Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#541 Post by musical74 »

Back when Aerosmith was really popular, there was a video game called Revolution X, where one of the main weapons...was CDs! It was a shooter, but found it funny that more often than not, it was *throw CDs at everyone and everything*... geeez does this date me? LOL

Everyone knows in RPGs you have to kill lots and lots of things to level up (grinding)...what about a RPG where you get rewarded for NOT doing that? In other words, instead of *kill opponent needlessly* there's a *peace option* that allows you more experience if it works? Obviously, not every opponent will agree to that, but if you get 400 XP for killing a dragon and 1,000 XP for the peace option, upon finding out that the dragon was just defending it's young...I think that would be a neat idea!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

blakjak
Veteran

#542 Post by blakjak »

It'd be a cool way of implementing a touch of diplomacy through maybe a series of multi choice dialogues prior to the battle. I think it's a neat idea, certainly adds variety.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#543 Post by gekiganwing »

Much earlier in the Ideas Dump thread, there was a game concept titled Tactical Break, which sounded a bit like the Sakura Wars series with a different perspective. That said, my new idea is a little similar, and a little different. It would take place in a world where men do not exist in the military. Maybe that's part of the culture, or maybe the story takes place after an event that killed nearly all men. Regardless, it would be the story of a unit of girls and their relationships. The girls' lives could be exciting or traumatic, and the gameplay could combine visual novel, life simulation, and combat. Either way, they would know that once their time in the military ends, so might their relationships. Are the girls planning to stay together, or are they lesbians until graduation? Do the girls have interest in civilian boys?

Regarding the idea of using art as weapons or defense... That sounds like the concept known as item crafting. Depending on how it's implemented in a video game, this can be clever or tedious.
musical74 wrote:... geeez does this date me? LOL
Don't worry, I also remember Revolution X. I was playing Chrono Trigger and Civilization at the time, but I heard about it. (The later part of the 16-bit era was a memorable time, since support for old consoles was dwindling, and a lot of the systems that were new at the time were failing.)
musical74 wrote:In other words, instead of *kill opponent needlessly* there's a *peace option* that allows you more experience if it works? Obviously, not every opponent will agree to that...
The relevant tropes here would be the exceptions to "RPGs equal combat" and some examples of media in which violence is not the only option.

The most recent RPG that I played in which the player has alternatives to "kill enemies / non-intelligent creatures" was the PSP remake of SMT Persona 1. The party is allowed to negotiate with foes, which sometimes works, and which may be preferable to combat.

blakjak
Veteran

#544 Post by blakjak »

the exceptions to "RPGs equal combat" was a very enlighting read.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#545 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Hmm, I just thought about this when I was reviewing for our local Literature class.

I wonder if there is somebody who can do visual or kinetic novels for local myths and epics?

There are these epics in our country named Bidasari (I don't know if that's really the real version of Bidasari so here's the Tagalog one if anybody can read this. XD), Tuwaang, and some more myths, legends, and other stories written by our local writers like Florante and Laura.

I'm just suggesting in this one that maybe we can use our local myths, legends and stories to our own. Hey, we should be proud of our nationality after all. ^^

sorani
Veteran

#546 Post by sorani »

LVUER wrote:I forget the title, but there is a manga like that (is it Art Deco or Artcon-something)? Or something like that. It have something to do with art in the title).

In this manga, artist is a title for someone who fight using art... or rather making art as a weapon. The protagonist is a clay sculptor who could sculpt everything into any shape as if they are clays. And then there is painter guy who could turn anything (including human) into painting. And so on.
I believe it is called Artist Acro.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#547 Post by LVUER »

Yes, yes, that's right ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#548 Post by IonicMomo »

I would love to see a GxB fan game based on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. With Mina Murray (or a fill-in) as the protagonist, and with Jekyll/Hyde, Quatermain, and Griffin as potential love interests (I doubt Nemo would be interested in pursuing Mina, but who knows?). Or if you really want to go the movie route, throw in Dorian Gray and Tom Sawyer as well.

