Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
reni344

Re: Matches & Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

#16 Post by reni344 »

In chapter 14 you have to get a letter from Mr.Darcy and you have to have kindness greater than 84. And be nice to Lady Lucas.

sporkysan
Regular

#17 Post by sporkysan »

Wow... Finished all of the endings except for Mr. Bingley's and Colonel Brandon's.

My favorite is the secret character. It was really sweet.
I second the fact that there should have been more scenes with him. I liked his confession, but I really wish they spent more time together and there was more suggestions that he was falling in love with her all over again/realizing he still loved her. Or maybe even maybe some kind of flashback to when they were in love.
I feel the other's pain though. Mr. Darcy is sooo hard to get. I ended up having to follow the flowcharts on the website to figure it out. I gave up after about 3 failed attempts. The first few times I ended up raising one stat too much and neglecting another one. Also ending 4 with Mr. Darcy is a little bittersweet, but very plausible considering how you get there.

Okay, so now for some pros and cons.

Pros: The Jane Austin stories were nicely woven together. The progression felt very smooth and made sense. I liked the use of stat building and I especially loved how the game gives you hints if your stats aren't high enough. The branching system is well done. It's hard to make a game with meaningful choices. The music was not distracting, but set the mood.

Cons: Some of the facial expressions looked weird. For example, there is one where it looks like Jane is winking at you. I don't remember what emotion that was suppose to convey, but it threw me off a little bit.

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of.

cyrus_zuo
Regular
Projects: Airport Mania: First Flight, Matches & Matrimony

#18 Post by cyrus_zuo »

Ending 7 is what I call the 'Empowered' ending. You get it by having an option to marry a suitor (Mr. Wickeby or Mr. Darcy) and then choosing not to do so.

I appreciated the kind comments about the game. It turned out to be a monumental project, and I think there are still plenty of flaws. I also enjoyed the secret character, and have heard several people say it was their favorite. I had initially intended to write a prologue with just that character as a flash game to make people aware of the full game, but am no longer planning on it.

Thanks for playing :)

kirianas

#19 Post by kirianas »

Really want to try it out so I look forward to the Mac version being finished!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#20 Post by Taleweaver »

Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by SusanTheCat »

I adore the game!

It is well written and dovetails the stories nicely together. I really liked the different levels of hints.

Good job!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

cyrus_zuo
Regular

#22 Post by cyrus_zuo »

Thanks so much for the positive replies. It certainly was a labor of love, and I'm really happy to see people enjoying it :).

A Mac version is now available from BigFishGames: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-ga ... index.html

Thanks for the link to Jay Is Games. That was a very nice review!

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#23 Post by Elze »

I can't get the Mac demo to work. ;_; I use a Mac OS X, version 10.5.8. I remember downloading other demos from Bigfishgames before and they've never worked for me.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#24 Post by jack_norton »

Congrats for getting the first (AFAIK) Renpy game on BFG. Funnily they never replied to any of my submissions in the past 3 years, so I assumed simply they weren't interested at all on VN/dating sim! I'll be curious to see how it does.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#25 Post by Tachyglossus »

Ha ha ha, my sister is a huge Big Fish Games junkie, although she mostly gets the Hidden Objects games from there. I might be able to coax her into getting this since she also likes Jane Austen. I mean, I know Harvest Moon isn't a true dating sim, it's just a farming sim with a bit of dating on the side, but she loves those games, so jumping to a tame dating sim isn't that big of a leap, is it?

cyrus_zuo
Regular

#26 Post by cyrus_zuo »

I wish the demo was working for you Elze. The game is also up on GameHouse now, so maybe that will work better?
http://www.gamehouse.com/mac-games/maci ... udice-tale

I was thinking Cute Knight was on BFG and I believe it is a RenPy game?
Definitely it isn't the normal thing for BFG, though based on the forum response there I was pretty happy. It seems most people are pleased with it. It's hard to introduce new game types to places that are focused on one type of game (HO games on BFG). I was glad it was given a chance by many players.

I see a lot of similarities between Harvest Moon and Dating Sims. In fact, playing Rune Factory: Frontier is what made me want to do a cross-fade on the facial expression changes in Matches & Matrimony. I thought it looked a lot better the way they had them in that game and wanted it in mine :).

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#27 Post by papillon »

No, my games on BFG were made in Game Maker, although I later did py-related ports for the Mac/Linux versions (which were never sold on BFG).

Fatal Hearts is the one people generally expect to have been a renpy game because it's a visual novel, but it isn't... and it's also the only one that still has no mac port, because it uses a lot of more outre GM functions that haven't yet been replicated.

Date Warp is RenPy but I never offered it to BFG at all; from what happened with DHSGiT I have this suspicion there would be a hue and cry over the content. And Science Girls they turned down (well, it is a geeky little game).

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#28 Post by SilverxBlue »

I played the game and I managed to get through 6 endings already and I admit I enjoyed every minute of it, the VN being based on Jane Austen's works was really an added bonus for me!
I pursued Mr.Wickeby first and well, he annoyed the hell out of me!! Even his ending was also annoying!!!
I liked the secret character though, he was really sweet.
Mr.Collins made me laugh most of the time, I already made the MC reject him twice and he still likes her more, what a unique yet easy-to-get character he was.

*Edit- I got Mr.Bingley's and Colonel Bradley's endings as well, and I can't get Mr.Darcy's ending argh!!! Even if I want to, my pride sort of stops me from looking at the walkthrough. :|
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Elze
Veteran

#29 Post by Elze »

The demo from Gamehouse works for me! :'D
If I purchase from BFG instead of Gamehouse, will I get a different file or are they just hosts that redirect to the same file? I'd prefer to get it from BFG but I don't want to end up with a game I can't open.

Elze
Veteran

#30 Post by Elze »

Managed to find out what's wrong with BFG's games. I was using an incorrect expander. xD Downloaded the correct one and purchases the game.
So far I've gotten 2 paths: Collins (of course) and the colonel. Loving the game so far! C: