A poll to girl gamers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PervertPrince
Regular

Re: A poll to girl gamers

#16 Post by PervertPrince »

I put everything I like in bold.

o Male

Do you also play Boy x Girl games?
o Yes
o Yes, but only because of the shortage of Otome/BL games
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

If BL, playable character should be:
o Uke (“Submissive” character, gets romanced)
o Seme (“Agressive” character, romances)
(Neither. I've been around the yaoi scene a long time and have grown to hate the uke and seme terms. I like seeing my characters as equals. Too bad there isn't a seke option)

If Otome, a female love interest and/or yuri scenes would be:
o Pursued.
o Averted.

Setting:
o Fantasy (Magical, set on the past)
o Modern (Usual, set on the present)

o Scifi (Technologic, set on the future)

Mature content:
o Yes
o No

(Either. It doesn't matter if a game has it or not)

Rate from more important to least:

Overall- Gameplay then character then story then art.
o Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
o Character (design, likability)
o Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)
o Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)

What kind of art style pleases you? Do you like anime, realistic, cute, cell shading…?
Anime, I guess.

When pursuing a character-
o Character Design
o Personality

What kind of looks attract you? (glasses, muscles, hair color, etc.)
I'm not really attracted by appearances but I guess I kinda like glasses and darker skinned characters.

What are the personality traits that attract you? (mean, kind, teasing, flirty, etc.)
Characters that make me laugh.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#17 Post by Aozora210 »

o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

o Pursued.
o Averted.

Setting:
Depends on the plot, actually.

Mature content:
o Yes
o No

Overall-
o Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs) (3)
o Character (design, likability) (2)
o Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options) (4)
o Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines) (1)

What kind of art style pleases you? Do you like anime, realistic, cute, cell shading…?
I'm keen to most of style, though I really dislike moe shoujo with huge and inproportional eyes.

o Character Design
o Personality
Though I won't lie about design being an important factor too.

Glasses, dark hair, otherwise, exotic

What are the personality traits that attract you? (mean, kind, teasing, flirty, etc.)
Cool, witty, gentleman, mature, manly.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#18 Post by azureXtwilight »

It's one of these again? Let's see...

o Yes (I mean, who can say no to fate/stay night, tsukihime, saya no uta, higurashi and umineko?)

Style:
o Visual Novel

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)

o Averted. (I don't really care, however if there's's one I won't chase after her... Wait, maybe I will, depends on whether her story intrigues me or not)

Setting:
All is well :)

Mature content:
o No (Most mature content are just there for the sake of being there, so no)

Overall-
o Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs) -- NUMBER THREE
o Character (design, likability) -- NUMBER TWO. Gotta have realistic ones, not all people are 100 percent good and 100 percent bad, what matters is having them likeable with their flaws and goodness.
o Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options) -- NUMBER FOUR saya no uta has only three options but it had me hooked the whole time.
o Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines) -- NUMBER ONE. I need something out of the "single girl meets tons of single guys and then hook up with one of them)

No matter. I favor anime or semi-realistic though.

o Personality

Personally, I'll go for someone who looks different than the others. But what's going to happen next is up to what he do. Although I'm a bit sucker for boys who have spiky hair.

If the heroine has a personality, then I'll go for someone who has the personality who mathes her. If not, I'll go with the sacracstic, only sane man, or the one who's likely hold the "true" ending if there's any.

roankun
Regular
Projects: RHS

#19 Post by roankun »

o Yes

Style:
Both, but I prefer visual novels

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
I don't mind G x B But I'm seriously against B x B

I didn't choose it, but I guess generally...

I don't mind either way.

Setting:
It's just easier to get the feel of it, I guess.

Mature content:
Either way? But it's really scary to play things with mature content because my little sister might see it since we share the same computer. XD

Overall-

Anime. Realistic turns me off for some reason.

o Personality

Er... Cool-looking, I guess? The one that reminds me most of me. XD

Teasing and kind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My little sister also asked to answer this. She helps me out sometimes with my game.

o Yes

Style:
Visual Novels. I don't like raising stats.

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
But I prefer B x G.

Averted. It's otome. If it has yuri scenes, you should have just made a yuri game in the first place. :/

Setting:
Since Fantasy and Sci-Fi sometimes have too much drama/jargon I don't understand.

