Wanted: a decent writer for a sci-fi or fantasy-themed game

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Wanted: a decent writer for a sci-fi or fantasy-themed game

#1 Post by Watercolorheart »

I'm spamming for a writer for a fantasy-type game here. I'd like one who can describe the story flow and dialogue, as long as they let me tinker with the descriptions of the places (since that's what I love to do best ...), with a script written in a spartan style like:
[Park, midnight, winter]

Mae: Hello!

You/me/Protagonist: Hi.
May be written in first-person, second-person, or third person. Full story only. Themes can include the supernatural or magic and monsters with a modern bent or robots, futuristic scenaries, or all of the above. Please don't consider yourself limited to high school locations ...

I've been thinking of including a young, blind girl with "future sight" (third eye), but it's only a whim.

If you're interested, please post here or e-mail me your script at buttercupsaiyajin@gmail.com

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

One question to begin with: when is the game scheduled, and how long should it be? Not that I'm not busy with AnimeAcademy, my Foxtaile overhaul, our new project and short fiction I'm writing, but say I was interested - what kind of workload would you put upon me until when?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Shii
Regular

#3 Post by Shii »

E-mail sent

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

Taleweaver wrote:One question to begin with: when is the game scheduled, and how long should it be? Not that I'm not busy with AnimeAcademy, my Foxtaile overhaul, our new project and short fiction I'm writing, but say I was interested - what kind of workload would you put upon me until when?
No deadline. Game length itself should last about an hour (Writing length as in word count may vary, depending on how much time the average player takes to digest dialogue.)

Anyway, at least something satisfying to play for a little while, but not terribly short nor long. Not like Sango short or Gakuen Redux long ... Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not quite what I had in mind.

bookie
Veteran

#5 Post by bookie »

I'd be willing to do it if I had a firmer idea of the general premise of the story you want to be told, and maybe a vague plot. Writing is where my skill lies, since I managed to finish the writing portion of my project in less than a month and it's been the coding and art that has me working on the stupid thing into two years now.

I really want to write something else though, so yeah, if you have an idea of what you want the story to be about, or even just the characters you want included. I could try to write something for you.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Sorry, one hour minimum game time for me means writing a multiple-paths text of at least 4-5 hrs reading length, or a kinetic novel text which I'm not too fond of. Too long for me at the moment.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Watercolorheart »

bookie wrote:I'd be willing to do it if I had a firmer idea of the general premise of the story you want to be told, and maybe a vague plot. Writing is where my skill lies, since I managed to finish the writing portion of my project in less than a month and it's been the coding and art that has me working on the stupid thing into two years now.

I really want to write something else though, so yeah, if you have an idea of what you want the story to be about, or even just the characters you want included. I could try to write something for you.
If you want some concepts to work off of that I've been brainstorming about, be my guest.

The four main characters would be you (main character, any gender, but usually its male for the sake of simplicity), a mysterious blind girl that lives next door to you who is the president of a Janken club (Rock, Paper, Scissors), a tall beautiful girl with striking red/orange hair and gray eyes, and a dark-skinned older man who seems to shadow you as you go about your life.

The blind girl seems to be able to win any game of Jan Ken Pon even without sight, and she says its because feints don't affect her, and she listens to the sounds of the other player (breathing, shuffling, etc.) to predict them. However, she isn't entirely consistent with you (it's possible for you to win against her), and is very curious about your nature, and especially your pocketwatch ...

Your watch was given to you by your grandfather, but it stops every so often at 3:06 for no particular reason. It's an antique wind-up watch. You've tried to take it to get fixed, but the watchmaker tells you that he can find no reason for the malfunction. He tells you it might be a bad gear, but says it will cost $300 to replace it (since the parts are rare), so you decide to keep it only for sentimental reasons. It's usually in your breast pocket. You wear a normal watch on your wrist instead.

Your wristwatch has started to stop at 3:06 as well now, but only recently. You changed the batteries, but it still happens every few days. You're starting to believe that you might be cursed somehow.

