Character Art (Students?)

Assets originally posted in the creative commons forum that are not actually CC or Public Domain. Use at your own risk.
Ciera

Character Art (Students?)

#1 Post by Ciera »

While searching for some photos, I came across some lovely character art.
The downloads are in Zip format, and PSD style, for use with photoshop and similiar programs. Alternatively, you can get the renders by cropping from the sample images.

And here are the character arts, which include faces:

Aoi (Girl 1)

- Sample:

- download:
original: Link
translated: Link

--------------------------------

Satuki (Girl 2)

- Sample:

- Download:

Nagare (Boy 1)
- Sample:

- Download:

Kaoru (Boy 2)

- Sample:

- Download:

Information:
Please note, the following is directly from the site, though it has been translated into english.

For use with a:
- "Free distribution" self-made game.

Not for use with:
- "Delivering 18 + and pay" self-made games.

Character names:
- Regardless of what is put here, please feel free to change the name.

Copyright Notice:
- As providers start painting, "Izumi Asuka Izumi pavilion" ; a display of the distribution in public (and in the game and Readme, a place somewhere) to thank you.

In other words, credit goes to "Izumi Asuka Izumi pavilion."
- Please include credit at the end of game, and in read me.

Processing:
- Other changes to the PSD file format from the inversion of images, enlarge, reduce, use some (only "face" and "bust" etc.) is possible.
- Color change or addition can not be drawn. (Change in color tone effects are "not change the color," not true)

From what I understand, here is the final say on color changes:
- [Change] even possible to display the entire material. (see top half of picture below)
- [] No change in parts. (see bottom half of picture below)

An example of showing the correct way to alter the pic is even shown from the site:

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Character Art (Students?)

#2 Post by Aleema »

Aggh, the boys look exactly the same.

Thanks for sharing.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by SusanTheCat »

Can't you tell -- their hair is completely different. ;)

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#4 Post by Snowflower »

and their eyes!! :)
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#5 Post by EternalDream »

For Nagare, his last headshot has glasses all of a sudden XD

Anyways, thank you for sharing~

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I believe what Aleema means is that they are too similar. In anime style like this, we only relies on eye and hair color to differentiate character. Other than that, each person is very similar (there are people who also draw/make the face different, but this one isn't). I don't know if they are supposed to be same character or different one... but in the middle of heavy conversation, if these two boys wear same cloth, people could easily lost track who is who.

Even the girls are very similar, but one have short hair and the other is long, so it's far easier to differentiate.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I dunno but... I don't really think they are similar... if put together, you could very see the difference(the eyes, hair, poses are not the same).
The author stick to a much more realistic coloring that of course would end up with the sprites having same color of this and that. That could probably be the reason why you think they are similar(artists usually tend to color their characters with different colors which make it easier to differentiate them)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

The girl sprites are basically the guys with longer hair.

Yes, there are differences, but overall the designs are similar enough to be unimpressive and boring. Free sprites are nice and all, but if you're going to have characters in a visual novel, character designs should be well thought out and expressive to suit the personality.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

Nagare and Kaoru looks very similar but if one looks really closely, Nagare looks like the typical athletic, happy-go-lucky guy while Kaoru looks like the serious and studious type, for the girls I can't see any difference except for the hair, eyes and poses.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

@OtomeWeekend:
Yes, they are different. But not different enough. Perhaps I come from manga background... those two characters could get mixed up easily, especially if player hasn't know the characters well enough or when those two characters are engaged in heavy action/conversation together. And I think poses is not counted as "differences" since when used in VN, player could think that person change poses.

Well anyway, personally I don't think it's a big deal (I just clarifying what Aleema said). If you want to use them both at the same time, use it (but with your own risk).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Aleema »

Of course there are minor differences. They're not big enough to make 2 separate characters, though. It's like naming one character Alex and the other Alec. Why would you do that to the player? That seems a poor decision as a game-maker. It also shows either your inability to think of new names, or your intense, passionate love for the name Alex/Alec which cannot be translated to everyone else. But, in the face, they all do look alike. But they're free. If the artist gave us permission to change colors, then this really wouldn't be such a problem, but I'm not about to criticize someone who did something nice for the VN community. And in Asian cultures, a lot of people do have all black hair and wear school uniforms. In a VN, however, it seems like a lack of variety rather than realism for some weird reason.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#12 Post by Silvere »

What about using these 2 guys as twins? I think that´s the intention of the artist.. But who knows ^.^

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aleema »

Silvere wrote:What about using these 2 guys as twins? I think that´s the intention of the artist.. But who knows ^.^
That is assecptable. (^-^)b
So long as it was acknowledged they look alike, and it's a conscious decision for story methods, yeah. Make it work~

clannadman

#14 Post by clannadman »

The download doesn't seem to work. I get an error message, possibly because I'm living in a different region.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@clannadman:
what does it says in the error message? I downloaded it perfectly fine(but who knows, it could indeed be region lock if you are from england)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.