Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate [RPG|Politics] (Demo v2!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate [RPG|Politics] (Demo v2!)

#1 Post by Coren »

Download Demo v2.01 Here

"Hate me. Please just hate me. And forgive everyone else."

Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate is a fantasy RPG game with multiple endings.

A child whose existence shrouds the world.
Something like that shouldn't have been left alive.
... It's all just too cruel.

Genre: Fantasy, drama, thriller, some romance.

Fifteen years ago marked the beginning of the end.

A country at the verge of war with another postponed its plans thanks to the arrival of a strange young man on a canoe, here to tell them that he would give it all up for the sake of the person he cares for. And then, he realized that it was too late to back out. At that time, a young woman discovered a life-draining, world-ending artifact. She accepted no credit for her discovery. Two years later, the first revolution began. Many died. A man named Dave Shrubalt was killed.

A woman told her son, they were to destroy a monster who killed innocent people in cold blood just to fulfill his own desires. It has been ingrained within his mind since he was five. It was trapping, traumatizing, and utterly restrictive. She was a mother who sacrificed her love for her own son just for revenge. He never would have been able to regain the life he could have lived. And for that very purpose, he sought the Cole's Gate - that cold, cruel artifact which would drain the world of all life. And that is where one story ends and another begins. He will meet that person, and there will be no turning back.

Actually, there was never any turning back in the first place.

(For images, as well as more characters, go to the main site.)

Ray Shrubalt

One of the main protagonists, a young man who works with his mother as a servant to the governor of Sydea, a capable man named Alben Lapurett. What Lord Lapurett does not know, however, is his last name and his lineage - he is a decent swordsman who can make use of light magic, a powerful element but one that is limited a sense. Unlike traditional mages like Valoria who use their inherent magic supply on weak elemental spells, light spells will deplete magic from the user so strongly that it will never be replenished, and if used too much would kill said user. He inherited this ability from his late father, Sir Dave, an old knight of Lord Lapurett's court.

???
Fifteen years ago, a man named Cole Larens stumbled upon the artifact of death which would later be called the Cole's Gate. He led a cult worshiping that power, in a mad feat to bring about an apocalypse, or so they say. The Forest of Death, where the Cole's Gate is located, is closer to Sydea than any other city. This is the teenager who claims to be that man, to a torn and tired Ray Shrubalt one achingly painful dawn.

Valoria Lapurett
A charming and capable young lady who is the sole daughter of Lord Alben Lapurett, governor of Sydea. She is a semi-skilled mage who can wield the elements of ice, wind and earth, all to a rather limited extent. She gets along well with the servants, and is friendly and charismatic. Her mother, Liana Lapurett, died a little more than three years prior to the story due to what the public knew as an illness.

Janelle Emerleaf
A young, cheerful maid of the Lapurett house, who works for the governor along with her older brother, Lorenzo Emerleaf. Sometimes, she tends to have her head in the clouds, and sometimes, she can be surprisingly down-to-earth. She holds a keen interest in the abstract, and has an affinity with numbers. Speed is her strong suit, and her ability to get chores done at record speed is rather impressive.

Simon
A young man who supposedly had a message for Lord Lapurett from the capital city, Nivandrox, from which Sydea was made independent of less than two decades ago. He knows his court manners and his flattery, but behind the backs of nobility he can be quite the annoying lout.

"Tom"
A strange mercenary whom Valoria met in a cave not far from Sydea's outskirts. He appears to have some kind of link with the Cole's Gate.

In-Game Areas

The City of Sydea
Sydea has been independent from the main capital of Nivandrox for around twenty years. The governor of the city is Governor Alben Lapurett, and due to how disastrously close the city is to the Forest of Death, it has caused much worry to him.

The Forest of Death
The forest of death is the nickname of the place where the Cole's Gate resides. Due to its disastrous influence, many have suffered in this short time of over fifteen years. It is also the residence of its cult, lead by Cole, that possesses the power to manipulate darkness.

Affected Area
The Cole's Gate is said to be able to reduce the entire continent into a lifeless land mass in a mere century by absorbing the life energy of everything around it. So far, the area around it that has been destroyed it called the affected area, and nobody dares to step within these grounds.

The Kingdom of Nivandrox
Nivandrox is a flourishing capital, led by King Anryens. They are located across the Forest of Death from Sydea, though there is a roundabout way around the Affected Area that allows messengers from both cities to make contact. King Anryens hasn't contacted Sydea much since its separation, but then the arrival of the mysterious visitor Simon seems to counter that.

The Kingdom of Palendine
A country across the ocean. Tension between Palendine and Nivandrox has been fluctuating, almost turning into a full-blown war around fifteen years ago, but prevented due to Nivandrox stocking up their supplies after receiving advance notice. This tension has yet to break into war so far.

Tutorial
Click on Game.exe to start the game.
Game Screen
Use the arrow keys to move around the map.
To interact with people or objects, press Spacebar.
Menu Screen
To access the Menu, press Esc.
Use the up and down arrow keys and spacebar to click on tools in the menu.
Battle Screen
Attack – Attack with your currently equipped weapon
Magic – Use a skill, consuming MP.
Defend – Reduce the damage taken by any attacks for that round.
Item – Use an item.

