Ding Dong the Witch is Dead

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

Which witch?
The Wicked Witch

...or at least that's what most comments I've heard so far seem to imply. Everybody's happy, people are partying in front of the White House, and so on.

But why doesn't anyone remember that Dorothy's journey to Oz didn't quite end with that song?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Ding Dong the Witch is Dead

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Took ya long enough to post it!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Taleweaver wrote:But why doesn't anyone remember that Dorothy's journey to Oz didn't quite end with that song?
Oh, I don't think anyone is expecting that the war will end with Bin Laden's death - anymore than WWII ended when the Japanese commander's plane was shot down.* But Bin Laden was a thoroughly evil man, one who would kill many - if not all - of us if he had the opportunity, because modest dress isn't a feature of many of our projects.

Losing a charismatic leader is a big loss, especially for a relatively small organization like Al-Qaeda. They might recover, but hopefully they might not - and this has to hurt them.

Finally, I want to just publicly remind people that there are people who spend their lives working, in secret, to protect us. When something like this happens, they get a rare moment in the sun - and they deserve our gratitude and celebration.

* Isoroku Yamamoto.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

While I think he deserved to die (there is no question to his guilt since he publicly admitted) I do think it is a little... odd to celebrate a death. This hasn't ended the war nor brought peace. It is just more death. What of the woman who was killed in the cross-fire? I wonder what her family feels now as people have parties in the street?

The extremists do need to be stopped. I see that. But if people want the fighting to stop, than they will have to address the initial anger. Most of the middle east is angry at the west, and in some cases for valid reasons. The whole world needs to address the issue and figure out what they want to do. We need to either keep our business to ourselves and let the people of individual countries fight their own battles, or create a fully functional UN capable of intervention. The whole mess in the middle east, whether it be Iraq or Libya, is way out of hand and no-one knows what to do. So many people are dying and it seems so sad.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#5 Post by Elenakiara »

Yes, I remembered that song too when I was watching the news. ^^; Instead of thinking of the rest of the adventure, I thought about the part when the other witch appears and seeks revenge. >.< Now that's actually going to be on my mind.

Myself, I was relieved hearing those news. I wouldn't host a party though, but I'm sure that some people, who lost someone they knew, were quite content. I guess that when it comes to death, it's a bit controversial on how to react.
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#6 Post by Silvere »

Uhm, yeah, somehow I can´t really believe it.
The photo is crap. (Oh, and his beard is in a full-blooming black again :3)
Dumped into the sea shortly after his death, without letting anyone see the corpse or something like that. Not even presenting it tot he enemies(psychological warfare) - Sorry, for me this is just some made-up crap :/

Meh..
The fact of his death doesn´t change a thing either - So, well, whatever.

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#7 Post by Elenakiara »

Silvere wrote:Uhm, yeah, somehow I can´t really believe it.
The photo is crap. (Oh, and his beard is in a full-blooming black again :3)
Dumped into the sea shortly after his death, without letting anyone see the corpse or something like that.
The fact that they didn't really do a whole verification is what my mom said about this too. xD And actually, just because I love Wizard of Oz and the song was mentioned, here's what's in the song too:
[Mayor]
As Mayor of the Munchkin City, In the County of the Land of Oz, I welcome you most regally.
[Barrister]
But we've got to verify it legally, to see
[Mayor]
To see?
[Barrister]
If she
[Mayor]
If she?
[Barrister]
Is morally, ethic'lly
[Father No.1]
Spiritually, physically
[Father No. 2]
Positively, absolutely
[Munchkins]
Undeniably and reliably Dead
[Coroner]
As Coroner I must aver, I thoroughly examined her.
And she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#8 Post by Greeny »

I think we should let the dead rest in peace.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

Elenakiara wrote:The fact that they didn't really do a whole verification is what my mom said about this too.
According to various news sources, they performed DNA tests with 99.9% confidence. I suspect there will be a picture out in short order - the first one was a fake, but it's likely that these pictures will eventually leak.

President Obama must be very confident we got Bin Laden, to go on TV like that. Bin Laden has gone on TV with some frequency, so it would be fairly easy for him to rebut Obama's statements - if he was still alive. Doing so would really hurt Obama, right before election season begins - I really doubt Obama would open himself up in such a manner.

What conspiracy-types need to answer is - why would Obama risk his prestige by announcing Bin Laden's death in this manner?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#10 Post by Silvere »

PyTom wrote:What conspiracy-types need to answer is - why would Obama risk his prestige by announcing Bin Laden's death in this manner?
We don´t know what they are all hiding from us -(Edit: And we don´t know the truth so or so) Therefore why RISKING such conspiracies by not giving enough evidence? It´s only logical that would come problems with "Ya, we killed osama. Yeah, we dumped him without taking serious shots from him. Yaaa, there´s a fake photo. Everything ok! Yo!".

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:While I think he deserved to die (there is no question to his guilt since he publicly admitted) I do think it is a little... odd to celebrate a death. This hasn't ended the war nor brought peace. It is just more death. What of the woman who was killed in the cross-fire? I wonder what her family feels now as people have parties in the street?
That was one of my first reactions too... I know it's justice but it's kinda hard to celebrate and be like "YEEEEAH WE KILLED HIM!" while looking at old photos of him where he was smiling looking like any other human being. Idk, I'm a pretty soft-hearted person I guess. I'm sure I would have a different view on it if I had had family or friends die in the 9-11 attacks.

On the topic of conspiracy, my other first reaction was "Um... is this real?" It seemed kind of bizarre to me that they got rid of his body so quickly. I'm not too much of a conspiracy theorist, but still... I assume more evidence and facts will eventually make its way to the public, though.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

Everyone is probably going to whine about it and Obama will have no choice but to finally release the long form death certificate.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps they've killed Osama but didn't manage to acquire the corpse?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#14 Post by Greeny »

Maybe he was already dead and they're trying to take credit.

The real question is, does it make a difference?
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LVUER wrote:Perhaps they've killed Osama but didn't manage to acquire the corpse?
From what I heard, they had his body, did the DNA tests and then buried him at sea.