Naming your game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Naming your game

#16 Post by Samu-kun »

flowerthief wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:If you really can't think of one, then just make a working title until you finish your game. I'm pretty sure by the time you're done, you'll have thought of something!
Probably, but not in my case. A title screen is just about the only thing my game is still lacking, but I can't make the title screen until I've got a title :?
If it gets that desperate, I start mining my script for good, short phrases that'll turn out to be good titles. Try looking for three to five word long sequences in your script that sound like good titles when you read them alone.

Flince
Regular

#17 Post by Flince »

When I name my fanfiction or my other works I usually put random sentences into google translator and go nuts with the languages.
It works...sort of.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#18 Post by Elenakiara »

I'm usually really bad at imagining names. xD In my marketing class, we had to think of a good slogan and my suggestions seemed cheesy or cliche'd.

Like some have mentioned already, I try to use a title that's associated with the main theme or where the main character is going to go. Sometimes the name is really obvious from just writing, but for others, I guess it becomes harder. I think if you just write down the first words that come into your head when thinking of your story, you can try to work with them. xD Either by combining them, using them to find a meaning or something of the sort. :)

Good luck by the way! I hate the feeling of needing to find a name and drawing a blank. xD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#19 Post by Aozora210 »

It... depends. Sometimes it needs heavy brainstorming, sometimes it just come to my mind.

The most usual way is like what LVUER has said, but it could go otherwise.

I usually take the big theme of the story, of a word of conclusion as my title. For example, my current project, Ruins and Heaven, was actually based on a song by a very great artist, but in the story itself, both words are a symbol of something else, which is an important part in the story itself for now and later.

Or like titles from chapters of Gurenn Lagann, which is a line said by a certain character in the related episode. Or like "My Sister Can't be This Cute" or "Mary Watches Over Us", is like a line said by the character or maybe not.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#20 Post by EzzyAlpha »

It usually just pops into my head ^_^;

But when I do need titles I usually look at similar works for ideas.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#21 Post by Glasskitten »

Fascinating topic!
(I wonder how it works for me. Since I think about my stories almost constantly, I can't really pinpoint a brainstorming strategy or anything.) (I seem to prefer weird little oblique pseudo-puns, e.g. calling the Mary Sue x Sparkly Supernatural Bishie story "The Other Mary", thus twisting a random sentence fragment pulled out of my local Bible into a quasi-intellectualization regarding the protagonist's magic-fueled solution to self-image issues...but sometimes I just throw my arms up and name something "Jennifer and the Giant Cosmic Boxy Thing". At least that one is unlikely have any Google-confusion when it's released. Also, it amuses me, which is good for morale. I don't know what kind of incentive it would be for readers to check it out, but...eh. I don't really need attention that badly. (So maybe it's a bad idea to emulate me in anything related to fiction.))
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)