Bonuses in VNs/KNs?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Bonuses in VNs/KNs?

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

After a stressful and depressing weekend, I'm back on coding!

I just have some little questions.

Firstly, I have seen games that after the whole game is over (Jisei) or after you finish an ending (Fantasia Trilogy), you unlock a bonus, like an epilogue, some concept art or an interview (Doppelganger demo).

Yeah, maybe interviews works fine on a demo, with the creator's personal character, or a character from another series interviewing the game's set of characters. But my problem is that, I want to make a bonus for a short KN, which is for me, hard to make a bonus thingie with. I don't know what the hell I should place as a bonus, whether an interview, or some concept art and/or the CGs (TCAST), or some epilogue, or maybe some thoughts about the premise before the KN/VN was made (TCAST). Any suggestions?

Second, what could be the possible options aside from those ones I mentioned? I know there are a lot of possibilities for bonuses, but really, I'm not sure.

Third, I know only interviews apply on demos, so what bonuses only applies to demos?

Once again, thanks.
And sorry for ranting last time, I really am depressed and dunno what the hell should I do. I feel a lot better now! x))

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Bonuses in VNs/KNs?

#2 Post by Camille »

I've been toying with the idea of bonuses, too... Of course unlocking CGs/music is pretty much customary.

I thought of, for Machina Jewel, making it so that you can unlock bonus scenes when you progress through the story. Like, scenes where the main character isn't there--such as a character's backstory, some random funny moments, etc. I really liked TCAST's thing with explaining their thought process behind the story and explaining some of the concepts and philosophies and whatnot. (if I'm remembering correctly) I don't think interviews are only for demos. :P It'd be fun to ask people for questions and then have a bonus Q&A answering people's questions.

Some other otome games I've played have bonuses such as:

- Love letters from the love interests to the MC.
- Voicing outtakes or rough draft art.
- Short stories/fiction set in the same universe.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#3 Post by Aleema »

Changing the main menu screen is actually an effectual reward. Portal, KOTOR, and some other AAA games do this and I actually really like it. It's recognition.

For Rapunzel, which is a fairly short KN, the "bonus" for completing it is that the two main characters show up on the main menu, which was previously just a book. It's not much, but it's recognition, so it's a reward of some sort. I know some other games here are doing that: when you complete a char's path, their silhouette fills in or something on the main screen. That's actually pretty cool. And addicting if you have to collect them all. I know I coded a little ending counter for someone to display on the main menu; that also triggers collection and recognition.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Camille wrote:unlocking CGs/music is pretty much customary.
Really? I never realize that. /bricked
Camille wrote:I thought of, for Machina Jewel, making it so that you can unlock bonus scenes when you progress through the story. Like, scenes where the main character isn't there--such as a character's backstory, some random funny moments, etc.
You kinda mean the key points of the story? Because it's almost like a Flash movie (e.g. Animator vs Animation 2) where there are a choice to play the movie from a certain scene until the end. But if you're talking about the story in certain points in a different point of view, well, I'll be liking that xD
Camille wrote:I don't think interviews are only for demos. :P It'd be fun to ask people for questions and then have a bonus Q&A answering people's questions.
What I mean is, interviews are pretty necessary in demos because ... well, to give a little more teaser for the whole game (like in Doppelganger, right? :D).
And yeah, there were characters who were asked questions by the game's followers when it was still a WIP. I see some games do that, but the answers weren't given in-game, instead like on the game creator's dA or blog.
Aleema wrote:Changing the main menu screen is actually an effectual reward. Portal, KOTOR, and some other AAA games do this and I actually really like it. It's recognition.

For Rapunzel, which is a fairly short KN, the "bonus" for completing it is that the two main characters show up on the main menu, which was previously just a book. It's not much, but it's recognition, so it's a reward of some sort. I know some other games here are doing that: when you complete a char's path, their silhouette fills in or something on the main screen. That's actually pretty cool. And addicting if you have to collect them all. I know I coded a little ending counter for someone to display on the main menu; that also triggers collection and recognition.
Ooh, that seems cool! But isn't it a bit hard to code? I believe that it can be done with variables and the like, but I'm not really good with coding :O

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

Hey, it's a bonus for the player, not for you. :P A little hard work may be necessary!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I know, I know! :) I might do a little research about it, then :P

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#7 Post by Sapphi »

I really like the concept art idea, since it's fun to see how character designs change and develop before becoming the official design. And I like hearing about how the author came up with the designs and story, too.

