Digital: A Love Story

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lumag

Re: Digital: A Love Story

#76 Post by lumag »

Whaaah. Very nice game. Thank you very much. I enjoyed Uplink in the past (heh :)). And this game brings some of old school memories back.

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#77 Post by Chrizine »

Wow... A great game. I couldn't stop, though I long wanted to go to bed.
Just finished.
:cry:
Many many thanks.
I really liked the feeling of being in the story, to be the protagonist. Perfectly executed.
And it was good to not have to type or read all the replies. It fitted the athmosphere to not know.

Well, what else.
Thank you again. And again.
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

enchantedsleeper

#78 Post by enchantedsleeper »

I adore this game, it's the most original and absorbing VN I've played so far. The non-linearity of it is definitely something to be commended, though I have to admit that when it came to the crunch point and
I suddenly had to somehow try to find and contact *Paris
I had NO idea how to do so as I hadn't followed any paths that lead to him, by the looks of things.
I don't think I ever even read his name mentioned before that. :/
So the amount of free choice has actually kinda done me in, and since I read that message that
told me *Emilia was an AI and had been murdered
I knew I'd obviously 'gone the wrong way' and it didn't seem like there was any point playing the game any more, even though there are still things that I can do on it.

Now I'm trying to summon up the energy to play the game again and do it 'right', but reading through the messages in this thread, spoilers and all, it seems like the path which leads to the 'right' ending is massively complicated. Maybe another day...

But on the other hand I feel like any other VN I could play at this point would seem massively unoriginal and boring compared to this one. xD Maybe I'll just take a nap.

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#79 Post by Machus »

enchantedsleeper wrote:I adore this game, it's the most original and absorbing VN I've played so far. The non-linearity of it is definitely something to be commended, though I have to admit that when it came to the crunch point and
I suddenly had to somehow try to find and contact *Paris
I had NO idea how to do so as I hadn't followed any paths that lead to him, by the looks of things.
I don't think I ever even read his name mentioned before that. :/
So the amount of free choice has actually kinda done me in, and since I read that message that
told me *Emilia was an AI and had been murdered
I knew I'd obviously 'gone the wrong way' and it didn't seem like there was any point playing the game any more, even though there are still things that I can do on it.

Now I'm trying to summon up the energy to play the game again and do it 'right', but reading through the messages in this thread, spoilers and all, it seems like the path which leads to the 'right' ending is massively complicated. Maybe another day...

But on the other hand I feel like any other VN I could play at this point would seem massively unoriginal and boring compared to this one. xD Maybe I'll just take a nap.
Maybe I'm wrong, but...
Isn't this a linear VN? As in, there's only one route? Emilia is supposed to die, and you do eventually find Paris. It's all about replying to the right post on the right board.
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

#80 Post by Chrizine »

Maybe I'm wrong, but...
Isn't this a linear VN? As in, there's only one route? Emilia is supposed to die, and you do eventually find Paris. It's all about replying to the right post on the right board.
That's exactly what I thought, too.
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#81 Post by Greeny »

Wow. This is absolutely brilliant. That's all I need to say.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Heartberry

#82 Post by Heartberry »

This was fantastic. I stumbled upon this game by pure luck and found myself immersed in the story. Although I have to agree with the other posters regarding the quick build up of romance between the main characters. Otherwise I felt that this game was a very solid and enjoyable title.

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#83 Post by Tachyglossus »

I admit, VN are a new media to me, so my exposure is limited, but I have to say that this was the best one I have played! It brought back such a feeling of nostalgia! The menu screen made me miss my Commodore, and the actual game interface made me miss my Amiga. Nostalgia is a double edged sword, though, and I admit it shook some less than happy times for me, so there was a personal bittersweet flavour to the game before the plot really took off. It made me reflect of my own past... oh wait, going off topic here and getting too personal.

Also, I got to learn things I didn't know before, which is always a bonus for me.

The plot was interesting, but at times frustrating knowing who to track talk to or where to go. I jumped a clue early on and wondered why I wasn't getting anywhere.
In other words, I figured that the string of numbers in the core dump would be a new connection, and I thought I had to use the dictionary password hacker to get access to Underground Library. When it didn't work after several long runs of the program, I left the game for another day. I only later figured out you learn of the Underground Library a bit later and then get someone explain the algorithm for passowrd replacement.
However, I loved the look, the feel, the plot, and even the little forum posts of rants and whatnot that weren't relevant to the actual plot. It was really immersive. At first I thought the quick develop of romance was awkwarnd, but after thinking about it, it made sense. Online romances seem to accelerate at alarming rates. I've seen it happen dozens of times, especially on role-play or depression oriented forums and chats. I only have theories as to why this happens, but it does. It is not always authentic or healthy, but it does.

