[Demo!] The World is Made of Paper

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Re: [WIP] The World is Made of Paper

#31 Post by mysterialize »

Bam, title screen. If the demo's not out in the next two days, I will eat my laptop.

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

Re: [WIP] The World is Made of Paper

#32 Post by James »

Love the paper texture! Can't wait for new demo to come out.
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

mysterialize
Veteran

Re: [Demo!] The World is Made of Paper

#33 Post by mysterialize »

@James: Thank you! Also...

The demo is finally released!

Get the Windows version here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C2HV2OZ3

Mac and Linux versions coming tomorrow.

The demo is just over 37,000 words in length, with three full demo endings, and one bad end. It should take somewhere around one and a half to two hours to complete one playthrough. Quite a bit of the game changes depending on your choices, so I encourage you to play through it again if you like it.

A few notes on the current demo:

1. The default menu doesn't fit in the screen properly, and the return button gets covered up because of this. You can still exit it with the escape key, however. The only time it leaves you stuck is if you accidentally go into the loading screen from the title when you don't mean to. This should be fixed in the final version, once I have a custom menu.
2. I tried to include as many art assets as possible, but a couple things are still missing, such as a few sprite poses. It shouldn't really take away from the game.
3. Everything in this is colored with a mouse. I'm so, so sorry.
4. The age rating for the demo is probably somewhere around 15+, due to some strong language, and a bit of violence.

Finally: Critique, critique, critique! I want you all to tear this thing apart. Tell me everything I should improve. I want the full version to be as likable as possible.

mysterialize
Veteran

#34 Post by mysterialize »

Mac and Linux versions added. Unfortunately, the forum refuses to accept any of my direct uploads, so I was forced to use Megaupload. I can try to get some alternate mirrors up if they're requested.

Mac: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H9XRF5JJ

Linux: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FR3LCEYE

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#35 Post by Kura »

Huge congrats on getting the demo out! I haven't had a chance yet to play through the entire thing again, but the new CGs look great, and the interface and title screen are gorgeous.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

mysterialize
Veteran

#36 Post by mysterialize »

Kura wrote:Huge congrats on getting the demo out! I haven't had a chance yet to play through the entire thing again, but the new CGs look great, and the interface and title screen are gorgeous.
You're alive! Are you still around in Pittsburgh?

And thank you! No need to rush. I'm really glad you like the CGs, since, to be honest, I'm not too happy with them, myself. XD

Sailerius
Regular
Completed: Vacant Sky, The Vestibule, Ars Harmonia
Organization: Project BC

#37 Post by Sailerius »

How has this fallen to the third page without a single person commenting on the demo? :/

mysterialize
Veteran

#38 Post by mysterialize »

I don't know. I would kind of appreciate some feedback, at least of why people aren't showing any interest...

Ghurdrich
Projects: Five (WiP)

#39 Post by Ghurdrich »

I'm showing interest :D I feel like I'm a little late to the party, but if you want, I'll try and give as much feedback as possible.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#40 Post by broken_angel »

Well, this may or may not have anything to do with it, but 300MB is a pretty large file that will take some users hours to download...for a demo.

As for me, I've just been busy. But I'm downloading it now, so I'll let you know what I think once I've played it. C:

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

#41 Post by James »

Sorry about that, I meant to write a feed back, then real life stuff pop up and I forgot. I have played your game so allow me to write you a feed back.
The concept the an entire town may be unreal, got me interested. I was especially interested in the doctor, and how a person should react to his method of fringing a recovery when there was no physical harm. I was not sure if the accident still took place in mind or the alternative place, so I'm still a little confused about it. In general I think I understood what was being told (such as the ghost appearance is different to each person because it is psychological reason that everything you see is something you want to see at some subconscious level) but at the end of the game I was doubting myself if I interpreted your story right. Maybe I'm bad at reading surreal stuff. I do hope you could find someway to make things clearer, but in doing so you it may cause the VN to lose it's enigma which is part of it's appeal.

