Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Languages!

#61 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Snowflower wrote: I don't know since I had the British person as my english teacher when I was in kindergarten, I think she had some influences on my english.
Reminds me of a friend who learned Japanese from a Japanese woman. He became quite fluent in it, and moved to Japan, where he lived for about three months, noticing people would occasionally snicker when he spoke to them, but they seemed to understand what he said just fine, so he assumed they were amused by his accent.

He was pretty embarrassed when a Japanese colleague finally got up the nerve to ignore social politeness to ask him why he talked like a woman. Turns out he was speaking like a girl the whole time, using the feminine versions of expressions and words, because those were the words his female Japanese teacher used. :lol:

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#62 Post by Snowflower »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Reminds me of a friend who learned Japanese from a Japanese woman. He became quite fluent in it, and moved to Japan, where he lived for about three months, noticing people would occasionally snicker when he spoke to them, but they seemed to understand what he said just fine, so he assumed they were amused by his accent.

He was pretty embarrassed when a Japanese colleague finally got up the nerve to ignore social politeness to ask him why he talked like a woman. Turns out he was speaking like a girl the whole time, using the feminine versions of expressions and words, because those were the words his female Japanese teacher used. :lol:

That's pretty funny. But I never had British people snicker at me. She was my first English teacher (English is the first language I learned and knew for years). I guess I blended in pretty well when I went to London for family holidays.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#63 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Snowflower wrote: That's pretty funny. But I never had British people snicker at me. She was my first English teacher (English is the first language I learned and knew for years). I guess I blended in pretty well when I went to London for family holidays.
That's probably because having "British" accented English is never considered a bad thing in the English-speaking world. It is like the "top-shelf brand" of English accents.

I read and studied Shakespeare and watched endless amounts of the BBC when I was a child, and was a stickler for proper pronunciation - so much so that my classmates in the American South were convinced I was really British, but all I was really doing was enunciating and pronouncing each word clearly and distinctly. I wasn't even using British words - just American Standard, but in the South where drawling and blending words together was the norm, that was enough to separate me!

I still remember how embarrassed my mother would get - she has a very thick Southern accent, and people would always look at her confused after she introduced me as her son and I spoke to them in a completely different accent! We visited Canada when I was ten and I had a long conversation with a man who asked if I lived nearby - and then my mother walked up and said something and he immediately placed her as coming from the American South, then proceeded to laugh until he bent double when he found I was her son. I still remember being proud that he had thought I was Canadian. (Note: I have never, nor will I, ever end a sentence in 'eh?' I couldn't do it with a straight face anyway.)

Since I've been a teen, I've adopted the better strategy of using whatever English accent of the group I am currently with. If I am in the South, I drawl and say "y'all" and generally just get lazy and speak what comes naturally - which growing up in the South, is a natural Southern accent in my case. I sometimes slip into that accent if I'm very tired.

However, if I am up North, or in Canada, or any professional environment, I adopt the very clear American Standard accent that News Casters are fond of using. I consider it a courtesy to adopt the language or manner of speech where ever I am visiting to facilitate better communication. I'm always careful to not come across as mocking though, because I know how annoying people faking your accent can be, since I hate the fake Southern accents I hear on TV and in movies. The people that fake a Southern accent always come across as trying WAY too hard, and it makes them sound mentally deficient. That and it seems that most consider "Gone with the Wind" appropriate reference for a Southern accent, when no one in the South has spoken that way for a 100 years or more. :evil:

I have found it funny when I met an Australian girl who kept cooing over my "accent". Cue the standard - "I don't have an accent! You do!" :lol:

Majirefy
Regular
Projects: Sonata Twilight

#64 Post by Majirefy »

I'm so impressed that there are so many people able to speak many different languages....For myself:
1. Chinese(Mandarin)
2. English - Learning at my schools and still just cannot manage it...
3. Japanese - I picked it up last year from a friend and am learning it hard now
"God's his heaven, all's right with the world."

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#65 Post by Snowflower »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Snowflower wrote: I have found it funny when I met an Australian girl who kept cooing over my "accent". Cue the standard - "I don't have an accent! You do!" :lol:

Australian accent!
Ha

But yes, I think it's something you pick up quite easily if you're around it a lot. You were exposed to the accent with watching numerous shows with accents, me learning English the British way for years.

But I have no complains though. XD (guys like british accent too haha)
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#66 Post by pondrthis »

Snowflower wrote:But I have no complains though. XD (guys like british accent too haha)
Not guys who've actually known British people who were so ridiculous that they can't take the accent seriously.

