Heikou

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Grey
Veteran

#46 Post by Grey »

Thanks Lemma :) I'm glad you like it.

Hmm, the typos are pretty much unavoidable with all the nights I spent bleary eyed in front of the PC typing it up. I did go through and try to find them though...evidently I didn't do an amazingly good job, since several people have mentioned that. A few things might possibly be english spellings of words though...maybe.

Yeah some of the branches are kinda hard to find. Some of the branches can only be reached once you've got a few of the endings already, others (6 for example can only be reached after getting one of the Aliki endings in 3).

Interestingly enough I thought ending 2 and the 7 route would be the hardest endings to find, but noone seems to have had any problems reaching the 7 route. 2 however has caused problems, and I'll expand a little on it after this.

Art: Thanks for the honest comments.

However the problem is that you have to go and recruit artists. And from the topics here a large number of projects have had problems with artists just stopping, leaving you with several pictures in their own specific style, which you may then have to redo. You had the problem yourself with ToL2, that at one point the problem got so much that you decided to simply continue the art yourself just to get on with the game. The idea of NAnoReno was it was a one month thing (though Heikou actually took 2 :roll: ). If I just went ahead with placeholder graphics, and then the artist screwed me over at the end, then I would have no game.

Now it's done and released though, it would just be a question of finding someone to redo the art. The problem here is that an artist would then have to impress me with the quality of their artwork, drawing my characters in a way I'd like them to look, after I've impressed them enough to come and draw for me.

For example there are some visual styles in other Renai games that while are good or OK to my eyes in their subject games I wouldn't want to see Heikou rendered in. (Though seeing anyone else draw one of my characters I'd certainly like to see, just for the sake of curiosity.)

And to be honest, I've finished this game now, after a packed two months, I do not want to spend another month or two chasing up artists, just to replace the graphics with something that may be artistically superior, but not depict the characters as I see them.

So my basic opinion is if people don't play the games because of the art, then tough. If it means I don't get as many 'fans' then it matters not. It isn't like I'm getting paid for doing any of this.

I'm not adverse to hiring an artist, it's just that unless they were really good, I'd prefer to do it for a completely new game.

As with your post, there is no offence intended to this, it's just the way I feel about the subject.

Submitting it on Newgrounds isn't really feasible. If you strip the Pascal shell off it then you lose the saving function, among with other (less important) bits and pieces. And this game needs its save function.

Also as to what Mikey, might not like, not ecchi at all (I'm afraid?). It's just the battling aspect of the game, as mentioned somewhere up the topic.

Elusive Ending 2

OK, I've been asked about it enough:
This is the 'best' Yarrow ending. Take the first path, and be really nice to Yarrow. Then in the battle against the Guardian, Yarrow must have her health reduced to 0HP.

In this battle if she likes you enough her defense stat is reduced by half, so the theory was that it would be easier for her to be KOed. Evidently if people did get to this point they just kept healing her, or just wiped the Gaurdian out quickly o_o;;

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#47 Post by mikey »

Grey wrote:Also as to what Mikey, might not like, not ecchi at all (I'm afraid?). It's just the battling aspect of the game, as mentioned somewhere up the topic.
That's right. It seems BL sees me with h-specs ^_^. Nah, jk.

Specifically about Heikou character art I'd like to mention that it's not just the character art per se - the many monsters and little things are drawn in the very same style and it gives the game consistency. So that would be one more thought to consider - the artist would have to redraw those as well.

The re-editions topic, I actually started it because of the above posts.

DrFraud

#48 Post by DrFraud »

Exactly how nice do I have to be to Yarrow in order to get endings 1a, 1g and 2? I've tried giving her every decent response in the book (with and without hugging attempts) for the last three days without getting anywhere past "just friends." I'm also having trouble with endings 4 (do you have to be nice or nasty to Imp in order to get it?), 3d and 3e. Excellent game otherwise, although in my opinion there should've been at least one ending where evil (on your character's part) really paid. :twisted:

(So far I've gotten 1b-1f; 3a-3c; 5; 6a, 6c & 6d; 7, 7b & 7c; both 8's; 9 and very little sleep... :lol: )

Grey
Veteran

#49 Post by Grey »

DrFraud wrote:Exactly how nice do I have to be to Yarrow in order to get endings 1a, 1g and 2? I've tried giving her every decent response in the book (with and without hugging attempts) for the last three days without getting anywhere past "just friends."
Being nice enough for both the 1 endings (there's just once choice at the end seperating them) shouldn't be too hard. Don't try to hug her, try and make intelligent decisions, and act interested in her and her magic. 2 requires a ~little~ more, and then you have to do what I mentioned in a spoiler a few posts back.
DrFraud wrote:I'm also having trouble with endings 4 (do you have to be nice or nasty to Imp in order to get it?), 3d and 3e.