I also loved that I didn't exactly see what 'I' wrote to people, but gathered what was said from people's responses and could imagine my own nuance, rather than be behind some script that I do not 'click' with. Some 'silent' protagonists bug me, but this worked out really well.

I mean, it wasn't perfect of course, but my complaints are over such minor things I'd feel nit-picky or petty to type them out.
Well that and the cliché of something non-human learning human love by the kindness or concern of some exceptionally caring human being. Wow, could I use the word human more in a sentence? Probably, but it may be less cohesive. However, I enjoyed the delivery of the plot and the reasoning that they were TRYING to learn about organics.

Aijoran
Completed: None Yet
Projects: Beastly Beauty (working title), Black Rose

#84 Post by Aijoran »

I am greatly enjoying this and it is very well pulled off although I'm having trouble getting into the underground library.... all messages are responded to and I got the one password for it but it's not working. D: any pointers?

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#85 Post by fioricca »

sdfhsg I can't lavish enough praise on this game. I just - everything is flawless, everything is genius. I never imagined that it was possible to create such a fantastic game without pictures but in this case the lack of images itself is a thing of beauty. Interacting with users on the BBS really felt as though I'm interacting with so many different characters, and I loved getting glimpses of their varying personalities from their messages. Everything is so haunting, so captivating; thank you for making this game.

Ramidel
Regular

#86 Post by Ramidel »

Aijoran wrote:I am greatly enjoying this and it is very well pulled off although I'm having trouble getting into the underground library.... all messages are responded to and I got the one password for it but it's not working. D: any pointers?
You need to
take advantage of the bug in the system's security. Whenever the Library changes its password, you have to add 1 to the last digit.

Aijoran
Completed: None Yet
Projects: Beastly Beauty (working title), Black Rose

#87 Post by Aijoran »

Ramidel wrote:
Aijoran wrote:I am greatly enjoying this and it is very well pulled off although I'm having trouble getting into the underground library.... all messages are responded to and I got the one password for it but it's not working. D: any pointers?
You need to
take advantage of the bug in the system's security. Whenever the Library changes its password, you have to add 1 to the last digit.
oh that's all? lol I must have overlooked that detail. Thanks!

Nebi
Regular
Projects: Greaves

#88 Post by Nebi »

This is very well done and an inspiration. I would gladly shake your hand Sir/Ma'am/AI.

Crusher
Regular

#89 Post by Crusher »

Just completed this one. I make this post not just about this game, but also about your other work "Don't take it personally, babe".

I have to say: You really have talent when it comes to interesting game mechanics and characters. The first novel I read from you was "Don't take it personally, babe" (let's call this "babe" from now on :D - and why isn't that posted here?) - I really *loved* reading all the messages I was not supposed to read. The concept was so great that I was literally excited everytime something new was coming. The same was the case here. I don't know why, but somehow these mail systems always get me in every game. It reminds me a little of a pen pal I once had. Every morning I was looking in my mailbox to see whether something new is in there and when it did I was more than happy.

Second thing I really enjoyed in both works: Through those messages you get a very deep insight of the characters, making it much more personal than conversations. That was especially clear in "babe", since you actually do both of it. But the messages seemed like you crawl into the minds of the other characters which was really great.
And some things are just wonderful. For example I remember a scene from "babe" where one character wrote a personal message about animes to compare it to relationships. That you desperately try to get the feeling back when you first watched it by listening to the OST and so on, but of course you will never feel the same again. That was such a beautiful message that I can't forget it.

What I did not like in both works is: A greater concept is missing. You have wonderful ideas and the ability to create scenes that are wonderful to read, but I always end up being disappointed when things finally end. In the case of Digital that wasn't really unexpected since the whole appearance doesn't give much room, but in "babe" the ending was just ridiculous and I was really really sad that it didn't turn out better. That one could easily have been one of my favorite novels.

About Digital specifically:
It was really fun at first, browsing through all the boards, but the more I progressed the more annoyed I was to constantly type numbers. Dial to this, wait for the sound to end, dial to that, wait for the sound to end, type in a number that doesn't work anymore, dial again, wait for the sound to end, type in another number that doesn't work either, dial again...although the concept itself was great that became veeery annoying. The little riddles were pretty good like remembering a mail from the start for a problem that occurs later - makes the player feel like a freaking genius :D.

Oh and something minor: The modem dialing was way too loud. I wanted to turn the volume pretty high because I enjoyed the Brother Android track so much, but every dialing made my ears bleed when I did that.

Well, that's it. I don't even know if you are in this message board anymore, but I guess it won't hurt to write that down anyway.

datamaru

#90 Post by datamaru »

I just finished and i can say this is a very good game. I love it! I haven't played such a good novel game in a while, and this is an inspiration for me. Thx for making such a great VN!