making an online game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Chronically Adixted

making an online game

#1 Post by Chronically Adixted »

I am a complete noob at making video games of any kind.Thanks to experiencing alot of the games on this site I have a bunch of ideas but i dont know how to get started. my ideas are based in the dating sim game area but are more elaborate than that. what programs do i need to get started and are they free or do i have to buy them?

Kimiko
Regular

Re: making an online game

#2 Post by Kimiko »

I recommend Ren'Py... most people here in LSF use this engine. It's free, plus it got a framework for Dating Sims: [DSE]
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#3 Post by manga_otaku »

1. Download Ren'Py.
2. For dating sim, you'll probably want the DSE framework found here.
3. Get sprites (characters) by either drawing them yourself, getting a commission or find them using a free site.
4. Do the same as 3, but get backgrounds.
5. Same as 3 and 4, but with music and SFX.
6. Using Ren'Py, make the script. Basics here.
7. Think of a name~! You can leave it to last I suppose...

For sprites and BGs that are for free use (so don't make a commercial game without some of your own work ;D Commercial being NOT FREE) I recommend this site here.

Have fun~!

Edit: There's also Novelty, but I think it'll be pretty hard to make a dating sim with that. So, I would stick to Ren'Py. :)

*hides in corner*
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Chronically Adixted

#4 Post by Chronically Adixted »

Thank you very much this was really useful :mrgreen:

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#5 Post by manga_otaku »

No problem :)
Look forward to hearing about you and your games in the future ;)
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#6 Post by fleet »

You can make a dating sim with Novelty, most folks on this site are familiar with Ren'py, and the experts here can answer your questions. Novelty has a much smaller user base; like Ren'py you can get help at their user forum. By on-line game, do you mean something that will play in a browser (versus downloading the game to your hard drive to play)?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#7 Post by HikkiPanda »

if you're completely new to this stuff, then I suggest making much much less ambitious project. Maybe a short visual novel with 3 -5 characters. It's already pretty hard if you're a one man army, you need to draw some backgrounds, character's sprites with several different expression, coding, and story.

Don't think about making online games first. It's very complicated, especially during testing phase (different connection speed etc).

A lot of people start their first game with an ambitious project, they get tired and lost their motivation, and eventually abandon the project. So I really suggest you start with something simple first o:

Chronically Adixted

#8 Post by Chronically Adixted »

I have started making my game thanks to all your help i think im getting the hang of it.