Asking how the story goes...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
thirteen03

Asking how the story goes...

#1 Post by thirteen03 »

I want to ask about the story goes in some Renai games (or like bishoujo games :twisted: ). Is that event based or relationship based?

Event based is like when there is the choice, if you choose option A you will go to event A or something like that. Relationship based is if you choose option A the relationship with girl A increase/decrease by some point or something like that. Nah, that two base is not called like that actually :D .

Can we make game with that 2 base with Ren'py? And which is easier to make? Or am i go to the wrong forum again? I think the question is about how people make game with Renpy better...

Tony

#2 Post by Tony »

Check out the RenPy demo, it clearly shows you that you can make both gameplays.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'm not sure I understand your question.

There are two kinds of games. Basic Ren'Py games support making decisions based on menus, but they also support making decisions based on variables. So it's possible to have a user choice update a relationship variable, and then go back to common code until another choice, and so on. Then you can branch on the variable at the end, to decide which ending the player gets.

The Garden Society: Kykuit is like this. There are hidden variables corresponding to each character, and the choices you make change the values of those variables. At the end, the game compares the variables, and decides which ending to give you.

A game like this, all of the events occur in some well-defined order, and the game engine simply decides which events to show you, or not show you, based on the value of the variables.

In another type of game, the events may occur in any order. In one game, event A may occur before event B, but in another event B may happen before event A. The DSE is used for this. It uses the state of the game to choose the events to show to the user from a list of events. Part of this state can be variables giving the relationship levels of various characters, so one can have deepening relationships trigger more intimate events.

Finally, there's the issue of hidden versus shown variables. In all of the cases, one can either hide the variables or show them to the user. It's really up to you which you consider to be superior.

So I think the answer to your question is "yes, Ren'Py can do that", even though I don't quite know what the question exactly is.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Also, to make it even simpler...

The Winn Freddie game is point-based (relationship goes up and down)
The Moonlight Walks game is choice-based (option triggers event)

If you take a look at both the game scripts, you'll find out how to write them.
Winn Freddie is here, and Moonlight Walks is inside the Ren'Py demo in the "scripts" folder.

thirteen03

#5 Post by thirteen03 »

Yes, that's what I mean :D