Why do you make games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

Why do you make games?

#1 Post by Lotus »

We all have our different reasons for making games. Some of us make them as a way to make money, some make games because they have a story to tell, some make them just because it's fun. What's your reason? :)

My reason is that I want to instill the same feeling I get from playing certain games. It'll probably take years and dozens of projects to get that far, but I really want to make players experience that same feeling deep in their chest/heart/bosom/etc area.

The only way I can describe this feeling is by showing an example of what gives me that feeling, but if you've never played Chrono Cross or don't like it you might not experience the same feeling. It's a special feeling I think you can only get after experiencing something amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQ7yEYwEnE

I know it may sound cheesy, but to be able to instill this feelings in others is one of the main reasons I am striving to be an artist. My life will be complete when I accomplish that <3

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

Re: Why do you make games?

#2 Post by SilverxBlue »

I make games cause ever since I was young, I always dreamed of being a game maker... I held onto that dream for almost ten years and when I was on my sophomore year in High School someone told me some things and I almost lost my desire and hopes to make one. But then a year later I discovered lemmasoft and renpy and thanks to these I was able to live my dream again. I'm still a noob but still... I' manage to fulfill my dream bit by bit.
So... yeah, I make games cause it has always been a lifelong dream... XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

redcat
Regular

#3 Post by redcat »

Lotus wrote:We all have our different reasons for making games. Some of us make them as a way to make money, some make games because they have a story to tell, some make them just because it's fun. What's your reason? :)
Reason? Gold and Glory. :twisted: Although I'm still faaaaar from it :lol:

Perhaps my real reason was the desire to create something that can be considered as my "legacy/heritage" in this world, while having fun doing it.

Btw, I have other question that I'm hesitated to put into another thread (I hope Lotus doesn't mind that I am hi-jacking her thread) :
If you're a professional game developer who's making a living by creating games, would you prefer working for AAA game company (which gives you lots of benefits), or would you prefer building indie games instead (with the risk of.. well... living in poverty)? And why?
Meowwngg...??

Arcanum
Veteran

#4 Post by Arcanum »

Haha, I haven't gone far yet, but I think making a game (specially a VN) is just another form of storytelling. Some are scriptwriters for movies and plays, some authors books, others create comics... And like every other form of telling a tale, it's got its own special properties.

Lotus
Veteran

#5 Post by Lotus »

@redcat lol, I don't mind if you hijack my thread ;) I would personally try to sell indie games on the side (not as my main source of income) before joining some big company, so that way I know what the hell I'm doing and have a better chance at keeping the job xD
@Silverblue I hope both you and I fulfill our dreams to the fullest. REACH FOR THE STARS MY FRIEND~ Image

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#6 Post by Chu-3 »

since it gives me a new purpose of life? (sentimental mode on) OTL

i'm prefer to go indies now, after quit my job in a game company before OTL
why? because it's really hard to make a game in a company.
I met some new guys in Japanese Big Game Company, and lot of them can't directly related to the game's development.
Mostly events related, or server maintenance, or mobile sites.

My former department's chief asked me to work there for 20 -30 years then open a child company in home country but... I won't (since I will be around 50 or more T-T) and I really want to make otome... which is a bit different with the previous company's style.
But I'm not really recommend people to follow my crazy path here... since I myself feel a big pressure and stress now OTL

shahab96
Veteran

#7 Post by shahab96 »

Well I dont really make many things for myself. I know that sounds farfetched but its kind of true. I work on Ren'Py to make games a friend of mine thinks up. He's like a dreamer so he always gets new stuff in his head, and since I have the power to do something about it I do. As for the reason WHY I do that. Well, its like this. (Sorry for boring story though) The first time he told me about a story he thought up I made it. Not very big or complicated, it was just a little board game with a story. But when I showed him he lit up and started thanking me hysterically....it was kind of weird though....but from that I felt this feeling that told me, "Shahab, today you did something good.". That feeling is why I make games. Even now I'm making his games and also some for another friend. But the reason I do it is because I want to feel that feeling again.
The true measure of a man is what he does with his power.

Mirage
Veteran

#8 Post by Mirage »

redcat wrote:Btw, I have other question that I'm hesitated to put into another thread (I hope Lotus doesn't mind that I am hi-jacking her thread) :
If you're a professional game developer who's making a living by creating games, would you prefer working for AAA game company (which gives you lots of benefits), or would you prefer building indie games instead (with the risk of.. well... living in poverty)? And why?
Even if I were given a second chance, I'll still go indie. Working for AAA company is just going to suck my soul away. It's very different to work for your own vision versus working for another person's vision. Sure, I'll make more money and have a stable income working for another person, but I won't get the satisfaction of creating something with own hand. Though, I do think it's a good learning experience to work for AAA company.

