Commercial VN makers: How much do you spend on making games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Commercial VN makers: How much do you spend on making ga

#16 Post by DaFool »

I asked a similar question a while back:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=7661

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#17 Post by Snowflower »

Although I am not a commercial VN maker, I think the price may also correlate with how high of a quality you want the purchases goods to be.

On deviantart, I've seen artists offering commissions, even the good ones, as low as something like $5 for a sprite SET! but as high as $50+
CGs are MUCH more pricier.

As for the auditory aspect, I think sound effects are something that are unnecessary to buy, unless a very specific one if needed, since there are SO MANY free sound effects that'd sound exactly same free or purchased. But the OST is a different story. Some music makers may charge for one at a time, or offer you a package deal. Again, there are also many music makers that might be nice and offer you free service... it's difficult to find, but it may same you a lot of your hard earned dough.

Writing and coding, along with programming, I believe, are all something the original creator is fully capable of. So I don't see why you'd need someone to hire... maybe the programming...
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#18 Post by Blue Lemma »

When a topic like this comes up, I always think of this comic :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#19 Post by LVUER »

@Snowflower:
About this (free assets), I've made a similar thread, perhaps you want to read it -> http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ree+assets

@Blue Lemma:
Hmmmm... I can't seem to relate the comic strip with the topic... Perhaps it's just me.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#20 Post by Aleema »

LVUER wrote:@Blue Lemma:
Hmmmm... I can't seem to relate the comic strip with the topic... Perhaps it's just me.
The comic is basically saying: "Why should I help you?"
If developers help create their own competition, they'll eat away at their own profits. I think in the VN industry, we need to get over that greedy inkling in us so that our medium is more recognized, but I agree that that "why should I help you?" feeling is real and present, and there's really nothing you can do about it because money is at stake.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#21 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

Mirage wrote:
Friendbot2000 wrote:
Mirage wrote:I used to live in US before, and from what I know, I think you may need one if you have a real company, and if you have a large income. I say you would be fine as long as you regularly pay tax. (But don't count my word, since I'm not an expert in this field.)
I will look into that thanks :)

Where did you live in the U.S.?
I used to live in Seattle for 4 years, and 3 years in LA.
From what I heard, you need file tax if you earn more than 600 usd and you are in US. (Written in many sites like lulu/kongregate)
In the US, you need to file a Federal tax return including schedule SE if you make more than $400/year from self-employment (or more than $100 as a church employee). I believe the $600 figure is the threshhold at which your employers/vendors/whatever are required to file informational returns with the IRS (1099s and suchlike.) Schedule M and the EIC are likely to be your friends if you're a starving artist.

AFAIK, no region in the US requires you to incorporate, and there will be additional fees and regulation if you wish to incorporate; I'm not sure of the exact scope of the liability shield or even if it's allowed for individuals at all. (Obviously, I'm not a corporation.) Most (possibly all?) regions in the US require fictitious business name registration.

Business licenses and permits are generally a state and local matter rather than a Federal matter and may vary from city to city. Merely sitting in your house writing games *shouldn't* require a permit; having employees or selling/manufacturing physical copies of the games may. Selling physical copies will require sales tax registration in most states.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#22 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Aleema wrote:
LVUER wrote:@Blue Lemma:
The comic is basically saying: "Why should I help you?"
If developers help create their own competition, they'll eat away at their own profits. I think in the VN industry, we need to get over that greedy inkling in us so that our medium is more recognized, but I agree that that "why should I help you?" feeling is real and present, and there's really nothing you can do about it because money is at stake.
All the professional developers I've worked with have been more than happy to help people. They don't worry about creating competition, they worry about creating good team members to work with in the future and advance the video game industry as a whole. They know if they are good at what they do they will continue to get work.

What they CAN'T stand is people that continuously ask for help, like they can't do anything without a tutorial or a step-by-step guide. So there is a "question threshold" where they will answer any and all questions up to a point before getting exasperated and exclaiming - "Can't you do anything on your own? I figured most of this out for myself!"

The comic applies more to industries or professions that are not creative or team-based in nature, but those where individuals tend to get rich on their own.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#23 Post by Blue Lemma »

Yeah, my point was that it's not really in a successful VN developer's interest to answer the question. Some will, though, just because they're nice like that :) I'd consider answering it if I considered myself a "successful" VN maker at this point, but it's nothing you can really expect out of anyone.

I can say that if you want pro-quality art, you'll need to pay pro-rates. $40 is about the lower end for a good half-body from what I've found. Or you'll need to have a friend/contact who's enthusiastic about the project. You can also try the "art student" route, but your mileage may vary. I don't like to go that way since I think people who do work should get paid fairly for their work. Make sure you know about how much art you'll need upfront because it can add up QUICKLY.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#24 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Blue Lemma wrote:Yeah, my point was that it's not really in a successful VN developer's interest to answer the question. Some will, though, just because they're nice like that :) I'd consider answering it if I considered myself a "successful" VN maker at this point, but it's nothing you can really expect out of anyone.

I can say that if you want pro-quality art, you'll need to pay pro-rates. $40 is about the lower end for a good half-body from what I've found. Or you'll need to have a friend/contact who's enthusiastic about the project. You can also try the "art student" route, but your mileage may vary. I don't like to go that way since I think people who do work should get paid fairly for their work. Make sure you know about how much art you'll need upfront because it can add up QUICKLY.
Definitely. And if you can tell the pro-artist how much and exactly what you need in total up front, you might be able to work out a better deal for the entire project than paying sprite by sprite.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#25 Post by Snowflower »

LVUER wrote:@Snowflower:
About this (free assets), I've made a similar thread, perhaps you want to read it -> http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... ree+assets
I have seen the topic on the forum. I do believe when you are making a commercial game, original bgm is recommended. However, I do not believe purchasing sound effects, when there are so many free sound effects online. Of course, you should credit where you've got the sound.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#26 Post by rioka »

Just because a sound effect is free doesn't mean you can legally use it for a commercial game*. Maybe it's fine for a free hobby game but when you start selling your work, there's a fine line there. Just an FYI you should keep in mind.

* You should always check out the license terms for these things and if you're in doubt, don't use it.