Dropped Projects

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Dropped Projects

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I just dropped a project i was currently working on after having a fight with my co-writer and telling me to remove all her works in the game. But it doesn't mean i'd disappear in the community.

I searched in the WIP section and i found many dropped(or abandoned) games that were really interesting but was abandoned or dropped. :( and the maker, seemed to have disappeared without any trace. I really feel saddened about it :( And much more when i dropped my game... i dropped a game, am i not allowed to stay in lemmasoft anymore? Cause that's how others seemed to be...... TT^TT

*Just asking this out of insecurity...
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Dropped Projects

#2 Post by teacup »

People drop/abandon projects all the time. Why else would the WIP section be so much larger than the completed games section? XD. Just because you dropped it doesn't mean you are exiled from the forum, lol.
I think a lot of those people who 'disappear' simply dropped their project and for some reason or other didn't want to come out and say 'Yeah, I gave up'. So they just left. Or maybe their life became too busy and they don't have time to go on the forum anymore. But no one told them to leave because they dropped their game XD
Don't worry, it happens. (I have an abandoned thread in the WIP section too, lol... orz)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

Well by posting more you have more clout, so it's the other party that would feel more unwelcome. If you're still on harsh terms expect to be trolled once you do get your project out (though I think guest posting here has since been disabled).

I think fall-outs from creative differences that sabotage even real friendships are an occasion all too common. It's hard enough to stay motivated to see your project through to completion, and sometimes the only positive thing you see in the end is a random pat on the back from an internet stranger -- and there's less of that nowadays (especially if your game isn't GxB).

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Yeah, don't beat yourself up over it. The best thing you can do is learn from the experience.

And you're not the only person here that gets depressed reading the WIP section :(
I've personally never made a WIP thread for my own projects, partially because I'm afraid the existence of the thread would jinx the project, and partially because I wanted to wait until things were finalized because my stories usually undergo many revisions and details sometimes change. (For these reasons, I'm not sure if any of my projects are ever going to get WIP threads :lol: )

Anyway, you don't get banished for dropping a project, so take heart and do your best to finish the next one! ^_^
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OtomeWeekend »

teacup wrote: Don't worry, it happens. (I have an abandoned thread in the WIP section too, lol... orz)
This gave me some motivations again... :) You abandoned a game before but your current one, (P)lanets is really awesome :DD

DaFool wrote:Well by posting more you have more clout, so it's the other party that would feel more unwelcome. If you're still on harsh terms expect to be trolled once you do get your project out (though I think guest posting here has since been disabled).

I think fall-outs from creative differences that sabotage even real friendships are an occasion all too common. It's hard enough to stay motivated to see your project through to completion, and sometimes the only positive thing you see in the end is a random pat on the back from an internet stranger -- and there's less of that nowadays (especially if your game isn't GxB).
Well, our fight isn't really game-related but RL related. :( Even if i try mailing her(she's in the philippines) she'd just ignore it :'(
I hope we'd get along well soon so that MAYBE we'd pick up our game again :((
Sapphi wrote:Yeah, don't beat yourself up over it. The best thing you can do is learn from the experience.

Anyway, you don't get banished for dropping a project, so take heart and do your best to finish the next one! ^_^
Yeah, i might sound really mean but i also learned that in making a game or any others, its best that you don't work with someone you know intimately(oh, did i said something really daring? no, i don't mean anything at all, i mean close or something).

I'm trying to work on a project this time all alone, so that I could avoid these incidents again :((
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#6 Post by Blue Sky »

I simply abandoned my WIP page because it was a hassle. Plus life gets in the way, etc.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

OtomeWeekend wrote: Yeah, i might sound really mean but i also learned that in making a game or any others, its best that you don't work with someone you know intimately(oh, did i said something really daring? no, i don't mean anything at all, i mean close or something).

I'm trying to work on a project this time all alone, so that I could avoid these incidents again :((
Not everyone works well with others. Sometimes you can get more done by yourself than you could with a partner, and cut out a lot of the stress that comes with trying to collaborate. I always dreaded being made to "work in groups" at school because it made the assignments take twice as long as they would have otherwise. The nice thing about working by yourself is that you get to do things however you like and there's nobody else to object :P Of course, it kind of requires you to have a higher degree of self-discipline when you work alone because there's nobody directly connected to the project harping on you to work on it :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

With all the projects I dropped, it's a miracle I'm still here and making games, right? Wrong! If you're really into it, one failed project won't make you quit! Learn your lessons from your failure, leave behind what's behind, and put your heart into the next game!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@Taleweaver:
And let me tell you how much I envy you! :) I just ask this question yeah, with insecurity because of how I notice that many makers that dropped their work weren't coming back in Lemma now... :(

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

By the way, here's one addition to my Wall of Shame:

Inside/Outside
Inside/Outside was a great idea in concept, but beyond my programming abilities at that time. Essentially, it was a VN without any choices, with a real-time interface, and only one interactive feature: Your protagonist, who was telling his story from a first-person narrator's view, had a split personality, one being a meek, gentle guy who allows everybody to walk all over him, the second being an aggressive, intelligent sociopath who takes from life what he can get and who never has any trouble getting what he wants. You had one button that would let out that second personality of yours, thus the title Inside/Outside. At certain points, your meek real personality would take over again, and if you held your aggressive self inside for too long, it could sometimes break out on its own at the least inopportune moments. I relied on someone else's programming skills to do this, and when this person left, I had to drop the project with a half-complete script.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@Taleweaver:
Oh, most of your games were dropped because someone left the team??? :? I like your games, and the dropped ones seems really interesting :(

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I dropped before a game when I was 10... I started getting discouraged when my PC keeps on crashing and I had to repeat all I did from the beginning. This is where I based my old game.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@Lumen: that looks interesting :) I used to fantasize a lot when i was 10 about a fangame for tenipuri but they remained as fantasies as I haven't met ren'py at that time before XDD

btw, I was actually planning a game related to the heroine disguising... and I found this: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... white+lily ---they look completely the same.... though it looks like it hasn't been updated for a year now, I'm scared to go for that story in case this game ever becomes active again...I'd totally root for this :(

So, I visualize another story, and well, I'm still experimenting on some ideas(even posting one possible in my blog)... I hope this time i won't drop games...

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#14 Post by Elenakiara »

Don't worry about it! :3 <3 We still love you! Without sounding creepy... xD I told someone on here once that when you pretty much have to drop a project because of a real life problem or someone leaving the story and having an 'e-divorce' with the different parts of a story... it's nothing to be ashamed of! :)

Many time when I have lots of homework and things in life, I think: "Meh, a story about Ancient Rome isn't as cool as some of the other stories here... Ancient Egypt is way more popular when I ask everyone and I -am- quite inspired by the Mummy movies... Hmm..." But, I tell myself that I need to follow-through with a project and get criticism on how I write before I start anything else anyway. xD I find that dropping a project because of lazyness (like I am inclined to at times xD) would be disgraceful and way worse than the reason you stated would ever be. :)

So yeah, all that to say: Don't take it too hard on yourself! :)
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#15 Post by sake-bento »

OtomeWeekend wrote:i dropped a game, am i not allowed to stay in lemmasoft anymore? Cause that's how others seemed to be...... TT^TT
You're allowed to stay! No one says you have to be a game maker to be a part of LS.