NaNoRenO 2006- Tick tock people!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#46 Post by Counter Arts »

Oh nos... I can't work on my Operating Systems assignment, study for tests/exams and finish my game in time!

Hyper emergency backup plan... use BCS's background images and have new game! It will be called Shift.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Where do we announce our intent to entry?

#47 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:
mangokiwi.com wrote: Also, 'romance' is pretty open ended. Would friendship of two close friends be counted as romance (we're not doing the fruits again, don't worry!)? We have a dynamic story where we try to capture relationships (friendship, enmity/antagonism, self actualization) on a backdop of an action filled mythical story line...
I'd guess that no, that wouldn't count as romance. But I'm not sure how many of the NaNoRenO2 games will be romantic, especially compared to the NaNoRenO games. I think that what you're doing is might be in the spirit, however, even if you focus on non-ren'ai storylines.
Hmmm, I think Narcissu and Alltogether 05 games had an impact on how people view VNs. Nowadays, it's more or less accepted, that a VN doesn't need to be ren'ai and actually, that it doesn't even need any choices. The game-makers understand this so there are more game projects that don't have choices or/and aren't focused primarily on love.

As a ren'ai fan, I find that a bit sad. I do hope that NaNoRenO II will produce at least some all-out ren'ai games. I'm perfectly fine with a nice non-love-game in between, but in the long run, I don't like if the romance is just "added value" or if there isn't any at all.

Maybe, in the future, it will be good to differentiate between VNs and romantic games more clearly. It's all coming together now and whether that's a good thing is a question to be answered.

For a bit of nostalgia, look at the definitions of ren'ai under:
http://www.renai.us/submit.shtml
http://www.renai.us/faqs.shtml
http://www.renaigames.net/about.html
http://www.renaigames.net/nanoreno.html
According to those, a ren'ai game has to be strongly themed around romance - if you take the definition of NaNoRenO (complete a ren'ai game) on the official NaNoRenO site... it really does have that significant ren'ai requirement.

herenvardo
Veteran

Re: Where do we announce our intent to entry?

#48 Post by herenvardo »

mikey wrote: I'm perfectly fine with a nice non-love-game in between, but in the long run, I don't like if the romance is just "added value" or if there isn't any at all.
Even I'm OK with games that are 100% romance, I find it unrealistic. In my opinion, in real life we don't normally have the chance to think only on that beloved person; there are a lot of other things to care about in the dayly life, and that creates some kind of envelope around the romance. This side-plot may harm or help romantic intentions of a character, depending on case, and I find that idea very interesting. To put an example, in Heikou the game is not straight romance, but that romance comes as a natural part of the interaction between characters. What do you think about this focus for romance games?
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by mikey »

You see my other favorite game type are racing simulations. Now, I am also fine with nice arcade racer games where physics are forgiving and fun is the main point. But, admittedly, I play those games only if I want to take a break.

Similarly here, my main interest is for games where romance has the leading role. I will play and enjoy related games with less focus on romance, because a little variety is always nice.

But in the end, whenever I finish/stop playing an arcade racer and get back to my set-up racing sim car, and having to worry about getting the apex right or have a good set of tyres, I always feel back at home, that this is what I like playing the most.

And whenever there is a new ren'ai game, I have the same feeling - that this is the kind of game I feel most happy playing.

Therefore, it's more a personal thing than anything else. :P

Shiiiiiii

#50 Post by Shiiiiiii »

Oops... maybe planning this NaNoRenMo schedule around my Italy trip wasn't that great an idea after all.

Shii
Regular

#51 Post by Shii »

By the way, my game is going to include exactly 0% romance.

herenvardo
Veteran

#52 Post by herenvardo »

Shiiiiiii wrote:Oops... maybe planning this NaNoRenMo schedule around my Italy trip wasn't that great an idea after all.
You seem a bit pressed... even I didn't want to publish it until tomorrow, I'll share with you my secret weapon: I'll start tomorrow what I call the No-Sleep-Week. I guess the name is self-explanatory enough.
Note: don't expect me to be posting too much the few days after that. I'll probably be sleeping. :P
Shii wrote:By the way, my game is going to include exactly 0% romance.
:( This is cheating! I forced a romance theme within my game because NaNoRenO rules state that it must be Ren'ai. Anyhow, I guess that a game with no romance will be better than no game at all ;)
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

bookie
Veteran

#53 Post by bookie »

herenvardo wrote:
Shiiiiiii wrote:Oops... maybe planning this NaNoRenMo schedule around my Italy trip wasn't that great an idea after all.
You seem a bit pressed... even I didn't want to publish it until tomorrow, I'll share with you my secret weapon: I'll start tomorrow what I call the No-Sleep-Week. I guess the name is self-explanatory enough.
Note: don't expect me to be posting too much the few days after that. I'll probably be sleeping. :P