Mature content:
Like, seriously? NO.

Overall-

Anime.

o Personality

Eyes. XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I just noticed, but we have a lot in common. XD
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.
http://roankun.wordpress.com/

LadyAvori
Regular

#20 Post by LadyAvori »

o No (I am a girl and I don’t like playing as a guy…unless I get to be Batman)

Style:
o Visual Novel

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)

o Pursued. (I like the option but I don't play GXG only games)

Setting:
(I like all of these)

Mature content:
o Yes (if tastefully done)

Overall- 1 being most, 4 being least
4 Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
2 Character (design, likability)
3 Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)
1 Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)

I like all kinds of art style so long as it fits the game.

o Character Design
o Personality (more important)

I have no specific look that attracts me. Although now that I think about it, when playing a dating sim I do tend to go after guys with glasses…hmmm

Alright I like the Knight in Shining Armor types, sensitive and protective and a little bit broken…but not so broken I feel like my character is going to go through hell with this character after the story is done. But that is my favorite…I like others also. I really dislike the sociopathic characters that don’t seem to have emotions at all…but thats just me.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#21 Post by Snow Blossom »

o No (Unless they're really funny)

Style:
o Visual Novel

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)

(I don't play BL games, so I don't know...)

o Averted.

Setting:
(I also like Magical, set in the present~)

Mature content:
o No

Overall
2. Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
3. Character (design, likability)
2. Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)
1. Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)
(I couldn't choose between art and gameplay... Frankly, I think all of the above are really important. ><)

Anime (within that, cute or beautiful)

o Character Design
o Personality
(Both are important, but since most characters look the part, personality)

Ummm... Silver, dark brown, or black hair, I guess... Relatively thin frames, but with muscle. And, er... red or blue eyes..?

Funny, confident, shy, or tormented characters. (Ignore the contradiction)

PinkMawile

#22 Post by PinkMawile »

Arcanum wrote:Hey guys. I’m an artist/writer with lots of free time on her hands and a desire to make games catered to other girls. I’ve seen and played many interesting VNs and Dating Sims - and now I feel like it’s my turn to make something nice. Although I have a couple of ideas myself (because, after all, I know what I like), I also want to understand what other girls are after. I’ve condensed a poll here, and I’d be very happy if any girls fulfill it!

(If you’re a guy that plays otome/BL games, feel free to answer the questions too, although my main focus are the ladies!)

o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy) Mostly because this is my orientation
o BL (Boy x Boy) Less for the sexual aspects, more simply because I've read a few that had interesting characters with real emotional hooks.

o Neither I honestly prefer main characters who are not built out from a stereotype.

o Pursued.
o Averted
o Used as Necessary If the character in question was developed in the same depth as the other love interests, then they should be included as one of the pursuable paths. If it's just a throw away character put in simply for the sake of yuri scenes, then no they shouldn't be in there in the first palce ;-;.

Setting:
I like all of these, and everything else as well.

Mature content:
o Yes
o No
o If it is suitable for the tone and setting of the game. I never liked the RRS in games (Random Rape Syndrome).

Overall-
o Character (design, likability) Regardless of whether the plot is simple or complex, a well written and developed character will always make or break as story. They are the personalities that pull you in and make you feel the world in emotional terms.
o Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines) Doesn't mean a story or plot isn't important. A well thought out plot, especially one that integrates the characters into it and unto one another, is the best kind of plot.
o Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options) I actually would consider this to be 'directing' rather than gameplay. VNs are inherently different from simple novels because they have a visual aspect, and just like in movies, because of the visual aspect how you present information to the viewer is important. Sometimes it is as obvious as CG scenes, but there many more subtle things as well, such as stops in the text, when the text auto reads, when it doesn't, the placement of sprites, the use of special effects and such.
o Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs) Art is great, but if a book can be good without art, so can a VN.

I like anime (Which can include cute), western comic, and realistic. I've never really liked 3D modelling

o Character Design
o Personality

I don't understand this question, isn't personality part of Character Design?

Lots, I can't really pick one.

Again, I can't really pick any. I've found myself attracted to all sorts of characters, from the silent to the rowdy to the intellectual to the uncouth, moe to yandere and back. It just depends on how they are developed and how they are presented.