My neighbor growing up was this British pothead with a Malaysian wife. One time they were over at my house drinking (and probably dealing drugs, I mean my parents may be business-owners now, but they still love marijuana) and three of them, not including the Malaysian wife, downed NINE bottles of wine.

NINE. They were so bloody trashed. Then the British guy proceeded to call my mother "bloody enormous, like a tree" because she's almost 6' tall and has feet bigger than his. I mean, I don't care that he insulted my mom or anything, but that is just such a ridiculous thing to say that I can't take British accents seriously anymore.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl

#67 Post by Snowflower »

pondrthis wrote:Not guys who've actually known British people who were so ridiculous that they can't take the accent seriously.

Funny, because I had a boyfriend 1+ who loved it when I used accents
Last edited by Snowflower on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#68 Post by pondrthis »

Snowflower wrote: Funny, because I had a boyfriend 1+ who loved it when I used accents
I didn't say "all guys", I meant guys who laugh when they hear the accents. My girlfriend tries voice acting all the time, and it's just funny to me... no kicks there. She does a pretty good GLaDOS though, with a little auto-tune she could be awesome.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by OtomeWeekend »

languages huh?

1. Filipino(tagalog)
2. English (I can speak british accent too :) )
3. Japanese (I'm leaning more to this since I started going to school. Many say I'm a fluent kansai accent speaker but I'm trying to do my best and speak in okayama accent or much better, tokyo accent X_X )
4. Korean (Only a little. Learned from watching k-dramas)
5. Portuguese (Only a little as well. I started studying ever since my cousin forgot to speak Filipino and Japanese that we can't talk unless in Portuguese :( )
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#70 Post by Elenakiara »

pondrthis wrote:
Snowflower wrote: Funny, because I had a boyfriend 1+ who loved it when I used accents
I didn't say "all guys", I meant guys who laugh when they hear the accents. My girlfriend tries voice acting all the time, and it's just funny to me... no kicks there. She does a pretty good GLaDOS though, with a little auto-tune she could be awesome.
I think this pretty much goes both ways. xD I remember once hearing a kid go: "Hey, what are you doing there?" and because of the accent, he sounded like such a stuck-up and spoiled child. I can handle hearing a British accent, like when I watch Harry Potter movies, but I wouldn't like a boyfriend to have that accent. xD But, surprisingly, I prefer other accents, all except Russian.

I guess it does depend on each person and their experiences. xD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#71 Post by teacup »

1. French (Native)
2. English (Moved to America at a young age so I'm a fluent speaker, but I am still improving... especially when writing)
3. Japanese (Have been self teaching since literally first grade, and acquired Japanese friends who help me. I can understand it, but I can't write/read it at all)
4. German (I studied it for four years. I'm decent at understanding it, but a slow speaker and reader ^^;)
5. Spanish (I can understand some written Spanish... so many of the words are similar to French)

Celestie
Veteran

#72 Post by Celestie »

Well, let's see...

1) German (but not quite native, you'll see why)
1.5/2) Vietnamese (mother tongue, though I lack vocabulary horrribly)

Technically I grew up (and still live that way) bilingual. At home it is Vietnamese (and if I lacked the vocabulary, I mixed in the German word...this way I never really acquired much of the needed vocabluary...*whistles*) and everywhere else (kindergarden, school, friends) it is German.

3) English (learned in school as mandatory "first" foreign language)

4) Latin (5 years in school...I think I still can recall and use the grammar if I reread it but that's about it. I have always failed at translating.)
5) Spanish (2 years in school...and I can barely recall anything...although I still think it's a pretty language.)

Now I plan on adding Japanese by studying Japanese. As in Japanese Studies. Let's see how that'll work out, starting this winter.

And that was a little tidbit about me no-one cares about xD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Kimiko
Regular

#73 Post by Kimiko »

1. German & French (I’ve grown up bilingual.)
2. English (Learned/Learning at school)
3. Latin (Learned/Learning at school… I can’t stand it.)
4. Spanish (Learned/Learning at school)
5. Japanese (Well... I know the basics... and I can write Hiragana!)
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

PervertPrince
Regular

#74 Post by PervertPrince »

English is my native tongue but I do know a bit of Afrikaans and a few common phrases in Zulu.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#75 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

well, my languages are:

1) Italian (of course...)
2) English (only written and reading)
3) Latin (yes, here is not exactly a dead language, and no, it's not because of the vatican)
4) some French
5) plus the mandatory, for an Italian, knowledge of insults,offensive terms and cursewords in a score or so of languages and dialects ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.