The redheaded girl is someone that you either greatly admire (if you're a girl?) or have a huge crush on (if you're a guy?), but she seems entirely unreachable. She's nothing but polite to you, and nothing more. She gives no indication of trying to pursue anything further, as a friendship or otherwise.

The black man that seems to follow you around (please don't read any racism into this, I'll explain about it later, if you don't mind spoilers) gives you the creeps. You have an idea that he might be stalking you, but you're not certain. He's never actually spoken to you, and he doesn't go out of his way to encounter you - sometimes he's just reading a newspaper on a bench, or eating lunch at a diner that you've just arrived at. But you can't shake off the feeling he's constantly watching you.

And (just in case, a spoiler code)
the blind girl possesses an invisible third eye, or futuresight. She can see what happens around you, but not about you. You intrigue her because she can't "read" you. The redheaded girl is actually a literal vixen, a kitsune (fox) spirit that is trying to steal your pocket watch. The older man is a tengu (crow) spirit out to stop the fox, but he's not exactly on your side. Turns out he wants to "fix" your watch, as it were - but should you fix it?

I haven't precisely decided on the mystery of the watch. Either it predicts your death many, many years hence (fixing the watch would cause you to die ...), your grandfather is trying to warn you of something that happens at 3:06 in the future, or it contains a neutral spirit who is trying to get your attention. Spirit is not your grandfather's, but his daughter who died at a young age - one who feels that she might have been your mother if she hadn't perished at 3:06 in the morning, however weird that sounds. In all cases, the pocketwatch provides you with additional spiritual protection from some of the people around you, as long it's on your body. That's why the fox can't steal it - she needs you to give it to her, but she can't ask for it either. It's a powerful artifact, and you can make up other things it could do for yourself.

The increase in spiritual activity is because the day when the world will end, and the next age be ushered in is drawing closer. Dragon gods start to awaken, and floods, hurricanes, etc. are becoming more common. The dormant volcano erupts. Before the end of the game, you will be caught up in this, and the actions you took before will determine the outcome. The blind girl starts to hint about it cryptically, like, "They sleep, waiting, for the next age to come ... but all dreams must come to an end."
Scripts submitted need not include this, I was just stating some of my ideas.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

I'm quite impressed with the whole concept so I have a question : what part is bothering you (the one you don't want to/can't do yourself) ? Dialogs ? Detailed plotting ? Making up the endings ?

RedSlash
Veteran

#9 Post by RedSlash »

Sounds like a mystery novel, but I like it. I think this could make a very interesting VN.. looking forward for you to find a writer for this.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by musical74 »

Wow...you've really thought out the characters and the general idea of what's happening...be interesting to see how this plans out. I agree with RedSlash, it sounds like a mystery novel, and the fact that the main character is clueless helps that feeling :). Will be very interesting when it's all done, I think.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Watercolorheart »

monele wrote:I'm quite impressed with the whole concept so I have a question : what part is bothering you (the one you don't want to/can't do yourself) ? Dialogs ? Detailed plotting ? Making up the endings ?
Finishing it.

Hey, I've got another script for Limitation if anyone wants to complete a game with a beginning, part of a middle, and an end. It's a kinetic novel, but I haven't quite picked it up again. All I need to do is finish rendering for it.

Actually, I've got three days off now until Friday - I could work on it, if I could just get some time. We've had my family down for the last week, and I've been pretty busy, not to mention with my new job as a cashier too.

bookie
Veteran

#12 Post by bookie »

It seems like a ren'ai element isn't entirely obvious from the synopsis. Can I assume that romance is going to be secondary here?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

Finishing it.
Eheh, I guess it's the same problem for all of us ^^;

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Watercolorheart »

bookie wrote:It seems like a ren'ai element isn't entirely obvious from the synopsis. Can I assume that romance is going to be secondary here?
That's entirely up to the writer, isn't it? I was just detailing a plot; it's up to the writer to form the deeper elements ...