SilentWolfie
Regular

#23 Post by SilentWolfie »

1) Male. Errr. Please see me as the nick Fox rather than SilentWolfie (shared account).
2) BxG as in galge? Guys' oriented games? Yes. Otome games wise, played quite a number of them, including R18 UTM, Tsuki no hikari, normal ones Starry sky in spring, etc. I play all really.
3) Visual novel.
4) Well... technically I think Nitro+Chiral produces BL games that impressed me enough to never look down on BL ever again. I can't say the same for otome games. All that I have played so far doesn't impress me as much as N+C games yet. Then again, there's some really, really bad BL games. So bad, that I feel like flipping tables and breaking pencils. All I can say you need very strong writing skills, very brilliant art direction and a very good musician behind a BL genre. If you want to impress me as a male, you have to do a mostly flawless product that I can say that I enjoy and not hate it in the slightest.

Some of the BL games out there rely heavily on seiyuu, and you most likely don't have that. Therefore your writing skills have to be even better than usual. Are there BL doujin games that I played and enjoyed? Yes, I played one doujin BL dating sim game. The creator took... sound sets (if you know what I mean...) from a BL game and used them to pretty good effects. Writing was better than most amateur efforts and art itself was okay, one scene was particularly memorable. If I'm not wrong the creator is male as well, surprisingly.

5) ... Seme but probably seke is your best bet for wider audience. Honestly speaking it was really annoying to play N+C games where every scene was the player as the uke. I swear that the writers are M.
6) Yuri, pursued. No double standards here. As long as the romance is believable, but so far I have not seen one in the VNs that I played that completely works yet.

7) Setting is relative to the genre you're pursuing. Otome high school romances are not the way to go imho. Saturation from Starry sky series should be a red alert already (unless you're really confident in your writing skills).
8 ) Likewise, BL related things have to be very polished. Criticism for a BL game is easier. R18 elements need to be handled even more delicately for BL games than otome games do. It's best not to have anything to do with it if you don't have the skills.

For the direction of things... it is differently handled as well in the two genres.

- BL games relies on Story/Characters more than anything else. But the art cannot be neglected as well. That carries a certain weight. Neither can the music, but it's slightly less important. As long as the reader doesn't hate the music, it's okay.
- Otome games are more reliant on Character/Art. I think most female audiences pursue a "doki-doki" moment. From the poll of another thread, Tsundere guys are insanely popular, probably because they're more vibrant and cute. This signals the character importance. It will be nice if you have a good story, but it doesn't matter as much as the importance of having guys that give the dokidoki moment.

9 and 10) N/A. Not a girl. I'll give suggestions on
- Ice prince (squall from ff8)
- Tsundere (chiaki from nodame cantabile or kyo from fruits basket)
- Quiet puppy bishounens (Konoha from bungaku shoujo) for otome games.

Rarer ones are megane, snark (snide remarks, kyon from haruhi) and angst.

stellacisem
Regular

#24 Post by stellacisem »

hmm, this certainly is an interesting and requiered poll... here are my answers :
o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim
Actually a visual novel where you HAVE to date someone to get a proper ending is better with me. :)
Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

o Pursued.
o Averted.

Setting:

Mature content:
o Yes
o No

Overall-
o Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)-3
o Character (design, likability)-2
o Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)-4
o Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)-1

I like anime style art. (bishoujo and bishounen if it can be :D)

o Character Design
o Personality

I like guys with the cold/serious/cool/whatever-you-call-it look on their faces but when showing emotions on rare occasions-or not- look innocent-er. No beard or mustache please. Not too big muscles; but enough to show people that he's been working out. Other than that, I like blue eyed and brown haired boys the most.
As I said, cold at first to all the people. Then might become a little bit more open towards everyone, especially the protagonist. Usually with a bad experience on something.

OR

kind-looking and flirty; usually elegant and "prince-like" for some people.

Hope this helps anyone :)
I waited for [more than] ten years, eleven months, thirty days, 12 hours and 26 minutes. then i finally had to admit i wasn't getting an acceptance letter from Hogwarts.

