a new tool for creating Ren'Py games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
farvardin
Regular

a new tool for creating Ren'Py games

#1 Post by farvardin »

Hello,

I've developped some tools for creating traditional gamebooks (CYOA) and exporting them to PDF, HTML and such.

It's using a very simple syntax, for creating chapter you just surround the number with "==" for example "== 15 ==" and to create nodes you just type "- description of the choice: 15"

Here is a sample code:

Code: Select all

== 19 ==

[tbd_ship.jpg]{~~~~} 

Surrounded by those Scottani and Iricimi strangers, I don't feel at ease in this place. Their green and dark-orange helmets make me nervous. I don't really need to obey, they're just basic sailors like me. But could I bear the insults?

- Rebel: 3
- Wait: 13
- or look around on the ship, fleeing cowardly to the upper deck: 5
Using a perl script, we can convert this syntax, based on txt2tags, to Ren'Py code! 8)

You can see a sample of source code, html and pdf rendering there, and also a downloadable Ren'Py sample game exported from the same code:
http://anamnese.online.fr/site2/textall ... lue_death/

(The exported Ren'Py code, only slightly edited to make it render better: http://anamnese.online.fr/site2/textall ... script.rpy )

It was initially made for using with Unix because it relies on makefiles and bash scripts, but it's possible to use it on Windows with this installer (and the update):

http://code.google.com/p/textallion/downloads/list
Last edited by farvardin on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

nope

Re: a new tool for creating Ren'Py games

#2 Post by nope »

Nice job, that's an interesting idea.
I'll try later on to test the implementation.

A fool's question - e-readers support the links in the text you used for skipping from page to page?
I never actually used such a device.

farvardin
Regular

#3 Post by farvardin »

nope wrote: A fool's question - e-readers support the links in the text you used for skipping from page to page?
I never actually used such a device.
yes they do (only numerical links are working). Btw I forgot to upload the EPUB export, it's done now. On this version, there is also only one chapter / page

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

Do you think you could help me get a kind of parser system set up for Ren'Py?

There are some non-parser driven text adventure games done in Inform (Aisle, The Space Under the Window, Galatea, Spider and Web, Shade) and I want to see some of the ideas done in a different medium.
I'm not even the same person anymore

farvardin
Regular

#5 Post by farvardin »

I've already programmed in Inform 6 and 7. I know a bit some of those games, but they involve to type the commands anyway. What do you have in mind, for porting them to Ren'Py? Could you develop more?

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#6 Post by Watercolorheart »

Yes, to both: I want a CYOA style "inventory" or "action bar" of clickable nouns and verbs and room/NPC objects off to the side, and optionally separate dialogue options (Galatea/ Emily Short style)

Yeah, I'm looking to market games with this tool. In short, Inform doesn't seem robust enough to support Ren'Py's ease of programming and animation tricks and music tricks combined with the flexibility to instant Python language tools but Ren'Py is robust enough to be molded to fit other systems. Since it kind of seemed like you had that thought in mind, I thought I would bring it up.

If you mean, will I commission you to develop a toolset for Perpetual Motion Studios... the answer is yes.

farvardin
Regular

#7 Post by farvardin »

I really don't know how I could achieve this, I don't even know how to program in python, I'm afraid. Why not ask to commission PyTom instead?

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Watercolorheart »

*derp*