Is there any way to speed up the performance?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

Is there any way to speed up the performance?

#1 Post by Chu-3 »

I'm sorry if anyone before has asked the same things.
I just wonder if there is any way to speed up the performance of renpy.
Example when it does the skip function, the speed is really slow, when there's a transition/ side image exist between dialogue. (like hide XXX with dissolve, etc before the next dialogue). I use so many transition effects so the skip speed is really slow..

Other: I used the readback.rpy and it takes a while before the readback is shown.
The quicksave menu works pretty slow too (maybe because I add too many customized functions on it)

I like renpy's feature, and so many customization that I can do with it, but I hope there's a way to speed up the performance.
I'm using a pretty low spec of laptop, but as far, there's no performance's speed down when I played kiri2 games/ nscripter games.

My laptop processor is Intel Atom N280 1.66 GHz, while my desktop, which has a better performance is Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz.
Both OS are Win XP.

The performance is better in desktop, but still, the skip's speed is slower than game made by kiri2/nscripter.
I'm not saying that kiri2/nscript is better, since I tried those two before but renpy is easier to understand for me.

I'm sorry for my bad english >< hope anyone here can help me to solve this issue...

*My game's demo is only available in Japanese now, but you can try it to know how "slow" the speed I meant....

rinrin
Veteran
Completed: Several.
Projects: Several.

Re: Is there any way to speed up the performance?

#2 Post by rinrin »

Same here!
Dissolve looks horrible on my old notebook and things get even worse when I use screen language (it sometimes takes almost 2 seconds just to switch tabs on interface, mouseover effects are super slow etc).

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King

#3 Post by Chu-3 »

*glad that there is other member that has same issue...

yeah and when i tried to run my game on android, it's like freezing for 2-3 seconds (or more) before open the readback menu, or when trying to go back to the normal game.
Moreover, after I played it on Android for an hour, the normal text will freeze for 2 seconds (or more) before displayed the next text.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

What resolution are you using ? I don't have such slowness issues and I made some games (see my recent Undead Lily test) that has some BIG sprites and pushes Ren'Py to the limits :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

shahab96
Veteran

#5 Post by shahab96 »

Well I havent really announced it yet but I'm working on making a ren'py clone in the GO language. However you can expect it wont be done anytime this year.
The true measure of a man is what he does with his power.

Chu-3
Veteran

#6 Post by Chu-3 »

@jack_norton
800x600

I'll try to download your game, and if I experienced the slowness within this game too, I'm sure that it is effected by the processor's speed. actually my laptop is not too old (about 1-2 years old) but it is cheap with a not too high spec.
*Add:
I played your game and it looks fine when move right/left, but when I pressed attack, I only saw lily's face zoomed then for next 3-5minutes(not seconds) i can't do nothing beside open the game menu by right-clicking. Then aquaria? comes on the screen, then again the screen only views both of them for 3-5 minutes(and i can't do nothing beside open the game menu) before back to the normal screen.

somehow I felt this is a bit different with the slowness I experienced within my game...
just my feeling though :(
Last edited by Chu-3 on Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by jack_norton »

Maybe you don't have GL driver installed, and you're using software renderer. Can you resize your game window? if not, means you're using software renderer, and I think PyTom might be interested in seeing your opengl.txt file :)
computer games

Chu-3
Veteran

#8 Post by Chu-3 »

resize the game window using what? the laptop's graphic property or?
and i saw the open gl logo inside my laptop graphic's property... (sorry i don't know much about the open gl)
and where can i find the opengl.txt?

but the one that i want to know is... is there any way to make renpy game works smoother/ has better performance speed in low spec computer like mine? since i saw kiri2 and nscripter can do it.
and i believe there are lot of people that still using old/low spec pc...

and this is not only about the pc i use, since i also met the worse issue/speed when using my android (xperia x10i)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Resize the window using mouse :) you know when you hover in the window angles, you usually can resize windows.
I don't know about android, but I have a netbook similar to your specs and I can run the demo of Undead Lily which is VERY graphic intensive (1280x400px background+ two 1024x300 layers + 8 different "props" + 2 big 1024x1024 sprites all transparent which means lot of VRAM).
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by jack_norton »

Ah I see you played the demo too. Forget about the attack since is broken :D but if that one runs smooth, means you're doing something weird in your game, since if that game runs smooth, ANY other visual novel will :D
Unless you are using 4096x4096 pixel sprites or something weird :)
computer games

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#11 Post by Aleema »

I also notice performance lags, but I figured it was because I was making too complicated a game ... testing Ren'Py's boundaries and whatnot. It's funny to have to have a high-end computer for a simple text-sprite game. =P I only started noticing these performance issues when OpenGL came around.

Chu-3
Veteran

#12 Post by Chu-3 »

@jack
yeah i know... my code is very ugly ><;;; and now i wonder if there's a way to speed up it since it takes 3-4 seconds to open the readback/backlog in my computer.

and then about the slowness of the skip function... i realized that when there's no side image viewed, the skip speed is normal, like the skip speed when i played the tutorial. but when i used the side image, the speed becomes slow.
i'm using conditional portrait for my side image... and now i'm using around 66 kind of side images... (maybe i use too much?)
but still in some menu, i found so many lag.