Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - updated JULY 11, 2012

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 4TH, '11

#76 Post by babyfish »

@Arcanum: I'm so glad you like, it took me a while to finish. >.< And yeah, its not that easy, especially now that I have a bunch of projects to work on!

@teacup: Luckily it's not gonna be commercial. :) I haven't really had to spend money on this project yet, but if I do, I'll MAYBE just ask for donations and that's about it.

@manga_otaku: Unfortunately, no demo for a while yet, all I have right now is a prototype! Glad you like the graphics though :)

@Riviera: Actually that's pretty much how I learned how to handle Ren'Py. I can't learn by reading manuals, I just have to dive right in there and start messing with some codes like the DSE frameworks, or ones that other people have come up with from scratch. Programming is such a headache, but there is no problem I haven't solved (so far) by experimentation and sometimes trial and error. :)
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#77 Post by Riviera »

Hmmm, that is true. I just have a terrible habit of making simple things complicated and making complicated things into humongous labyrinths.

Originally wanted an otome game where the protagonist owned a store, managed it (by buying and selling to make a profit and stock her shelves), decorated it to attract different customer types, and met the guys as customers, fellow vendors she got stock from, or family friends. I've never played Recettear so I can only hope it wouldn't be anything like that. That's complex enough as it is, but I originally thought, "Let the player choose a personality archetype (kinda like Spirited Heart), so they could get different dialogue and/or store decoration options, and more replay value!"

God help me if I ever actually do all that for my very first VN.

Offrails done and over with... I was actually looking and looking at that last screen shot, and is making the GUI just a matter of making your own images and inserting them via the code?
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

babyfish
Veteran

#78 Post by babyfish »

Hmm.... That actually sounds like an interesting sort of gameplay! Actually, I work in retail as a sales associate, so a store management game would definitely be something I'd jump on. Of course, that does sound like a lot of programming work, but it sounds very possible for the capabilities Ren'py. Sales is fun!

Making your own images isn't absolutely necessary for a GUI, but it does make it look nicer! I'm a pretty visual person, so I find working with image maps very easy to work with. The clock, the heart shaped menu, the load/save screen, and the prefs screen are all imagemaps. The images were done using photoshop, and yes, they are shown using screen language, styles, and ui functions.

However, Ren'Py makes it so that making your own images isn't absolutely necessary, as you can see here with the DSE engine (which I basically built on top of to create my GUI).

http://www.renpy.org/w/images/f/f5/dse.png
(image taken from the Ren'Py wiki)

This was all done purely with ui.functions. Of course, you can use screen language too, and it'll do the same thing. :)

Hope that helps!

And so, at the start of every in-game day, all the screens are called up at once.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#79 Post by manga_otaku »

Urgh. Programming kills me =.= I mean, I had problem with conditional variables and all I needed to do was stick an init and define it somewhere - but it still took me about a week to figure it out.
You're amazing O.O If this was a manga I'd have starry eyes and ask to call you onee-san xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#80 Post by Snow Blossom »

manga_otaku wrote:Urgh. Programming kills me =.= I mean, I had problem with conditional variables and all I needed to do was stick an init and define it somewhere - but it still took me about a week to figure it out.
Lol the exact same thing happened with me! XD I'm always like "Script? What script? Let me finish the sprites... and backgrounds... and music.... ANYTHING BUT PROGRAMMING!!!" TT^TT

Babyfish, I would never have guessed this was your first game. And you got past everything by yourself??? That's just amazing. :shock:

babyfish
Veteran

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 10TH, '11

#81 Post by babyfish »

Still got loads to do, resources to finish, etc, but I decided to go ahead and script some of the events. As such, here's some screenshots of things to come.

I'll also go over examples of the possible events that may occur...

If a romantic interest favours you enough, they might give you gifts, or otherwise certain beneficial. What they give you depends on their personal tastes and personality, and will raise certain stats, or lower stress. Someday you might be able to return the favour.

Some events involving romantic interests are triggered by certain stats, such as stress level.