That's my plan. This week is my spring vacation so I'm planning on spending it finishing the last legs of my program.

mangokiwi.com

NaNoRenO entry: Dante's Wrath

#54 Post by mangokiwi.com »

Hi,

Sorry to double post (I have made an announcement in Completed Games as well), but I wanted to announce that our entry for NaNoRenO is complete and online.

Download our entry, Dante's Wrath, from:
http://www.mangokiwi.com/story-games/dantes-wrath.htm

Thanks, and good luck to all!
Diwant
mangokiwi.com

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#55 Post by Kikered »

Whoa ho! It's just about time for the Final Countdown! Good luck, folks - I'm looking forward to all the fine games that will be released. :D
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

Quin
Regular

#56 Post by Quin »

Well, with 2.67 days left in NaNoRenO, I've got some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is there's no possible way I can finish my NaNoRenO game before the end of the month. A few factors caused this: going into the month without even a basic idea of the game I wanted, not realizing just how big an endeavor I'd decided to undertake, and good old-fashioned procrastination. It's a shame, too, because I'd been so excited about this challenge; it's the reason I joined the forums in the first place.

The good news is I've decided to complete the game I've been working on anyway, even if it won't be done at the end of March. A certain somebody (and he knows who he is) convinced me that I should press forward and finish the game... and he's right; it'd be a shame to waste a month's work just because I couldn't finish by an arbitrary deadline.

My new goal at this point is to have something I can show at the end of the month... even if it's just a couple of screenshots. (I can't really release a demo because the "half" of the game I've completed isn't the first half; it's 90% of this and 20% of that...)

So in a way, I've failed the challenge – I won't have created a game in a month – but in my own way, I can still succeed at a related challenge: creating a game, period.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#57 Post by F.I.A »

Quin wrote:Well, with 2.67 days left in NaNoRenO, I've got some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is there's no possible way I can finish my NaNoRenO game before the end of the month. A few factors caused this: going into the month without even a basic idea of the game I wanted, not realizing just how big an endeavor I'd decided to undertake, and good old-fashioned procrastination. It's a shame, too, because I'd been so excited about this challenge; it's the reason I joined the forums in the first place.

The good news is I've decided to complete the game I've been working on anyway, even if it won't be done at the end of March. A certain somebody (and he knows who he is) convinced me that I should press forward and finish the game... and he's right; it'd be a shame to waste a month's work just because I couldn't finish by an arbitrary deadline.

My new goal at this point is to have something I can show at the end of the month... even if it's just a couple of screenshots. (I can't really release a demo because the "half" of the game I've completed isn't the first half; it's 90% of this and 20% of that...)

So in a way, I've failed the challenge – I won't have created a game in a month – but in my own way, I can still succeed at a related challenge: creating a game, period.
Guess we are stuck on the same boat then. Oh well, let's do more just to the game with those extra time we will be getting.

Quin
Regular

#58 Post by Quin »

F.I.A wrote:Oh well, let's do more just to the game with those extra time we will be getting.
Oh, I think there's no question that a few extra weeks will allow me to make a better game than if I had tried to force it in under the wire. And it's really more important to me that I end up making a good game that other people will enjoy.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by mikey »

The thing why NaNorenO is so good though, is because it adds this pressure. You'll probably have to motivate yourself more after that, to keep focus. Anyway, still looking forward.

It's of course not the end of the world, but still, with you two gone who knows if the record can be broken this year? Now it's technically 3 games, we need 2 more to equalize it! :P And then one more to break it.

Grey
Veteran

#60 Post by Grey »

An hour or two until midnight here, but I'll post this anyway *clicky* :)

Was knocked together pretty fast, so please excuse the somewhat dodgy perspective, lighting etc o_o;

I was going to do one of Aliki in the middle of the month as well telling everyone to keep going, but it never got finished :?