Or even a different incarnation of the League with all new characters would work. In fact, create anything peripherally related to LXG, and I would love you forever. :D

(Just to clarify, I know the actual story is very dark, and I realize some of these characters are near-psychopathic in the comic, so obviously their personalities might have to be altered for the purposes of realism.)
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#549 Post by SusanTheCat »

IonicMomo wrote:I would love to see a GxB fan game based on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
* snip *
(Just to clarify, I know the actual story is very dark, and I realize some of these characters are near-psychopathic in the comic, so obviously their personalities might have to be altered for the purposes of realism.)
I think this would be an awesome game.

It could work if the characters more like the ones in the movie. But my evil side likes the dark themes in the comic. :twisted:

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#550 Post by SusanTheCat »

Is it a double post if there are two weeks between postings?

Idea spawned from the secondhand art thread:

Have all the sprites be drawn in completely different styles.

Setting ideas:
- convention
- casting call for new VN
- awards show
- family reunion

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#551 Post by papillon »

Another from the lands of having a weird dream one night...

"My best friend is a sex god!"

So (female) you're walking along minding your own business when suddenly your best friend (male) (who you love dearly but in a non-romantic fashion, largely because he's never shown the slightest sign of being interested in you) shows up. And he's... changed. Somehow, he's gone from cute normal guy to walking wet dream. He is inhumanly gorgeous, shedding bishie sparkles as he walks, wearing practically nothing, and proclaiming that he wants you - and it's taking every ounce of self-control in your body not to be shagging him mindlessly up against the wall of a building in broad daylight.

Unfortunately:

1. You already have a boyfriend.
2. You really, really do not want to give in to being swept off your feet just because a boy has had a makeover, especially when if he'd just TOLD YOU in the first place, when you were single, you might have been able to work things out. Giving in now based purely on looks would be shallow!
3. There's something fishy here. Becoming unbelievably gorgeous in a short timespan sounds like magic. And magic that makes someone sexually irresistible is bound to come with a high cost.
4. Sexually irresistible. If you don't get some distance and a cold shower, you really are going to be screwing mindlessly with no thought of the consequences until one or both of you passes out from exhaustion. This is a bad end!

LVUER
King of Lolies

#552 Post by LVUER »

Hard to believe I heard that idea from you, papillon ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#553 Post by Lotus »

I briefly toyed with a cute little story about a girl and a forest spirit but I dropped it because it didn't hold my interest. If anyone wants to pick this story up, I wouldn't mind. Basically, it was about this young female artist who found a spot in a forest that she liked, and visited everyday. Here's what I got of the story before I lost interest:
I like to draw. I consider myself an artist, but I'm not really sure if I am. I've never really painted before, mostly because I didn't have inspiration of what TO paint.
At least, not until I found my spot.
There is a spot in the woods near a local park where I go to relax. Sometimes I sketch. Sometimes I daydream. Sometimes I just sit and think.
Almost every time that I go there, I think I feel a presence there along with me. At first this scared me a little, but over time I got used to it.
I figured it was all a figment of my imagination.

Nothing fancy, I was just trying to get the idea down.

The images I've attached are also free to use so long as you leave a link to my Deviantart profile, http://thelotuspwns.deviantart.com/ . You can use the story idea without a credit, just go crazy xD
Attachments
Tree Spirit PSDs.zip
ZIP file containing two versions of the original PSD, one with merged sprite layers and one with the sprite layers intact.
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
PNG without Sprites. You may edit and use this for whatever you want so long as you credit.
PNG without Sprites. You may edit and use this for whatever you want so long as you credit.
PNG with Sprites. You can edit and use this however you want with credit.
PNG with Sprites. You can edit and use this however you want with credit.

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#554 Post by pondrthis »

lastmousestanding wrote: You have the main character who seems to be an ordinary guy, but in his narration he continues to break the 4th wall and talk with the player.

Sounds like one of the main twists of the unbelievably popular VN "Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo". Except in that one, it's dialogue instead of narration,
and the guy is talking to his sister in the room with him. She's been excommunicated from society for her role in a rebellion and is barred from responding or being noticed by other characters.

And of course the next game that author wrote has a main plot point about split personalities. And, uh... I led its translation project.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#555 Post by LVUER »

Metal Gear Solid often break the 4th wall, and in a good (and "realistic") way.

DeviantArt Account