Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2956 Post by Tachyglossus »

Ha, I really like that style. It looks so expressive! I just adore her lips. Did you colour that with markers or digitally?

Oh, and thanks for the comment on the skin. I worked to get only the very slightest redder hues in select places, and to make the lips look natural without being the same flesh tone or looking too much like she's wearing lipstick.

I agree that her chin needed more definition and her features needed to be straightened, but I also wanted her to have a slopy, chubby look to her face. So I made a few fixes. What do you think? Any better or still weird looking?
Attachments
tal1b.png

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#2957 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yeah, I think that looks much better :D Very nice. The skin does that that nice natural feel.

And my picture is digital, I just used a film grain filter and a paper texture to give it that effect.

Tachyglossus
Regular

#2958 Post by Tachyglossus »

I really need to learn how to incorperate filters and textures... I just used a pre-set 'rough pencil' tool to add texture to her jeans, by colouring some in a darker shade and then some a lighter, then shading over top of it. It would have been so much quicker if I just had a textured filter or something. Heck, until maybe last year, I didn't even know what a filter was (in context of art programs). Ha ha ha, I'm a bit behind on the jargon and effects available to me in the digital era, and yet, now I can hardly go back to traditional medias! I'm addicted to the 'undo' button!

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#2959 Post by Elze »

@tachy > Adding texture isn't really as profound as it sounds, really. xD
You basically just add a texture photo/image (can be a picture of paint, fabric, paper, whatever you like) as a layer over your drawing layer. Then decrease opacity and change the blending mode of the layer to suit the look you're going for (eg. multiply, overlay). Just 2 basic steps and that's it. It's pretty rudimentary. C:

Tachyglossus
Regular

#2960 Post by Tachyglossus »

Thanks for the easy tip!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#2961 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yeah, I don't really know what I am doing with textures and filters ^^' I play around with it until I am happy with how it looks. But they can definitely add a lot to a picture and take something simple and make it look cool :D

Dunceney
Regular
Completed: Untold Myth 1st Tale
Projects: Untold Myth 2nd Tale

#2962 Post by Dunceney »

Ummm.... I'm kinda confused about my art style for my next project, so I want to ask your opinion which drawing style I should use.

Should I stick to my current style
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 3bxtbh.jpg

Or use my previous (revamped) style?
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 37erpv.jpg

Or maybe I should develop a new style? XDD

Tachyglossus
Regular

#2963 Post by Tachyglossus »

Those are both very nice pictures; very smooth shading.. but I don't see them as having so very different styles. I think it all boils down to the tone of your next project to decide which style to use. If it's cute and fluffy, do cutsie art with light colours, subtle shading, and lots of gentle curves. If it's something dark and serious, go more angular with stronger lines and darker shading. Something dramatic? Somewhere inbetween, perhaps with slightly more desaturated colour, ESPECIALLY if it is a time piece. Mmmm desaturated colours... Oh and something comedic? Bright colours and very simplistic art.

That's just my take.

Dunceney
Regular
Completed: Untold Myth 1st Tale
Projects: Untold Myth 2nd Tale

#2964 Post by Dunceney »

Weeeee~ that's pretty complex X3

Maybe the differences kinda vague but, the first one has rough outline (scanned pencil/pen), and coloring was only done with brush (not the background XDD). The second one has traced outline with pen tool, and the coloring use more tools than the first one.

So the outcome is, the first style is faster to finish, and has more sketchy feel. While the second one yields smoother result (I'm aiming to the level of those commercial VNs), but took a lot more time to finish.

After I read what you said I guess I'll use the first style for serious VN, and the second style for a more lighthearted story.

Arcanum
Veteran

#2965 Post by Arcanum »

@Dunceney - I liked the first style a lot more, but maybe it was your color choice. The second style looks brighter, and I rather prefer the soft looks of the first one (I think using only the brush tool also softened it a lot).

I'm also attaching a file of a sprite I'm working on. It's lacking the detail I plan adding on, but if it all goes right, she will be the heroine of a future game!
Attachments
girl.png

Alphonse
Regular

#2966 Post by Alphonse »

Arcanum wrote:I'm also attaching a file of a sprite I'm working on. It's lacking the detail I plan adding on, but if it all goes right, she will be the heroine of a future game!
*_* I love the smooth and flowy coloring! (...It's hard to describe what I mean. That cell-shady soft-shady where you can almost see the colors in currents...) And I like the pastel colors. But unless you make the backgrounds yourself, won't the sprite look a little washed out? Although, there are filters and stuff you could use.

(I think this is my first post in this thread?)

Arcanum
Veteran

#2967 Post by Arcanum »

Ahh, thank you! I… kinda figured it out already when trying to do a test here with some free resources, so I'll have to figure out if it's better for me to make backgrounds myself or simply change the color, although I really like pastel colors /o

choklitchan
Regular

#2968 Post by choklitchan »

A little comic I did one day during... guess... math class.

The Calculator
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m54 ... G_0006.jpg
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#2969 Post by LVUER »

@choklitchan:
I don't really get the meaning of this strip... And why other students don't use calculator too?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

choklitchan
Regular

#2970 Post by choklitchan »

:P Sorry about that...
He's basically daydreaming that his calculator is the detonator for a bomb which will blow up his school, and (somehow) leaving him the only survivor. (I have a thing for buttons...)
He comes out of his daydream, with ten minutes left for the math exam, and proceeds to try to make the daydream come true to avoid it.
What elementary schooler hasn't at least once dreamt of school disappearing?
Or... any student, for that matter...
Maybe he's the only one who needs it?
In truth, I forgot to put one for each student. :P
Last edited by choklitchan on Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)