The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

For the rest of your otaku life.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

pytom's sig message got me curious about this anime. I've seen episodes 1-2.

sure it's funny and all that, but I don't get it. What's this all about?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#2 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Doesn't really matter what it's about... Haruhi's already got you... hehehe...

The short version is basically about Kyon having to put up with Haruhi's crazy antics... but there's a lot more to it than that. A lot more.
In fact, that description doesn't even do the show justice...

I definetly suggest watching the other episodes. I honestly believe it's one of the best shows out there right now, and i would recommend this to everyone.

A little suggestion : I would watch the first episode again. There's definetly more going on there. And there's a really really good reason why Kyon makes Haruhi repeat the disclaimer at the end of the film.

Hope you watch it. It's great.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Haruhi has many things going for it. First, it's made by Kyoto Animation, which may be the best studio working right now. The way it plays everyman Kyon off of the out-there(?) Haruhi is great. The supporting cast, as they get added in and Kyon finds out _what_ they claim to be, are also great. And then there's what Haruhi really is...

And there's the dance...

And one of the characters has SQL-based magic...

I really can't explain it well without ruining the ride, but Haruhi is rapidly approching becoming 200 proof awesomeness.

Episodes 3 and 5 (our numbering, not Haruhi's) should begin making it clear that this show has more to it then meets the eye. So does 4, in fact, even if it's an out-of-order episode.

And then there's the novels, at:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... 1_Chapter3

Which reveal things beyond what has been translated so far. (Of course, the series also has things beyond what has been translated in the novel. This rivals Hourglass of Summer for timeline complexity.)

Assuming it doesn't blow the ending, Haruhi stands a very good change of being the best series of this season. And with this being one of the best seasons in the past few years, that's saying something.

(But Utawarerumono is giving it a run for its money.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

I'm very scared. There's so much potential that I'm scared they'll mess it up in the end ^^;... Episode 6 is already a bit on the low side :/

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#5 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I wholeheartedly believe that Suzumiya Haruhi will be the best show this season.

I agree Utawarerumono is definetly a good show with a good story, and will probably have a more profound and lasting emotional impact once it's all over,but its presentation seems a little plain to me. The art is fine, but there's nothing about how it is shown that seems to sparkle.

Suzumiya, on the other hand, really shines on this end. If you need a testament to the staff's command of the technical aspects, just watch the first episode. Not everyone can manage to do a really good job making a really bad movie...

(but yeah, i'm a little nervous about the ending too. As long as they keep up the job they're doing, i'm sure it'll turn out fine... let's just hope they don't follow fate/stay night, which has been nothing but downhill since ep 14)
Last edited by DrakeNavarone on Thu May 11, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

DrakeNavarone wrote:I agree Utawarerumono is defiently a good show with a good story, and will probably have a more profound and lasting emotional impact once it's all over,but its presentation seems a little plain to me. The art is fine, but there's nothing about how it is shown that seems to sparkle.
I think the problem with Utawarerumono is that it started a bit slowly. Well, that's what makes a 26 episode series different then a 14 episode one. With episode 5 u11o is finally coming into its own, with many of the characters introduced, the plot set up, and Mukuru grown up.

(But there are at least 2 characters yet to be introduced. And what's with that visible from space attack at the end of the opening?)
Suzumiya, on the other hand, really shines on this end. If you need a testament to the staff's command of the technical aspects, just watch the first episode. Not everyone can manage to do a really good job making a really bad movie...
In the past couple of years, Kyoto Animation has really grown as a company. Compare their work of even a few years ago (FMP:Fumoffu) with some of their modern stuff, like FMP:TSR (especially the trailer, the series was only so-so since it wasn't my favorite part of the original novels), Air, Haruhi, and the Kanon preview.

Even Munto was technically brilliant, if a bit wanting in the plot department. Kyoani seems to be at their best when adapting an existing story.
(but yeah, i'm a little nervous about the ending too. As long as they keep up the job they're doing, i'm sure it'll turn out fine... let's just hope they don't follow fate/stay night, which has been nothing but downhill since ep 14)
If they're smart, the last episode will end at the end of the first novel (and perhaps the Prologue to the second.) That would be a fairly satisfying conclusion, although I would love for there to be another season or two of Haruhi.

So far, there have been 3 episodes taken from the first book, covering 4 chapters of that book. If I had to guess, there will be 6 episodes taken from the first novel, easily enough to finish it, and fitting properly with Haruhi's episode numbering scheme. That leaves 7 episodes of "filler" taken from later books. Filler-wise, there is:

- Asahina Mikuru's Adventure (Ep 1/?)
- The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi (Ep 4/7)
- Remote Island Syndrome (Part I) (Ep 6/9)

Next week's is:

- Mysteric Sign (Ep 7/8 )

I think it's pretty safe to assume they'll be

- Remote Island Syndrome (Part II) (Ep ?/10)

So that means there needs to be two more episodes of filler. There's plenty of material to choose from. I'd guess they'll probably do "Bamboo Leaf Rhaposody", which is the only remaining chapter of Volume 3... and they could take another short story from Volume 6, or somewhere else.

But if they do the smart thing and make the ending of book one (or the prologue of book two, as a coda) the end of the series, we have nothing to worry about ending-wise.

Once you make the (insane, in lesser hands) decision to tell the series out of order, the ending plans itself.
Last edited by PyTom on Fri May 12, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

Oh no! Someone brought up Haruhi around PyTom! Sound the alarms!!! *red alert* :shock:

I think it is his new religion ^_^

It's amazing how much there is about the dance out there... Instructions and parodies, both. Personally, though, I don't see it catching on in the nightclubs :wink:

denzil
Veteran

#8 Post by denzil »

Blue Lemma wrote: *red alert*
Kryten: wrote: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
His new religion? You think he will start numbering Ren'Py in Haruhi style? :D

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#9 Post by Vatina »

I've heard a lot of good things about this anime, but couldn't get myself around to watch it yet.
I didn't know Kyoto-animation was doing it? Than I HAVE to see it xD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

Random Haruhi trivia:

Go to http://www.haruhi.tv/activitylog1-3.html , and hit ctrl-A to select all text on the screen. You'll see that the episode guide has hidden text that will eventually link to all 15,498 planned episodes of Haruhi.

Hat tip: Anime News Network's Encyclopedia.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

haruhi-ism or something like that eh? Getting eps 3-5 now, well see. so far... it's wierd and I like it.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

How can this have such a strong following already, when it hasn't even finished airing in Japan?
... ...
*dowloads torrent for episode 1 and begins downloading*

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#13 Post by F.I.A »

Haruhi is nothing but randomsity. Though, since I am rather bored with clichy stuff, perhaps a once in a while randomsity will keep me interested. At least till Kanon hits at fall.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

... interesting... What's the deal with the obsession with the dance?

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#15 Post by F.I.A »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:... interesting... What's the deal with the obsession with the dance?
My only bet is that it is rather crazily animated just for such minor thing.

Let's hope it does not end up crashing like a successful aeroplane like most random anime.