Being nasty helps, but this ending is really event triggered. Be mean, and then take every option that involves Imp.

The 3 endings:
3d. On the 3rd storyline focus less on the renai aspect, but more on the sensible decisions you would make if you wanted to get back home in one piece.

3e. This is the 'worst' 3 ending. Aim to have none of the girls liking you particually by the end. It's quite hard to do actually compared to getting them to like you, so try focusing on one and then the other.
DrFraud wrote:Excellent game otherwise, although in my opinion there should've been at least one ending where evil (on your character's part) really paid. :twisted:

(So far I've gotten 1b-1f; 3a-3c; 5; 6a, 6c & 6d; 7, 7b & 7c; both 8's; 9 and very little sleep... :lol: )
Thankyou :) I'm afraid the best you're going to get though are 7 and 5, although the ending of 5 could easily lead to that payoff, being left open as it is ;)

herenvardo
Veteran

#50 Post by herenvardo »

First of all, congratulations! The game is great. I guess that the art could be improved with more time (or more artists), and also the game could be made longer with more time. But since with more time almost anything could have been done, and the spirit of NaNoRenO is to hit very hard deadlines, I guess that's less important.
In general, my impression of the game is the following: the style is consistent, the characters are well designed: beyond the art, which trully fits them, they have a strongly-defined personality which makes them very 'live'. The stories, even when some of the plots are not compatible between them, each independent plot is strong and consistent. So, I can only say that it's a well designed & well implemented game.

Said that, I've a question that I've been unable to solve by myself. The first time I played, I went with Yarrow into the maze. There appeared a blue and a red spark; the blue one led me to the exit of the maze without too much wandering, but now I have a lot of curiosity: where did the red spark lead? I've tried to find them again, even tried to move the 'persistent' file out of the game folder to exactly replay my first game, but the sparks didn't appeared. So, is there anywhay to reach again the sparks, to follow the red one? Or, going beyond, is there a map of the maze? I guess you have made one, otherwise it'd have been a horrible pain to code the chices and jumps for it 'on the fly'.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#51 Post by Alessio »

With the beginning I didn't know what to expect, but it became clear quite quickly. I'm intrigued by the size the game seems to have (just played once so far, ending 1c), I'll have to play it a few more times over the next days. So far I can say it's a very nice one, I'll be back with feedback when I've seen more.

Edit: 3b...
Last edited by Alessio on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#52 Post by mikey »

Alessio >> I see you're catching up on all the previous games ^_^. I envy you... Still, it's been a while since I last played Heikou, there is at least one branch (and set of endings) I wasn't able to uncover, so I don't have this game "ticked" yet.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#53 Post by Alessio »

mikey wrote:Alessio >> I see you're catching up on all the previous games
Yep, I guess it's hard not to notice, since I'm all over the forum! :) Please bear with me... Problem is I've got such a big backlog of things to do (multi-hobby person) that I'm not sure if I'll manage playing all of the VNs I missed so far. :)

Darius_Black

next Heikou?

#54 Post by Darius_Black »

Is there going to be a sequel to this?

#55 Post by Guest »

Ending #9....was totally hilarious.

I really like the fact that previous playthroughs have some effect on replays...it's really inventive.

Hudzon
Regular

Re: Heikou

#56 Post by Hudzon »

Okay, I need some help with 3d. I'm always either too friendly and get 3c or do the opposite of friendly and get 3e! Where's the middle ground?
If I concentrate on the choices that will get me out asap then I usually end up with Yarrow! How do I determine when to choose Aiki instead of her?
Once I find 3d and finish 2, which I savored for last, I will write up a review (though my review will mostly focus on the plot elements that I enjoyed best as opposed to the gameplay, as that's what I value most in a VN!)