If your relationship with a certain person takes a turn for the worst... prepare for some repercussions. >D

Oh, and another background is currently in progress, as you can see. I've got an ugly placeholder for now. XD

That's all for now~ (' )<
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Sexo Grammaticus
Regular
Projects: human instrumentality and vocals section

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 10TH, '11

#82 Post by Sexo Grammaticus »

babyfish wrote: Image
No, you daft girl. It's a teacup and you're a Maid - he wants you to clean it and then roger him up against an ottoman.

Looking nice.
i have no signature and i must obscure game reference

Veniae
Veteran

#83 Post by Veniae »

@Sexo Grammaticus: LOL.

And omg, this game looks so professional. Good job! The sprites are gorgeous and the story seems intriguing and fun. And also a b!tch to program, but I believe you can manage! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to finish it, I know it will be awesome! Good luck!

manga_otaku
Veteran

#84 Post by manga_otaku »

It's her first game as well T_T

...yes I'm going to keep saying that and crushing myself into the ground T_T
*hides in corner*
Projects:
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#85 Post by Elenakiara »

manga_otaku wrote:It's her first game as well T_T

...yes I'm going to keep saying that and crushing myself into the ground T_T
*hides in corner*
Yes, I can't believe it! xDD It made me feel very critical for my own game, so I'm going to go improve my GUI. xD

I'm sooo looking forward for the game though. :3
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

manga_otaku
Veteran

#86 Post by manga_otaku »

But nice GUI is usually found in the dating sim kind of VNs so I suppose I could let her get away with it...>_>
*creeps out of corner a bit*
Projects:

babyfish
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JULY 2nd, '11

#87 Post by babyfish »

Happy post-Canada day, everybunnies. ...*hungover*

I know I've been neglecting this thread, but I have NOT been neglecting this project! I'm still working on it, I promise! That said, things have been busy this past month with midterm exams, projects, and work (and work parties), so I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like.

I've also been working on stuff related to gameplay mechanics, not all of which I can show you guys right now. BUT, I can show you one screenie, since it has been a while since I've shown you guys anything at all. And when it comes to gameplay mechanics, I do need your help, really.

This is the report of earnings screen. As you can see, your boss Seth will give you an informal evaluation. He'll also comment on particular events of the past week, and also your relations with other people. Apparently this guy really loves keeping tabs on you (XD).

In the game, you are paid a basic wage every week, though your actual total earnings may depend on how well that particular week went (Reminding you of Princess Maker yet?)

Basically, do well one week, and you'll get a bonus for that week. Mess up, and your wages will be docked. You'll also be paid if you sacrifice your breaks to do overtime.

Now, I've discussed this with a friend (who will be a future tester) and they mentioned that for a maid in real life and in a similar setting, they wouldn't realistically get paid overtime or have that many breaks in the middle of the day, if at all. I already considered this, but I think I also made it clear that I'm not going for 100% realism in this game.

That said, I'm going to throw this topic out there. Would you guys rather play a game in which your character works and earns money on a more realistic basis, or would you guys rather have me sacrifice realism in order to present to you a potentially fun gameplay mechanic?

It just seems as though, if the PC is made to just work, work, work all day and is NOT able to visit town, meet up with people, go on dates, or attend special events, that wouldn't make for a very fun game, would it?

Any comments on that? Any input on weekly earnings calculations would be welcome too.

Thanks bunches, as always, guys.

*goes to look for an icepack*
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JULY 2nd, '11

#88 Post by Snowflower »

This... This game...
babyfish-san, you. are godly with coding. Teach me your ways, sensei.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

babyfish
Veteran

#89 Post by babyfish »

Ahahah....thanks, dear, I really appreciate it. XD I wouldn't have been able to get this far without the encouragement, really.

It's just a lot of repetitive, basic Ren'Py stuffs. A lot of people have asked me to provide advice on GUI. Maybe one day if I feel confident, I'll try providing help with gameplay mechanics, too. XD
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#90 Post by Snow Blossom »

Well, maybe the MC could have a relatively long lunchbreak and work only till... er...6, so afterwards she can have free time to do what she wants? Or maybe she's only assigned to take care of a specific person or chores to make more free time available?
But if I had to choose, I'd go with a lighter workload. Since when were VNs that realistic anyways? :P