suggestions for Bionic Heart 2

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: suggestions for Bionic Heart 2

#16 Post by netravelr »

Well, Tanya is a robot killing machine, right?

How about giving Luke the ability to add programs into her RAM and have her go out on missions. The programs could increase her capabilities in certain ways. The missions could either be VN based (dialogue trees with her skills giving her a chance to succeed at something) or could happen outside of the game. Just the first thing that came to my mind. I think that was your initial plan with Vera Blanc, but I might be wrong....
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#17 Post by jack_norton »

Heh, that's a nice idea indeed :) Yes was something I had in mind with Vera Blanc as well but I canceled before I started writing to avoid going insane (was a good move indeed).
I might really do that, especially since now I outsource all the writing. Doing the game design of such complex multiple branches VNs/sims AND doing even the writing in a foreign language was too hard for me and was taking away too much time that now I can spend on improving the gameplay!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

#18 Post by applegirl »

I have to say that I really enjoyed Bionic Heart 1 and even though I really enjoyed the VN, I wondered about how many people would buy the game. This question was not due to the game quality (which was really great--the story pulled you in, the endings surprised me, and the voice acting was quite nicely done). I wasn't sure if the market for a pure VN existed. I'm sad to hear that is currently the case but a light RPG seems like it would fit nicely in the story.

If this is a sequel, is it a continuation of one of the 24 endings from the first game? Will there be voice acting again? I actually liked the art from the first game, so I'm a little bummed to see such a different Tanya.

If the market for such sci-fi games are guys, I imagine Luke being the main protagonist again. But if there are girls buying (like me---although is that the minority?), maybe Tanya could be a choice as the main protagonist as well? I often wondered what was going on in her head and since she's such an interesting character, it seems like it'd be a blast to be a cool robot killing machine :)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#19 Post by mugenjohncel »

I just wanted to say that the way the characters were introduced in the first game using zoom is rather... weird...

Now I know this is a future setting but the first one feels... kinda too heavy and thick... both visually and story pacing...

At least "she" doesn't look like a guy now... based on the sketch you shown...

"POOF" (Disappears)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by jack_norton »

applegirl wrote:I have to say that I really enjoyed Bionic Heart 1 and even though I really enjoyed the VN, I wondered about how many people would buy the game. This question was not due to the game quality (which was really great--the story pulled you in, the endings surprised me, and the voice acting was quite nicely done). I wasn't sure if the market for a pure VN existed. I'm sad to hear that is currently the case but a light RPG seems like it would fit nicely in the story.
I reconsidered my statement above: it's not really the problem about "pure VN" games, indeed the game is still selling nowadays but not like my other more girl-oriented VN games (Heileen, etc). I think the problem is really that while girls buy games, boys... use other illegal ways to get them :? Had same problem with other male-oriented games like Card Sweethearts.
Well, their choice, but this made me stop willing to write male-oriented VNs.
applegirl wrote: If this is a sequel, is it a continuation of one of the 24 endings from the first game? Will there be voice acting again? I actually liked the art from the first game, so I'm a little bummed to see such a different Tanya.
Yes is a continuation of one of the 24 endings...won't say which one though, but all characters from first game are still alive, at least when the story starts. For the art, I personally liked Rebecca Gunter work too, but now she is going fulltime in webcomics and couldn't hire her anymore (even for other games).
applegirl wrote: If the market for such sci-fi games are guys, I imagine Luke being the main protagonist again. But if there are girls buying (like me---although is that the minority?), maybe Tanya could be a choice as the main protagonist as well? I often wondered what was going on in her head and since she's such an interesting character, it seems like it'd be a blast to be a cool robot killing machine :)
Yes, definitely you'll control BOTH Luke and Tanya in the sequel. I have a somewhat crazy idea (from narrative point of view) that would consist to use each character (Luke, Tanya, Tom, Helen, Mark, Tina & Roby) from the original game to tell a story, which would change based on the path of each single character. But have to see if I don't go crazy using this system!
Another idea I had is to make the game more like an old adventure game, first person view. Still brainstorming, since won't start it before next year for sure!
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by jack_norton »

mugenjohncel wrote: At least "she" doesn't look like a guy now... based on the sketch you shown...
LOL yes, Tanya was a bit too "androgyn" (hope is the right term?) in the first game that's true. However I might ask the artist to redraw her, since now seems too... manga, I want a more "adult manga" feeling, like this other sketch the artist sent for another top-secret game I'm working on:
computer games