Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - updated JULY 11, 2012

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer

#31 Post by babyfish »

Hehe, I've only started recently after fumbling my way through the basics of Ren'Py. I can say however that most of the character art is done. The heroine alone is literally capable of AT LEAST 70 different expressions (yeah, this number freaks me out too) , but I seriously doubt I'm going to use them all in the game. XD

And I'm not gonna rush on this project, no worries. :) I know that if I do, it'll be a complete mess, and this is supposed to be a game that I would someday like to play and experience for myself.

The dateable gentlemen so far are Seth, Alexius, Gabriel, Luke, Dante, and Edward. I am strongly leaning towards sticking with just those six as far as the GXB romance goes. Since a lot of people have expressed a want for Katya to be dateable, dateable she shall be! Currently, I am not planning for any more than those seven. That may change though. Not likely, but it's still too early to be sure.

Again, thanks bunches for the encouragement!

EDIT to avoid double posting:

I've been having to work the weekend nowadays so I'm away from the comp most of the day, but I still managed to add something to the user interface.

This neato graphic here will provide the functions that bring up the inventory and save screen, along with the relationships screen when you click on the heart. I tried doing boxes with little graphics in them, but they ended up being tedious and much too clunky on the interface. So I got a little improvisational.

Personally I like it. It's pretty and fancy, but then again so is the rest of the game. XD

Screen language, gotta love it~
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

stellacisem
Regular

#32 Post by stellacisem »

cool addition :D and... 70? like in 7x10? oh god I think my head is spinning. *rereads the comment above again* AT LEAST?... I don't know what to say and what not. oh, and I think I'll set my eyes on Alexius for the first try on the game and the demo. and I think seven dateable people is enough, oh I can't wait! ;D
I waited for [more than] ten years, eleven months, thirty days, 12 hours and 26 minutes. then i finally had to admit i wasn't getting an acceptance letter from Hogwarts.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#33 Post by Snow Blossom »

Waa the heart addition is so cute! O///O
This game is really well designed~ But 70 expressions? Wow, that's intense. O_O

babyfish
Veteran

#34 Post by babyfish »

Well of course I'm not going to use all 70+ expressions. XD A lot of them are for things like speaking/blinking etc. so a lot of the sprites are kinda redundant. :)

More UI stuffs here.

The Yes/No prompt.

And testing the relationship meters on Ren'Py. Programming these were a real headache. XD

That's all for now~
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#35 Post by GeneDNC »

This looks AMAZING! I love the sprites and will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Will it be a commercial or a free game?

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#36 Post by Arithra »

wow. your interface is amazing!i really like how the color of the heart changes.
And the heroine has 70 expressions... how can you come up with that many O___O?

You know, Nadine and Alexius look a lot alike xD
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

Arcanum
Veteran

#37 Post by Arcanum »

The UI is fantastic. It looks seriously professional - it's absolutely gorgeous. I'm not even really into dating sims (I was seriously traumatized after playing Meine Liebe for seven times and not getting a character's ending once!), but I can't wait for this. Watching everything so pretty is so incredible *_* The relationship meter is gorgeous like everything else.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#38 Post by Snow Blossom »

Wow the relationship meter is so pretty! OoO
Just curious, will characters become enemies when their relation meters drop too low (and perhaps try to hinder the heroine)?

babyfish
Veteran

#39 Post by babyfish »

Ask, and ye shalt receive~ =D

@GeneDNC: For now, I'm hoping for it to stay free, since I don't have much interest in making money off of it. Perhaps future games yes, but since this is my first ever roll with Ren'Py, I might as well make this project a sort of 'tester'. :)
At least it's less work on my tax returns. XD

If I do have to spend a lot on resources, I might ask for donations, or set it at a very low price. That's about it.

@Arithra: Each character has different variations for the brows, eyes, and mouth, as well as various marks (blushes, sweatdrops, anger marks, etc.), usually at least four for each componant (less for minor characters). So really, the mix-and-match possibilities are pretty amazing.

@Arcanum: Yeah, I'm going a bit crazy with the UI. XD I always like to play a game that's visually pleasing, and since this is an 'otome' game, I'm trying to make everything super pretty. XD Glad that everyone here seems to like. =3

@Snow Blossom: I wonder, are you familiar with the bomb system in the Tokimemo series? ...I guess I'd better start out by saying that I will NOT implement the bomb system, since I think that simulating a guy sabotaging your love life simply for being ignored (as most cases result) is pretty ridiculous. Besides, the dateables in MoM have a bit more class than that. XD

There will be repercussions if you go out of your way to royally piss off your potential suitors and let your meter sink too low (You'd have to be pretty obnoxious, mean, or downright careless to achieve this). As such, I have decided to create my own system, tentatively named the 'Burn' system.

Something for you to chew on, but more on that later. XD
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

^_^x

#40 Post by ^_^x »

OMG!

This seriously look amazing!!! darn..if only i could draw like that x.x..someday someday.

babyfish
Veteran

#41 Post by babyfish »

Finally finished the save screen and the prefs screen... I think that's about most of the screens done?

(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#42 Post by Snow Blossom »

Really cute like the rest; the feather (?) at the top corner is a good touch :)

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Riviera »

That is an amazing GUI! I wonder how the feather on those two latest shots would look if it were facing the other way?

Really appreciate all the work you're doing to make it look extra nice!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

babyfish
Veteran

#44 Post by babyfish »

It would look like this. :) Do you think that looks better, though?

On a side note, I should probably mention now that a lot of the designing on the interface was due to the custom shapes I downloaded from this site:

http://dezignus.com/floristic-shapes2/#more-264

For those who are graphics/photoshop savvy, this site is just brilliant if you need free resources. Be sure to check with the terms of usage before downloading them! The Foliage shapes are some of the best I've seen there.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#45 Post by SilverxBlue »

babyfish wrote:On a side note, I should probably mention now that a lot of the designing on the interface was due to the custom shapes I downloaded from this site:

http://dezignus.com/floristic-shapes2/#more-264

For those who are graphics/photoshop savvy, this site is just brilliant if you need free resources. Be sure to check with the terms of usage before downloading them! The Foliage shapes are some of the best I've seen there.
Checked the link and it looks so awesome,To think that UI-icon making has been giving me a headache this past few days. Thanks for sharing. :)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!