Ethnicities in VNs : A Question! :O

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

Ethnicities in VNs : A Question! :O

#1 Post by Elenakiara »

Hey everyone! xDD

I was wondering about this, but I didn't want to derail the other thread that was asking about what types of guys you like in VNs. xD

Basically, I wanted to know:

1. Are there ethnicities that you'd like to see more often?
2. Do you think that it's possible to keep to a non-stereotypical personality without the character losing their 'heritage' in a way? xD

:3 It's not for my current VN, but possibly the one after it and might help some other VN makers here too! =D
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Ethnicities in VNs : A Question! :O

#2 Post by Aleema »

I dunno about #1, but #2 is "very yes." This is something we're exploring inside and out in RockRobin, since it's set in America. I'd like to see more games set in America, since it's a "melting pot," or if not America, just not pseudo-Japan.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

1. I'm a little hmmm on this one, but I've always been interested in seeing Australians in a VN c:
2. Definitely not impossible. Oddly enough I'm trying to rack my brain for examples since I know there's a lot, but I'll get back on that later since I'm still kind of sick :c
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#4 Post by Megumi »

1) I truthfully don't know. ^^"

2) Yes. But not THAT much. I think so, at least.
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#5 Post by Elenakiara »

@ Aleema: Ohh, yes, I am keeping RockRobin in my "I can't wait to play" lists! xD It's true that there aren't really many VNs set in America. :O One of the ones I want to make later would be set in Canada. x3
@ MaiMai: Australians? xD That's cool. :3 I'd have to study a lot just to know what phrases and expressions are more common! xD And don't worry about not finding any examples right away, you get well! :3
@ Megumi: :3 I will try to read some books that have that to see how authors can usually get around the second question's problem. xD
And seriously, are you stalking me today? :O
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#6 Post by Megumi »

Well, at first I wanted to say it was possible. I mean, people that had parents of different origins tend to have different comportments than the typical 'pure' origin people. (wtf, I am not making sense)

But I cannot deny that there is a limit to that. I mean, yesterday, I was on a chatroom with tons of asian and we just watch a video on youtube called 'Asian Parents 3'.... And we were all like 'yes, this is my life.'

...No.

BUT I SWEAR YOU ARE.
First rule of the stalker: never admit you are stalking. XD

Just kidding.
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

Julie
Regular

#7 Post by Julie »

1. I am a little unsure about this but variety is always good. :)
2. Of course! As long as it's done right, it will be fine. I can't give much advice on this since I haven't really done it though. xD More research always helps. ^^

Which reminds me, I haven't replied to my 'type of guy' thread yet. Thanks for reminding me. xD

Elenakiara
Veteran

#8 Post by Elenakiara »

Megumi wrote:Well, at first I wanted to say it was possible. I mean, people that had parents of different origins tend to have different comportments than the typical 'pure' origin people. (wtf, I am not making sense)

But I cannot deny that there is a limit to that. I mean, yesterday, I was on a chatroom with tons of asian and we just watch a video on youtube called 'Asian Parents 3'.... And we were all like 'yes, this is my life.'

...No.

BUT I SWEAR YOU ARE.
First rule of the stalker: never admit you are stalking. XD

Just kidding.
Nah don't worry, you are making sense! :3 I have a friend who describes herself as a banana for her personality: yellow on the outside, white on the inside. >.> xD So it also depends around who and where the person grows up too I think! :O
I'm sure you're stalking me! D: I'm scared now!! xDD

@ Julie: Haha xD Thanks for your answer! I didn't actually answer your thread yet... :O xD I feel shy for some reason. xD

Julie
Regular

#9 Post by Julie »

You're welcome! :D Why feel shy? Feel free to post your type of guy in there! It will help a lot of people for their games! And yours too! ^^

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#10 Post by Miss-Mae »

1. Yes! I think we need more than just Japanese and Caucasian(sp?) people. :3
2. Of course! :)

I actually know how you feel. It's good to see a variety in characters. I admit that I myself don't use nearly enough ethnic people. I really must try and keep this in mind. ^^;
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

Julie
Regular

#11 Post by Julie »

Sometimes it's quite hard to create characters of different ethnicity if you're not familiar with them. They can turn out wrong if you're not careful. ^^ It's always best to stick with what you know first, then branch out later on. ^^

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#12 Post by Pyonkotchi »

1. Yes Definitely! I'd love to see more Hispanic characters actually.
2. It's not impossible. but it is easy to use them, especially since they're always around us. it's not a bad thing. but it is kinda iffy

if ya DO want to add stereotypes, Try not to exaggerate them. unless your like. making a comedy or parody.

adding more characters of that ethnicity is better. Don't add just the Token Guy. especially if you do add a stereotype to him. because he's really stick out more. get me?

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#13 Post by Melkoshi »

Well, personally i'm all for games set in places other then japan. For example, my game is set in England, and the cast is all different, and even then I try not to use stereotypes, if I do it's against the flow(or in a way that's important to the game in some way).
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

Elenakiara
Veteran

#14 Post by Elenakiara »

@ Julie: Yes, I think that I'll gather my energy and ideas and post there sometime today! xD :3 Also, maybe it should be good when people on these forums will comment, since they might know their ethnicities a little bit better than us. xD

@ Miss-Mae: Yes, it's definitely harder when we don't exactly know some ethnicities enough to represent them well. xD I think that it's a matter of practice too. Like, after the first story, we can start getting used to writing and representing certain people. :O I think that that's why these WIP threads are helpful, so that people can poke you if they think that your characters are too stereoptyped already or not! :3

@ Pyonkotchi: More hispanic? I'm glad that I have a latina best friend! xDD It will be somewhat easier. xD And yeah, it's true that putting only one and having all of the others that are the same will make him seem more obvious and contrasting(if that's even a word xD).

@ Melkoshi: Ahh, true. So, in other words, not stereotypes, but still have some possible character traits that show that the text isn't written for all caucasions(for example xD), but then stuck on different people?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

Miss-Mae wrote:1. Yes! I think we need more than just Japanese and Caucasian(sp?) people. :3
There is Janet at least! :)

I tend to include Hispanic characters to my games set in the US, but they're not always particularly noticeable, or if people do notice them they don't say anything. While many people have commented on Janet's background, I've never seen anyone discuss Rafael's. (Also, his situation is slightly confused by... unusual geography, to avoid spoilers.)

I suppose I'd like to see more people writing about whatever their personal backgrounds happen to be so that they can provide interesting details?