My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

For the rest of your otaku life.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

#1 Post by Fawn »

Anyone here watch this amazing show besides me? xD Ponies is awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJ6-gN0eB4

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Tried watching it on Youtube a little while ago, but got distracted after a few minutes. When I'm online, my attention span tends to be distressingly short...

That said, I've heard a lot of good things about Friendship is Magic. First it was hyped up by Geeknights, and then by Otaku in Review. And just recently, Paul Chapman from Greatest Movie Ever has admitted to becoming a brony. Overall, what I've heard is that the characterization and writing are rather good as far as kids' cartoons go... which means that adults enjoy the show as well.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Riviera »

A new mashup for it gets posted on The Mary Sue almost every other week.

I've heard good things, but I am being stubborn and old fashioned and still miss the older version of MLP. XD
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

I've watched all the episodes so far... I think for season one at least, but I really like it. It makes me wish they had this sort of quality when I was younger, I would have been absolutely in love with it.

I've mentioned this before, but the new MLP is probably more successful especially with older crowds because each of the main ponies have character and you can remember their names and characteristics! (Applejack farms apples, has an accent, Rarity is your fashionista pony, etc). I've seen some of the old MLP... Can't remember any of the pony names and the color schemes were horrendous 80s colors...

And hell, it's about FRIENDSHIP and the bare basics of it. It may seem like an old formula, but it's still a good thing to teach kids regardless even if we like our dark or action packed cartoons (herro Young Justice). The world and setting of MLP is also very interesting in my opinion, they make it interesting, enough to make you want to know more about how things work in the pony land.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#5 Post by Suikama »

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#6 Post by yummy »

At first, I was kinda hesitant to click on the link... But actually, this show is quite interesting!
The characters are unique, not complicated since it's a tv program aimed at a relatively young audience, but I don't know, the animation is good and expressive, the scenes well thought, transitions very well made.
It has this feel about cartoonesque but also light pop culture so the artwork is a trademark on its own.

I've watched seven episodes so far and some scenes made me crack a smile.
Plus, it carries right values, the dubbing is quite good...

Really, it's a show everyone would enjoy easily.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#7 Post by Pyonkotchi »

guhhhhh
I love this so hard. The voice acting is so awesome. Tara Strong~
Pinkie is my favorite pony. she's so weird. its awesome <3

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

Yeah, I'm hooked as well. I love the series for its great blend of a classic kids' show with sometimes great fantasy writing (the pilot! hrrr!) and a not-too-serious play with some cartoon conventions (I especially loved the "sentai team" parody in "Dragonshy"). Very neat show!

*edit* And holy smokes, did you hear Rarity's song in "Suited for Success"? That's a tribute to Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the park with George, specifically "Putting it together"! That's an inside joke 99 percent of the show's viewers won't get... and the one percent that do will probably be as excited as me.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm guessing this would be more interesting for older audiences in any case. Heh, I let my niece (2 years and 7 months) watch it. She liked "The Runaway Rainbow," so I assumed she might like it. After one episode, she was goin, "Care Bears! Change to Care Bears!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

lordcloudx wrote:Heh, I let my niece (2 years and 7 months) watch it.
I'd say it's safe to let someone that age watch it, however, the show is geared more at girls between nine and thirteen, with themes like sleepover parties, dressing up, making cupcakes, having to study hard and learning to become friends with one another.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#11 Post by papillon »

MaiMai wrote: I've seen some of the old MLP... Can't remember any of the pony names and the color schemes were horrendous 80s colors...
As I was just having this argument with someone at Fanime, I will still insist that SOME of the early 80s MLP was pretty decent quality for a show being aimed at very young girls. There were overwrought dramatic fantasy plots and big scary monsters, and there WERE characters with personalities, many of whom I still remember. :)

Unfortunately the series decayed rapidly. Early on there were things like "The Return of Tambelon", a story about a mysterious evil city and its demon ruler banished to another dimension which is slowly starting to shift back into our own, thus causing unicorns to be trapped within it when they teleport... people still write fanfic about this! And these stories tended to be many parts long, so tiny me was all worked up about getting home from school in time to catch the next segment of the serial. But by the end of the series, they were doing single episodes that were only about baking cookies and making friends. Wah.

Probably somebody thought that the earlier stuff wasn't appropriate for five-year-olds. But THIS five-year-old ate it up. I was a huge fan of the best of what the old MLP could be.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#12 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I was more into Care Bears and Pound Puppies as a kid, though I definitely saw a lot of the My Little Pony toys. Mainly I only knew MLP from battling them with my GI Joes against my cousin and her force of magical rainbow colored pony toys! Never were military campaigns quite so FABULOUS, as my cousin often insisted that her ponies make friends with my soldiers after each battle and ride off into the sunset together!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

papillon wrote:
MaiMai wrote: I've seen some of the old MLP... Can't remember any of the pony names and the color schemes were horrendous 80s colors...
As I was just having this argument with someone at Fanime, I will still insist that SOME of the early 80s MLP was pretty decent quality for a show being aimed at very young girls. There were overwrought dramatic fantasy plots and big scary monsters, and there WERE characters with personalities, many of whom I still remember. :)
Haha, I guess it sounded like I was handwaving the pleasant nostalgia one may have had from the old series, sorry about that! XD I guess the point I was trying to make was that the new MLP works very well for today's audience compared to the old series. Although from what you described, that sounded really AWESOME. Oddly enough, the new MLP had just two episodes of an epic quest and now the majority are slice of life episodes about friendship and such.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#14 Post by Watercolorheart »

My face when this forum finally discovers this show: :D

We ended up with an 18-page topic on the Midna Fan Forum and I recently wanted to give a HUGE gift to my little sister and do a couple of fanimation shorts over the summer for Friendship is Magic for her.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#15 Post by Suikama »

Just finished. Man that last episode sure was something (spoilers).