The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

For the rest of your otaku life.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#16 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe I think mitsuki kouyama or mikan sakura's dances were better

I have a feeling someone's gonna come out and say something in defense of the randomness thingy.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by monele »

I like the dance because of how well it is animated (and how silly it is :3)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#18 Post by DrakeNavarone »

It's really about getting to see the cast dance... There's something magical about getting to see them all dance, especially Yuki and Kyon even more so, since they would be the last people you would expect to see dancing...

but that's just my take on it...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

PyTom wrote:I think the problem with Utawarerumono is that it started a bit slowly
Actually, I found the beginning to be very charming and sweet. But when the rebellion starts and everyone starts killing mercilessly, it loses a lot of that tenderness. I kinda wish they could've continued with the "slowness" of the first few episodes... Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see how things turn out
(I'm beginning to think that maybe watching fansubs before they all come out is a bad idea- I can't stand waiting! >_< )

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#20 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I'm gonna post it here, since it's related, and i really didn't feel like making a new topic...

I've noticed (as I am sure other forum members have) that PyTom's avatar flashes really fast. All I could really see was a little purple and some green, but i think i can make an educated guess... given all of the Suzumiya Haruhi quotes in your signature, I'm guessing your avatar is flashing the SOS-Brigade logo, right PyTom? (or is it the ZOZ-Brigade logo from Mysterique Sign??? Speaking of Mysterique Sign, maybe you shouldn't be flashing the logo all over the forum... You saw what kind of damage it can do...)
The Compendium of Drake:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by monele »

Koizumi confirms that it's the original Haruhi design :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

DrakeNavarone wrote: Speaking of Mysterique Sign, maybe you shouldn't be flashing the logo all over the forum... You saw what kind of damage it can do...)
Isn't that the point, really?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#23 Post by DrakeNavarone »

PyTom wrote:Isn't that the point, really?
I guess I can't argue with that, but if a giant cave cricket shows up at my door, I'll know who to blame...
The Compendium of Drake:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I only thought I saw it flash once, and would have attributed it to my mind playing tricks on me. But when others mentioned it, I felt the need to find out... Of course, PyTom's avatar is an animated gif file, with this image inbetween the normal images
Attachments
avatar.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by monele »

I hope you realize what kind of doom you are adding above PyTom's :/... We were already in great danger... now... well... given the silly logic of Haruhi, we might actually be safe ô_o... (can these cancel each other out ?...)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

monele wrote:I hope you realize what kind of doom you are adding above PyTom's :/... We were already in great danger... now... well... given the silly logic of Haruhi, we might actually be safe ô_o... (can these cancel each other out ?...)
"So when I wasn't paying attention, the forum was turned into a den of evil, huh?"

"I believe it to be harmless."
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#27 Post by Watercolorheart »

Ok, I'm hooked. Where do I go to get an episode?

DrakeNavarone
Veteran

#28 Post by DrakeNavarone »

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/786.html

Don't let the first episode throw you off... The show really starts with episodes 2 and 3.
The Compendium of Drake:

Cazel
Regular

#29 Post by Cazel »

Bah, the first episode was what hooked me onto the show. I had read a simple description of the show (which in no way did the show justice) so at first the first episode threw me off, but by the end I loved it. Kyon's narration alone makes the episode my current favorite, and as PyTom pointed out, the first episode becomes even funnier when you understand more of the show's plot.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#30 Post by mikey »

Alright, you've gotten me as well!!! I downloaded the episodes *only* because there's such a buzz going on about this...

Let's get this over with - the dance... what's so special about it? If everyone wouldn't be talking about it, I'd never notice it...

Alright then, the story... it's hard to judge just now, too bad for me it's conveyed through the gakuen setting, I have to look at schoolgirls all the time... plus battling giant monsters with fireballs... just what makes me leave the room. Even the mystery episode had the kiddie-logic of the later parodied Phoenix Wright. The false "truth" was really very weakly done, especially the killing part. I could go on... world destruction fears (yawn), girls with bouncy body parts, ESP...

The worst though, is Kyon's narrative. Actually, I could look over everything, because I can filter out the esper nonsense and whatever else the insane scriptwiters throw at me - it's Japanese, so there's seemingly a chaos, even though that's just layers that you need to mentally separate. And that's fine, I did it with with lots of series. With Suzumiya, despite what I said, I am looking forward to each new episode from now, because I think the "philosophical" idea isn't bad at all, all the theories and such, very interesting - as well as the timelines and so.

However, Kyon's narraative just... it's not fitting. It's like an adult speaking through a teenager, it's not at all natural and since I'm extremely sensitive to such things, it ruins a lot for me.

Nevertheless, I'm really glad I got into this Suzumiya craze, it's been a while since I was up-to-date with anime, so I'm really enjoying it. :P