As for why I make games...

1) It's fun.
2) I feel great to be inspired by awesome games. In turn, I wish my games can inspire people.
3) Satisfaction. Pride. Accomplishment. All in one.
4) It's fun.
5) Make money so I can continue making games until the end of my life.
6) Did I mention it's fun?

Lotus
Veteran

#9 Post by Lotus »

shahab96 wrote:Well I dont really make many things for myself. I know that sounds farfetched but its kind of true. I work on Ren'Py to make games a friend of mine thinks up. He's like a dreamer so he always gets new stuff in his head, and since I have the power to do something about it I do. As for the reason WHY I do that. Well, its like this. (Sorry for boring story though) The first time he told me about a story he thought up I made it. Not very big or complicated, it was just a little board game with a story. But when I showed him he lit up and started thanking me hysterically....it was kind of weird though....but from that I felt this feeling that told me, "Shahab, today you did something good.". That feeling is why I make games. Even now I'm making his games and also some for another friend. But the reason I do it is because I want to feel that feeling again.
That's an awesome reason, and I totally understand <3
Mirage wrote: 1) It's fun.
2) I feel great to be inspired by awesome games. In turn, I wish my games can inspire people.
3) Satisfaction. Pride. Accomplishment. All in one.
4) It's fun.
5) Make money so I can continue making games until the end of my life.
6) Did I mention it's fun?
Those are very true and good reasons as well. I think that feeling I mentioned is similar to the 2nd reason, inspiration, but it's a little different. It's something more than just inspiration.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by HigurashiKira »

For me, the only reason I make them is just expand my audience. I like to write on my free time, but usually all that work is ignored when compared to fan fiction. By making them not only am I drawing attention to my stories, I also get to have the satisfaction of completing something.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Mirage
Veteran

#11 Post by Mirage »

Lotus wrote: Those are very true and good reasons as well. I think that feeling I mentioned is similar to the 2nd reason, inspiration, but it's a little different. It's something more than just inspiration.
Actually I think the reason should be similar, I just couldn't put it into words. I played Chrono Cross, too. And frankly speaking, I feel enlightened after I finished the game. It's so amazing that something like this can exist in this world. I want to make something like that, too.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#12 Post by jack_norton »

I make games because that's what I always wanted to do since I got my first PC (the glorious commodore 64).
redcat wrote: Btw, I have other question that I'm hesitated to put into another thread (I hope Lotus doesn't mind that I am hi-jacking her thread) :
Having worked in an AAA company before (well, in Italy, so not big as the UK/US ones anyway) I have no doubt about the choice of being indie. I know lots of people that worked for very big companies like Lionhead and they're all much happier being indie. At least those who managed to make enough money :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#13 Post by sake-bento »

I like telling stories, and visual novels are an extension of that. I also write comics and I'm working on a novel. >.>;;

I think mostly I just really want to see people have fun. My big "aim for this!" goal/motto/mission statement has always been to create things that people will find fun.

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#14 Post by Nimuell »

What an interesting thread OuO
My reasons are really weird.

I want to do this for my characters.
It's like giving them flesh and blood and the world they can live in, outside my head. If everything done right, they can also colonize hearts of the readers and settle in there too :'D
Yes, I guess it's similar to the desire of just telling the story.
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

choklitchan
Regular

#15 Post by choklitchan »

Hmmm... I have lots of reasons why I love making VN games.

1.) VNs incorporate almost everything I love doing; making and telling stories, drawing, listening to music, etc.
2.) I love storytelling. I've been reading ever since I can remember, and creating stories and people and places. I could daydream the entire day away, just making up stories in my head.
3.) I enjoy drawing. I'm all right at it, and I like challenging myself to see how much better I can get. I love how I can take an image in my head and (sort of) transcribe it on paper.
4.) I love sharing ideas, and VNs have so many! I love the "what ifs".
5.) Programming isn't a skill that comes easily to me, since I'm usually not a very logical person, but it's fun learning new things, and helps me think in ways I usually don't.
6.) Last, but not least, I agree with Lotus up there. Although I am a very beginner-game maker, I love delving into stories, and the feelings I get from getting to know the characters and sharing their world, and I would very much like to share that kind of feeling with other people.
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)