DOWNLOAD
A Demo version of the game has been uploaded. You can download it below:

Current Version: Download Demo v2.01 Here
Last edited by Coren on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Julie
Regular

Re: Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate [RPG/WIP/BXG/GXB]

#2 Post by Julie »

This looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I have seen this on deviantart before. xD

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#3 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Wow!
That's cool!
I ever made some rpg games, but with rpg maker vx
I want to combine VN and RPG but I think I can't do it yet...
since I can't make RPG sprite ^^
and not even one VN I actually finished yet xD
I hope I can finish it soon though,..

I'm looking forward to this one!
Good luck~~

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

oh, i've seen this on deviantart many times
and been waiting many times too XD
this looks awesome and unique!~
i'm looking forward to the demo!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#5 Post by Coren »

Julie wrote:This looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I have seen this on deviantart before. xD
Yep, that would be either posted on my DA (Daydreamy-Stupor) or my artist's (3leavesclover). Thanks for your support. ^^

Julie
Regular

#6 Post by Julie »

I will be stalking this thread. I can't wait for the demo! How long will it be and by when will it be released? :D I think the protagonist looks hot! ^^

Oh and I also noticed that the art style for Janelle and Simon is different from Ray and Valoria. Was that intentional? ^^

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#7 Post by Nellie »

Wee... Multiple ending RPG! Haven't played RM games for a while. Looking forward =D

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#8 Post by Coren »

@Julie: They are less major characters and already have pre-made custom facesets by the RPG Maker Japanese fans, so I decided not to bother 3leaves with them. ^^ In fact, I started off without planning for those two to have facesets at all, they were merely a later addition.

@Nellie: Thanks! After all, I started off planning this project as a visual novel, but then I got so helpless with ren'py I decided to switch back to a more familiar system.

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

#9 Post by James »

I can see you spent a lot time on this project. Like the others reading this tread, you've got my attention and a supporter for your RPG/VN. Keep up the great work, I'm excited to see how Cole's Gate will turn out!

Since this is a feed back section, I do feel that I should give you some feed back on your hard work. Your story plot and art work is great. The only thing I could offer you a few grammar tips for the story section. I may sound nick-picky, but seeing how the story synopsis is one of the first things people read as a determining factor to download your game. I feel it's important to polish it.

They were dealing with a complete monster who killed innocent people in cold blood just to fulfill his own desires."
You use a third person personal noun "They" at the start before using any noun (wife, son,). As a result we don't had a clear idea who "they" are. I'd suggest changing "they" to the protagonist name so it sounds personal and clearer.

Suggestion: "Ray and his mother were dealing with a complete monster who killed innocent people in cold blood just to fulfill his own desires."

And for that very purpose, he sought the Cole's Gate. A life-draining, world-ending artifact.

And that is where one story ends and another begins.

He will meet that person. And there will be no turning back."
My old English teacher told me that as a rule, you don't want to start sentences with conjunction words (and, but, yet, or). It will make the sentence choppy, short, and run-on. However the grammar rule on conjuction words are changing, since we use it all the time to start sentences in dialogs. So, it's up to you if you want to change it. After all the way you wrote it does give off a mysterious/suspense tone.

Suggestion: "For that very purpose, Ray sought out the Cole's Game. A life-draining, world-ending artifact. This is where one story ends and another begins. Ray will meet that person, and there will be no turning back."
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#10 Post by Coren »

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them. :)

However, personally I do prefer keeping to a more mysterious and suspenseful style for the synopsis, and thus I don't particularly like making use of the characters' names themselves. I like to stick to a style where the reader will first see the story in its ambiguity, be possibly drawn by the hook of it and continue to the characters section. I'm not sure if it's like that for the others, but seeing names and essay-like sentences in the synopsis sort of makes the story less intriguing for me.

So thanks for the feedback, but I will stick to it for now. ^^;

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Ah, yes, I remember this.

Are you still advertising for voice actors?
deviantART
---------------------

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#12 Post by Coren »

lepapillonrouge wrote:Ah, yes, I remember this.

Are you still advertising for voice actors?
Yep, and that will be going on for quite a while since I'm more focused on the plot right now.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#13 Post by Snowflower »

Oh wow, a RPG with VN twist!!!!!!!!
I'm really excited for this. The art you've used for the leading roles are well-drawn. Hm... the title said GxB, does that mean Ray is not the only MC you have to play with? GYAHHHH because I am in love with Ray, his picture, and his description <3
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#14 Post by Coren »

Snowflower wrote:Oh wow, a RPG with VN twist!!!!!!!!
I'm really excited for this. The art you've used for the leading roles are well-drawn. Hm... the title said GxB, does that mean Ray is not the only MC you have to play with? GYAHHHH because I am in love with Ray, his picture, and his description <3
Yep, the point of views switch a lot. Really, really often. :D So often that it's probably going to be a controversy to call Ray the main character. I aim to be able to show multiple perspectives as much as I can.

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Kirroha wrote:
Julie wrote:This looks good! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I have seen this on deviantart before. xD
Yep, that would be either posted on my DA (Daydreamy-Stupor) or my artist's (3leavesclover). Thanks for your support. ^^
yeah, i deviant watch 3leavesclover so i'm familar wiith
this game
and np
im sure that this game is going to be great :D