Your art is different more realistic and and I like how you chose darker colors to fit the mood. You did a very good job drawing picture and picking music for the VN. The visual cues were all there, especially with the dad and the t-shirt.

What I would've liked, is if you could talk a little more about the main character's history since it seems to play a big part to the story. I understood that he took off with the car for pizza delivery and that he wanted to find an "out" from his life, but from a logical perspective I think it's not a really convincing reason to commit a crime for that reason. Maybe a story flashback to explain his reasons further so the players can relate to the main character?
Once again sorry about getting this so late to you, please don't get discouraged!
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

mysterialize
Veteran

#42 Post by mysterialize »

Thank you, all of you! I guess I just wasn't drawing enough attention to the topic, somehow.

@broken_angel: The 300 MB file was a flub. I've long since reuploaded the correctly sized one, which is only a little more than 90 MB. Sorry for the trouble before.

@James: Thank you for the feedback. No worries about taking a while.
As for your interpretation of the ghost and such, you pretty much got it right. The reason why it looked different to everyone was because everyone had different things in mind when they went to the house. Things just started to get weird with Dion's version of it (The Muse) because of plot reasons that just haven't been revealed yet. I do intend to make things more clear over time. Some stuff will still be left open for interpretation, but you shouldn't find yourself lost in the full version.

I'll probably get more into Dion's past and mindset in the full version as well. Though, you're probably right that I wasn't clear enough at the beginning as to why he would do something so dramatic. I'll try to add a bit more to the opening monologue and such. Adding more pictures there might help, too.
I'm glad you like the art and music choices. I was kind of expecting the art style to push people away, since it's not really what people are used to around here. Apparently it looks good though, so hurray!

Also, I won't lie. I'm extremely proud of that T-shirt. I kind of want one.

mysterialize
Veteran

#43 Post by mysterialize »

After a somewhat busy summer, work has started back up on the full version of The World is Made of Paper. Quite a bit of writing is being done, and my new tablet will be put to good use.

Said tablet has also made me decide that I'm going to make multiple outfits for characters. People don't always wear the same clothes everyday in real life, and that's going to taken into account.

A couple of examples of new outfits, as well as a cleaned up version of Marianne's original shy sprite:

Melinoe
Regular

#44 Post by Melinoe »

This was really great. I don't know why you have so little feedback on the demo, but it was very good. The premise is definitely interesting, and, about Dion, he seemed introverted (maybe to the point of needing to seek mental help) from the start, but as the story progressed he seemed a little... saner. I don't know if that was because of the way he was set against a backdrop of insanity {/horrible wording}, or because he was fleshed out.

Either way, I really like Dion.

Marianne is interesting. My favorite character out of the cast, and you really start to wonder what's wrong with her. She seems very disoriented... As for Trevor and Jacob, they're great characters. Trevor seems like comic relief at first glance, but there's something interesting about him, isn't there? I don't know, I've only played the demo. And on Jacob, he makes me wonder why he hasn't been infected by the slipping reality. Why is he so put together? Of course, I may be over-analyzing... (but that gives me something in common with Dion, who is awesome, so... :D)

I agree with James: some backstory would be nice. Dion doesn't really seem like the type to have a horrible childhood, though... He does hate cliches...

Also, this.
Dion: So when do we start?
Jacob: The full version.
Dion: What?
END OF DEMO
Me: MWAHAHAHAHA! Down with the fourth wall!
(At least, that's what I would've done if I'd made it.
Definitely looking forward to the completion of the game.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." Lemony Snicket, The Slippery Slope

mysterialize
Veteran

#45 Post by mysterialize »

Thank you so much!

As for Trevor, no worries. Trevor does, in fact, have more to him than just being comic relief. He's an important character who just so happens to never take anything seriously.

Also, yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing when I wrote that demo ending. XD

Out of curiosity, what did you do the night of the gunshot? That's the major branching point in the demo, aside from the endings.