For GxB game. Do you prefer a side image or no side image?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

For GxB game. Do you prefer a side image or no side image?

#1 Post by Chu-3 »

I just wonder about the side image. (The main character's face that displayed within the text box)
Do you think it is necessary? or you would prefer a game without side image?
As a player, I prefer a game with the side image, since I like a main character with a personality.
But recently, I found that lot of game disabled the side images, since lot of players said that they don't need the main character's personality or name.
So I wonder which one do you prefer? Or maybe you won't mind if the game has side image or not?

Ah, and this is a question about the side image within the otome game.
(But for games that focus on story development, not on the dating system.)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: For GxB game. Do you prefer a side image or no side imag

#2 Post by OtomeWeekend »

i prefer heroines with personality... face.... that's why i love games like hakuouki and hiiro no kakera or any other games from otomate.... :P
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King

#3 Post by Chu-3 »

Eh? but mostly otomate game doesn't have the character face @.@
Hakuoki and Hiiro doesn't have the main character's face, I believe. (that displayed on the text box, the main character has a face in the CGs though)

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#4 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I prefer having a side image.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OtomeWeekend »

oh, i completely forgot about the side image(btw, renai banchou has the heroine's face) D3P's vitamin series also has it XP

I prefer that I saw them on side image but if your character is an annoying one(blush everytime like crazy like those shoujo manga heroines), you better show them on CGs only :P
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Chu-3
Veteran

#6 Post by Chu-3 »

ah yes some of otomate game has side image (like desert kingdom, which you can choose to enable/disable it)
and renai banchou is developed by rejet i guess, since the engine they used is kind of different with other otomate's game.
Otomate/idea factory is the publisher.

D3P and 5pb. games usually use the side image. Takuyo games too.

Still honeybee (starry) and Otomate has more popularity in this field.
I checked Koei game>>seems Haruka series has side image, but corda not.

And lately I found more games without side images....
Otomate, they even announced to make a game without main character's dialogue (Amnesia), and kannou mukashi banashi>I don't know how will it be, since the drama cd has no main character.
And now

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#7 Post by chensterrain »

If the character already has a default name and personality (basically if the game is a visual novel), side images are cool, though I'd happily play a game without them. If the game is a sim, on the other hand, where the heroine's name and personality are more up to you, I don't think side images are as necessary, but it's up to you, really!

The only time I specifically dislike side images is when they're exactly the same as a sprite already on screen (I think Garnet Cradle did this - they used side images for the character currently speaking as well as for the heroine).

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#8 Post by RemnantDream »

I have another question about this. Would you rather there be a side image of the MC or have the MC be a sprite on screen?
I didn't know if I should make a new thread for this since it's such a closely related topic..

clannadman

#9 Post by clannadman »

RemnantDream wrote:I have another question about this. Would you rather there be a side image of the MC or have the MC be a sprite on screen?
I didn't know if I should make a new thread for this since it's such a closely related topic..
One or the other? Usually the MC is offscreen and you play from their perspective but I've seen some VNs where there is both a side image and an on screen sprite for the MC. Usually a side image is used for when the MC speaks but not their inner thoughts.

Arcanum
Veteran

#10 Post by Arcanum »

I'm actually new to this whole side image business. Either I played some otome games where there was no image at all, or BL games where the main character usually appears as a sprite like any other character in the game. I've never actually played any game (besides fanmade games, of course) where the heroine appears as a side image... I rather like having the main character as a sprite.

Chu-3
Veteran

#11 Post by Chu-3 »

actually for BL, lot of them is using third person point of view, not first person.
And again, different from otome, in BL, they made the game mostly without the concept that player=main character.
that's why lot of bl game doesn't provide a changeable name for the main character.
another reason is, mostly BL in japan is made for girls, which they want to see the pretty boys more, which is different with otome.

i don't know about the GxB games in english but, in japanese GxB games, it is very rare to see the main character as a sprite, if it's not an episode which the story is told from different character's point of view.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#12 Post by Pyonkotchi »

i prefer side image. i don't really like having to wait for cgs just to see the mc's face (if its even shown)
i also don't like when the MC has a full sprite like the others, because i'm not used to it, i get confused to who the MC is supposed to be sometimes /slow

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#13 Post by GeneDNC »

I haven't played many VN's but my preference is (if you play as the MC):
side image > no image > on screen MC sprite
Last edited by GeneDNC on Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#14 Post by sake-bento »

My general preference for any VN (GxB or not) is to have a side image if it's a first person game. If the story takes place in third person, then the main character really should have a sprite on the screen like everyone else. It would be weird, otherwise.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#15 Post by Glasskitten »

Heh, I haven't got a preference as to whether the narrator has a side image, but a sprite would confuse me if it were written in first person. Side images of characters shown simultaneously as sprites would also probably annoy me if they were identical because of the redundancy, but confuse me if they weren't identical because I would be trying to figure out which was the "real" image at any given time.
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)