Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom - fan made VN

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom - fan made VN

#1 Post by fleet »

22-finale1.jpg
22-day5-2.jpg
22-night6-2.jpg

Take on the role of Vera Blanc, a beautiful young woman who, after experimental brain surgery, gained the extraordinary ability to read other people's minds (sometimes, but not always)!
Following her recovery, Vera decided to use her unique ability to work alongside paranormal detective Brandon Mackey. Be immersed in the world of the supernatural as you play the detective!
Follow Vera and Brandon to a Caribbean island to investigate a phantom guarding a fortune in gold.
Will you be able to solve the mystery?
The game ending you get depends on choices you make. Game play includes a challenging mind reading mini-game.

This is a fan made visual novel, an original story based on the "Vera Blanc" characters, created by Winter Wolves Games (permission has been granted to use the characters). Familiarity with the the Vera Blanc characters is not required. Characters are introduced at the beginning of the game (the player has the option to skip the introduction).

The time period for this visual novel takes place after the two commercially released Vera Blanc games.

Download file is 26 MB, playing time is about 45 minutes.

EDIT: Updated to version 7, now playable on Windows, MAC and Linux systems using any web browser that supports HTML 5. Note: This is the PG13 version of the game.

Download from wolflore -> http://www.wolflore.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=102

No registration is required to download this version.
You may not upload this visual novel to any web site without my permission.
Last edited by fleet on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom

#2 Post by fleet »

Added screen shot.
Last edited by fleet on Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom

#3 Post by fleet »

deleted contents of post
Last edited by fleet on Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom - free

#4 Post by fleet »

The PG13 version is only available at wolflore.net
Last edited by fleet on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by fleet »

contents deleted
Last edited by fleet on Sun May 27, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bellice
Veteran

#6 Post by bellice »

I think some people might be put off by the fact that it's a different style from what we usually see here.
Personally, I simply prefer 2D art, which is why I'm hesitant to try it out.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#7 Post by KomiTsuku »

Alrighty, since I'm doing my quarterly reviews of various visual novels, I decided to check this one out because nobody else had.

Time for the Triforce of Review! I'm ranting for the aid of both the general audience and the author, so I'll be keeping story details out of it.

Art:
I won't lie, the graphics did turn me off, and I am willing to put dollars to pennies that it is the major reason that there hasn't been many reviewers. While the 3D images were blended well with the 2D background, there were some moments when it very clearly didn't look quite right. Also, several of the 3D sprites scared me. That's right, scared me. I will be seeing them in my nightmares. Also, there were some continuity differences between the different sprites. It wasn't highly noticeable, but enough that it distracted me for a little bit. It's a different style and it just doesn't hold up well.
Music/Interface:
I was ready to say that there wasn't any, then I noticed that I had forgotten to plug in my speakers. Then there still wasn't any. I turned my volume up to be sure. Then, when I was totally least expecting it, the ghost sfx went off and made me jump out of my seat. Totally spooked me. Anyway, personally, I'm glad there wasn't any music. As I'll discuss later, I think it would have thrown off the feel of the story. Last music note, why were there a few voiced dialogue lines randomly at the end?

As for the interface, there were certain things that got to me, some of them that reside in Novelty. I like scroll-back, for one. I missed a line of dialogue, wanted to go back and reread it, and couldn't. It happened more than once and really got under my skin. In a mystery game, the inability to go back to missed lines can cause you to miss a key point. Enough ranting about that. I liked the mind-reading mini-games, but as there was only two of them, it kinda went to waste. The map was a nice feature, but I ended up missing the right spot a couple times. Also, a textbox would have been nice.

Edit note: The gray bars on the side look awful, especially without the textbox. I'd recommend making sure that you adopt a specific picture size, if possible, and make the game to that.
Story:
I've spent the last two parts noticing the flaws of the game, but now I get to change things up. I enjoyed the story. It reminded me of the Hardy Boys books I read a long time ago. It was fun, interesting, and not incredibly cliched. I have not read Vera Blanc, so I was hitting this story with virtual no knowledge of the backstory, but the intro made up for that and brought me up to speed quickly. There were only a few spelling/grammar errors, which is something I am not used to. It was a very pleasant surprise. The tempo of the story flowed very smoothly and everything meshed near flawless. The quips between the characters were enjoyable, even if there were some old school stereotypes. Since this is a fan-made work, gonna overlook that. Besides, the stereotypes wouldn't still be in use if they weren't fun.
Overall rating:
Pass: Story
Fail: Art
Abstain: Music/Interface

As someone who has absolutely no talent at art, I know how it is to try and make something with limited resources. Now, if your story would have been crap, there would have been no way I could have given any sort of recommendation. The 3D art is not something I'm used to and there were enough minor bugs in the interface that I was on the fence on which way I vote on that section.
Final verdict: The story makes up for it, to a degree, and definitely worth a look at. Just don't expect to see the shiny anime-esque graphics you've all grown accustomed to. Sometimes you just have to read a visual novel for just the novel part.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by fleet »

KomiTsuku,
Thanks for the review. It's honest and straightforward, so I don't consider it ranting. :)
I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me where the spelling and grammar errors are so I can correct them. I had this proof read by four people, and I'd hoped we'd caught all typos.
I'm glad you liked the story. I can't draw worth a hoot. If somebody doesn't want to read/play the game because of the art is 'different', so be it. :wink:

Very respectfully,
fleet

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#9 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I haven't read it yet. I've never even played Vera Blanc so I didn;t really have the motivation to play.

so I'm just going to offer some tips for bringing in players. the first post the "advertising post" is lacking. Its rather bland with just one image. the picture of the two characters (who are small and almost easy to miss) and the name of the game in plain font. As much as many of us love to say "the art isn't important it's the STORY" The art does bring in potential players... I did notice a lot of us forgive 2d art more easily. 3D is a harder to pull off.
Now that being said. not everyone can draw, and not everyone can afford to commission artists. As a person who loves shiny artwork and is really critical about art, the lack of nice graphics in that first post makes me hesitant to try playing. But thats fine. I'm used to seeing indie games that don't have a perfect "kawaii desu ANimu style" and probably so are many other players too, We'll be able to ignore that.

even still, the one factor that kept me from playing, was the lack of description. I never played the game this is based on.
you should provide a bit more backstory. There are tons of VNs out there with varying art-styles and skills, each with its own qualities, but what makes me more inclined to play one over the other? The story seems interesting.
so, provide a bit of story, Who is she? what does she do? how did she get there? say just enough to hook the player in, without spoiling any details. and then BAM!! conclude summary. Make me ~want~ to find out what happens next. 8D

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by fleet »

@Pyonkotchi,
I appreciate the advice about advertising and have updated the first post. I hope it inspires you to take a closer look.

Very respectfully,
fleet

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by fleet »

Contents deleted
Last edited by fleet on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by fleet »

Updated first post.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom - fan made VN

#13 Post by fleet »

contents deleted
Last edited by fleet on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Vera Blanc and the Island Phantom - fan made VN

#14 Post by fleet »

Updated to HTML, now playable on Windows, Linux, and MAC systems using any web browser that supports HTML 5 files (conversion used techniques described by kexter). Link to download is in the first post.