As for my project... Along the lines of an interview "bonus", I was toying with the idea of whether or not I should put 4komas as a bonus (I like to make fun of my characters so even though my story isn't completely written, I have drawn some :lol:).

Would it be weird for a story with kind of a bittersweet ending to have comedic extra material like that? The story itself has comedic moments, but I'm a little nervous about whether or not funny extras would be appropriate after an ending which could potentially make someone cry. I mean, after I watch an anime with a sad ending, I tend to run right over to pixiv to find happy fan art so I'm not entirely crushed, but it seems like including that kind of thing in the actual file would be "too soon"... or am I wrong?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#8 Post by Elenakiara »

I feel like adding an interview, especially for a kinetic novel, would be better. :) It would add a little touch of interaction that many of us here like.

A collection of the CG's and maybe some commentary would be nice. Especially if it might have some symbols or meanings that might have been slightly hidden and that a person can go read when they're done to see if they missed them.
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#9 Post by mugenjohncel »

I suggest you download and take a look at this rather short OELVN [click here, download link also in there in the Link section]... Besides the usual Art, BG-CG and Music Gallery... this particular OELVN had an extra story mode plus Q&A with the creator... this should give you a rather nice idea what to include in your planned bonus section to reward players for sticking till the end...

"POOF" (Disappears)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

Uncle Mugen is corrupting underage schoolgirls O_o

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#11 Post by Camille »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:You kinda mean the key points of the story? Because it's almost like a Flash movie (e.g. Animator vs Animation 2) where there are a choice to play the movie from a certain scene until the end. But if you're talking about the story in certain points in a different point of view, well, I'll be liking that xD
Well some games have scene replays as unlocks (mostly the scenes that go with a CG) but I was talking about different POVs and/or scenes that weren't shown in the story of the game at all. For example, in Machina Jewel, if you get through a certain part of Alonzo's route, you unlock this special story that shows how he became the captain. :0 It's alluded to in the story, but you actually get to see it as a bonus once it's unlocked.

And yeah, what Aleema said--it's a bonus for the player, so you have to put the work/effort in. XD

Oh, I've also seen some games where on the second or third playthrough, you get extra choices in-game and extra scenes. So it encourages people to replay, too. :3

Sapphi wrote:Would it be weird for a story with kind of a bittersweet ending to have comedic extra material like that? The story itself has comedic moments, but I'm a little nervous about whether or not funny extras would be appropriate after an ending which could potentially make someone cry. I mean, after I watch an anime with a sad ending, I tend to run right over to pixiv to find happy fan art so I'm not entirely crushed, but it seems like including that kind of thing in the actual file would be "too soon"... or am I wrong?
I don't think so? I think it might be good to lighten the mood after a sad ending, plus it shows your characters/story in a different perspective or something, haha.

clannadman

#12 Post by clannadman »

You can include pretty much anything I find since anything that doesn't fit into the original game is a bonus, such as music tracks you chose not to use, concept artwork as well as initially important CGs and music. Maybe also any promotional materials or links to them, such as if you created wallpapers, icons, videos or posters. Q & A's are useful to explain any important points that were difficult to understand in the game and can also elaborate on anything that players may not have been aware of such as the universe your story is set in. It may take up time, but one feature some games like to include is being able to switch on a certain 'costume mode' so when you play the game through again, everyone is dressed as a catgirl/alien/clown or anything of that sort. Just a bit of fun so the player doesn't have to feel the game is over and the characters are dead to them now :)
Sapphi wrote:Would it be weird for a story with kind of a bittersweet ending to have comedic extra material like that? The story itself has comedic moments, but I'm a little nervous about whether or not funny extras would be appropriate after an ending which could potentially make someone cry. I mean, after I watch an anime with a sad ending, I tend to run right over to pixiv to find happy fan art so I'm not entirely crushed, but it seems like including that kind of thing in the actual file would be "too soon"... or am I wrong?
I think it can be included and since it's in the bonus section, you can always pass it off as non-canon and simply to entertain the player.