Which coloring style is better?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

Which coloring style is better?

#1 Post by Fawn »

Hey y'all. :) I'm making sprites again, and I've been fooling around with different kinds of coloring styles.
I've attempted 2 styles on a little doodle I did, and I'd like to see what you, visual novel lovers, prefer :D

So, here they are. Note that I didn't spend much time on them (Maybe an hour 45 min total including lineart, which is short for me) and I plan to spend much more time on real sprites:
Simple "shiny" coloring
Simple "shiny" coloring
Simple
More detailed saturated/warm coloring
More detailed saturated/warm coloring
More detailed.

Be as honest as you want to, tell me what you like, don't like, changes, critiques, ect. ect.! Thank you for reading :)

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

Re: Which coloring style is better?

#2 Post by Tachyglossus »

Hmm it is hard to say. There are things that I like about both of them. The second one is more details and has a higher contrast, but the first I think suits the cutsey style better. I will say that I do not like how the hair turned out in the second one; it looks more saturated than shaded.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

I like the way you colored the face and hair in the first one, but I think the skin and shirt on the second one are better.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#4 Post by Ionait »

It is hard to choose a preference without context. You changed a lot (in my eyes at least) between the two. It seems like you used darker colors for the second, so you not only changed basic coloring style, but your palette. I prefer the lighter colors for a cuter atmosphere. For a serious story,the darker colors might aid in your also darker story-telling.

I'm a sucker for sparkling cheeks!

And the one thing I strongly dislike about the second are the red rings around her eyes. She looks over tired! Poor girl.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#5 Post by Camille »

I like the second one more overall except that the face is overshaded. It looks like she's got big dark red circles around her eyes. I also like the style of the hair and eyes a bit better in the first.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#6 Post by Fawn »

Thankya for the feed back :D
@Tachyglossus: Yeah, bad colorchoice :( I was trying to go for this style for the hair: http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/201010/20/6 ... f0475e.jpg Didn't come out correctly... aaa!

In the second one, I was trying to shape out her nose (Like the shadows around this girl's nose http://beautyeditor.ca/wp-content/uploa ... n_face.jpg) because I don't really like lining the nose, but I also don't like when there's just a dot there. :O Shows how much I need practice though, lol!

Also, would anyone like this girl as a sprite? I'll clean it up and add some more expressions if anyone's interested.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#7 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I much prefer the second one.

HOWEVER.

I might think using the first one would be much better for a game sprite because the shadows are rendered - if the background is going to have light coming anywhere from above and to the right of that character, the second will look fake.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

smileforthespies
Projects: Under the Blade

#8 Post by smileforthespies »

I agree with Tsundere Lightning.

Also, the second one has a lot of contrast and easily grabs attention, which is great for normal art and CGs, but for sprites it just gets annoying after a while.