Host Clubs in Japan

For the rest of your otaku life.
otomegirl24
Regular
Projects: Kiss & Tell [WIP]

Host Clubs in Japan

#1 Post by otomegirl24 »

Okay, so I randomly stumbled upon this video on Youtube about this Host Club Bar called Club Air that's located in a bar district in Japan. It's a place where good looking Japanese men are paid to serve women. Like serving drinks, complimenting or flirting, sharing small talk, that sort of thing. Basically, it's pretty much the same as the anime/manga Ouran High School Host Club, except with some drinking.

I felt myself get really embarassed watching it mostly because I knew I would've been acting all shy from getting so much attention. The woman that had gone to the Host Club in the video was American and at first I thought that gaijin/outsiders weren't aloud in Host Clubs, but I guess it all depends? So what are your thoughts on Host Clubs in Japan? Would you ever consider going to one to feel like a princess, think they're too superficial, etc?

Link to Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur52kvHf ... re=related

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

Re: Host Clubs in Japan

#2 Post by Alera »

I wouldn't go. XD

It sounds and looks all so cool, but nyah- just to look at it from aside. I don't have that much courage. :'P
On the 2 Anime conventions in my country I have been to- there was a mini host club+maid/geisha café. It was pretty cool to watch. (Because it was just an area, it wasn't in a different, closed hall or something.) And the first time- there was an auction. And they were selling the host club's menu there- the girls went crazy and were going to kill each other to have it. XD Funny thing~
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#3 Post by Miss-Mae »

Oh wow, that was so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

As for me, err... I'd be embarrassed as hell.... But I can't say I wouldn't try it. It looks like it might be interesting to try, though (and they sure are good looking *0* <3 ).
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Host club is kinda like night club or bar, so it's for those who enjoy night life (not for everyone, and especially not for minor). So you could say it hostess for lady.

Maid cafe is a cafe (so it's a cafe for "day" life, and minor could enjoy it too), where all the servants (or server? what do you call them in English) dresses like (french) maids. Otakus enjoy them a lot ^_^

With more and more animes and mangas depicts beautiful butlers (or hosts), they begin to think why don't we make maid cafe for the girls. BAM, and we have butler cafe. Instead of cute and moe (or other stereotypical personality) maids, we get handsome, nicely dressed young man in butler uniform. Costumers will get lady-like treatment, just like in the anime/manga ^_^

I guess this is the best you can get for host club alternative.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Erumi-On
Regular

#5 Post by Erumi-On »

I really laughed watching it xD
I already thought that the idea of these "clubs" was weird just by watching Ouran High School Host Club, but it's worst in real life.

I mean, it's probably not cheap and the way they force the girl to drink annoys me a bit. Because you can see that they do it for works.(they don't say "Consume consume!" but they mean it)
It's normal she is embaressed, who wouldn't ? Alone with something like 5-10 "handsome"* men in front of you ?
(*= as far as we can consider them handsome)
This video probably doesn't show what really happen in these clubs anyway. Like LVUER, I think it's mostly night clubs for girls. It makes more sense this way.

I would rather go to a maid/butler cafe = )

Thanks for sharing ^^

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Haha. There's actually a girl's version of a host cafe as well, and a bar with girls in maid outfits.

I'd totally go for the butler cafe, or even the danso cafes (which are just girls dressed in butlere outfits) more than anything else. Especially Butler's in Shibuya..because the guys there are Western (Caucasian mostly) XD So I can just cheerfully talk in English instead of Japanese. ...I think most of them speak English.
deviantART
---------------------

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

lepapillonrouge wrote:Haha. There's actually a girl's version of a host cafe as well, and a bar with girls in maid outfits.
Yupo, hostess club (or whatever it's called). I don't know which one appear first (though my bet is hostess first), but a bar/night club where girls accompanies men to drink already exist from the pre-WW2 (or in Japan, perhaps in samurai era).

There's no sex in this club. Only "friends" for drinking. That's why, not only good looking, you also have to have smart brain, smart-talking, and knowledgeable, and up to trend/latest news too... At least this is the case for a host (don't know for hostess). Really, it's hard to be a (popular) host. But if it's your job, you have to do it right, right?

There's also kind of host and hostess club in my country too... but here, in reality there are lots of "illegal conducts" in the club to get more money (if you know what I mean)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

machinist
Regular

#8 Post by machinist »

wow i thought when i watched ouran high school host club
they were exaggerating but i guess host clubs for women really exist lol

expensive stuff!!