Kimiko
Regular

#25 Post by Kimiko »

Here we go! ^o^~

o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

o Pursued.
o Averted.
(I really don't know... I've never played GxG before.)

Setting:

Mature content:
o Yes
o No

Overall:
2 - Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
3 - Character (design, likability)
4 - Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)
1 - Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)

I prefer anime style.

When pursuing a character:
o Character Design
o Personality
(Though it's both really important...)

Umm... I really like white or black hair. And I dislike brawny guys! D:

I usually go for the cute, kind, gentle and shy guy... or the teasing one. I think mysterious guys are really attracting, because you want to know their dark secrets! ;D
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#26 Post by MiSi »

o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

Both, but I prefer BxB ;)

well, I don't mind. It should fit the story.

o Pursued.
o Averted.
But maybe... if her path is well-written... I will play it nevertheless ;)

Setting:

If anyone managed to create a good mixture of all three, I would be pleased.

Mature content:
o Yes
o No
I'm 19, you know... :lol:

Overall-
1. Story (plot complexity, multiple story lines)
2. Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
3. Character (design, likability)
4. Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)

it should fit the game ;)

o Character Design
o Personality

they should together create the character. if the art is beautiful, but the personalities aren't drawn out enough, it would be disappointing, just like the other way round.

Long hair is a MUST (especially if it's blond or white :D )
and glasses are soo hot...!
yeah, yeah... I go for the mad scientist/doctor type... :lol:
(and brown hair is booring!)

...maybe the coldhearted ones... but will do everything for you, after you've got them?
...or tidy bureaucrats?
...cocky, a bit perverted guys?
heh, I have much preferences... ;)

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#27 Post by Coren »

o Yes

Style:
o Visual Novel

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

o Pursued.

Setting:

Mature content:
o No

Overall-
3 Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs)
4 Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)

Anime. And maybe you can call me weird, but I like the eroge visual novel for guys kind of art style the best.

o Character Design
o Personality
More of background, really.

... Dude, do you take me for some kind of girl who is seriously attracted to guys in games? Whoever I think is most suitable for the character I'm playing as, I will go for.

Same as above.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#28 Post by Pyonkotchi »

o Yes

Style:
o doesn't matter o3o

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)

o doesn't matter. I don't like BL

o DO IT DO IT DO IT DERPDERPDERP

Setting:
o It doesn't matter 8D

Mature content:
o depends. I have no qualms about playing H-games but too much sex is boring and a waste of time. and badly written sex is hilarious. which from what I've played. it's usually one or the other.

3 Art (number and quality of sprites, cgs) ~ Gameplay (interactivity, lots of options)

Anime. CG colored. The amount of shiny should reflect the story.
cute styles can be used in more fluffy. less dramatic stories, but cute art can also be used as a creepy factor in creepy stories as well

o Personality
I don't care how hot he is if he fucking irritates me i wont give him a second glance

Glasses. Ponytails and longer hair. I like to see eye colors that POP. but aren't too ridiculous. I like a sharp dressed man. O:

facial hair is okay, though I don't expect to see it in a game. Might be interesting to see a guy with some permastubble.

Smart quirky guys. the nerdy awkward type. Nice guys. Snarky teasing guys and guys who'd be a kickass bffls are fun to see in games

1FairyGirl1

#29 Post by 1FairyGirl1 »

o Male

o Yes
o No

Style:
o Visual Novel
o Dating/Life Sim

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)
o BL (Boy x Boy)

o Pursued.
o Averted.

Setting:

Mature content:
o Yes
o No
I like both

Overall-

o Character Design
o Personality

miyoyan
Regular

#30 Post by miyoyan »

Style:
o Dating/Life Sim (but I don't like the ones with stats very much ;3)

Genre:
o Otome (Girl x Boy)

o Pursued

Setting:

Mature content:
o Yes

Overall-

Music can take a game from "excelent" to "masterpiece" for me.

What kind of art style pleases you? Anime, realistic.

o Personality
o Character Design

What kind of looks attract you? glasses, dark hair colour, longish (but not long) hair, not too muscular.

What are the personality traits that attract you? intelligent, flirty, happy-go-lucky (think Absent-Minded Professor / Bunny Ears Lawyer [see TvTropes.org])