Concept Art - Firebird

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Concept Art - Firebird

#1 Post by OokamiKasumi »

I had originally intended to make a game from the Russian fairy tale, The Firebird. Unfortunately someone beat me to it.

This is some of the concept art.

For full-sized image, go here --> http://www.yaoi.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_ ... alNumber=1

For full-sized image, go here --> http://www.yaoi.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_ ... alNumber=1

Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Fawn
Moe Imouto

Re: Concept Art - Firebird

#2 Post by Fawn »

I've always admired your photo editing skills :) Just lovely. Sorry someone beat you to it!!

hmm you may want to use harder-edged bevels for frames though. Fuzzy is a no-no, though they may look nice that way if you make them into lower opacity layers with the color burn or any other similar effect. Also to make the text pop, make it sharper as well, bold it if you can and make an outline/outer glow to catch the attention of the viewer :D I hope that helped! Still love love your work~

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Someone beat them to it as well - The Last Express was a commercial PC game released in 1997 that featured prominent use of the Russian Firebird fairytale.

"There is no new thing under the sun". Someone has ALWAYS beat you to it. Even for "original" ideas. Do what you want, put your own spin on it, and if it comes from a public domain source, don't give another thought to it.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Fawn wrote:I've always admired your photo editing skills :) Just lovely.
Thank you so much!
Fawn wrote:Sorry someone beat you to it!!
I could just wait a year and then do it? This way I don't step on the other creator's toes...too much. Or I could just pick another faery tale.
Fawn wrote:hmm you may want to use harder-edged bevels for frames though. Fuzzy is a no-no, though they may look nice that way if you make them into lower opacity layers with the color burn or any other similar effect. Also to make the text pop, make it sharper as well, bold it if you can and make an outline/outer glow to catch the attention of the viewer :D I hope that helped!
LOL! Those frames are just decorations to dress up the picture. (It looked kind of plain all by itself.) In a game, I only use frames around the text boxes. Though, I could start using frames around the backgrounds too...? Hmm...
Fawn wrote:Still love love your work~
Thank you!
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Someone beat them to it as well - The Last Express was a commercial PC game released in 1997 that featured prominent use of the Russian Firebird fairytale.
Oh? I had no idea...! I'm not as familiar with all the games that are out as I should be, I guess.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:"There is no new thing under the sun". Someone has ALWAYS beat you to it. Even for "original" ideas.
You have a point there.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Do what you want, put your own spin on it, and if it comes from a public domain source, don't give another thought to it.
I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Artists (and game-makers) are a rather ... excitable bunch.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Do what you want, put your own spin on it, and if it comes from a public domain source, don't give another thought to it.
I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Artists (and game-makers) are a rather ... excitable bunch.
You will not be hurting anyone's feelings or stepping on anyone's toes by making a game based on the same source material, believe me. CF: Dragonball Z and Saiyuki.

Your take on it is going to be unique enough that you should proceed with this anyway. I, for one, would be very interested in seeing your interpretation.
Last edited by Tsundere Lightning on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:You will not be hurting anyone's feelings or stepping on anyone's toes by making a game based on the same source material, believe me. CF: Dragonball Z and Saiyuki.
Japan doesn't have the aggressive copyright rules the US does.
Tsundere Lightning wrote:Your take on it is going to be unique enough that you should proceed with this anyway.

LOL! In that case, perhaps you're right. I'll just have to make sure it's very different from the previous game.
Tsundere Lightning wrote:I, for one, would be very interested in seeing your interpretation.
Thank you!

psy_wombats
Regular

#8 Post by psy_wombats »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Japan doesn't have the aggressive copyright rules the US does.
Well, you'd be basing the game on the Firebird legend/myth/story itself, right, not the existing game? No one can copyright a folktale. Take your inspiration where you can get it

(and the art's pretty neat, by the way. Never seen that style before)
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by OokamiKasumi »

psy_wombats wrote:Well, you'd be basing the game on the Firebird legend/myth/story itself, right, not the existing game? No one can copyright a folktale. Take your inspiration where you can get it.
Very good point, and there are a couple of versions of the folktale. Maybe I should do a bit of a mix to make it a bit more unique? This is in addition to my own twist. (I can't leave any story well enough alone.)
psy_wombats wrote:and the art's pretty neat, by the way. Never seen that style before.
Thank you! It's the art style I used in my most recent game, FaeryTale. (The link is in my sig.)

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

psy_wombats wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:Japan doesn't have the aggressive copyright rules the US does.
Well, you'd be basing the game on the Firebird legend/myth/story itself, right, not the existing game? No one can copyright a folktale. Take your inspiration where you can get it.
Pretty much this. Dragonball Z and Saiyuki are actually a very good example: the Journey to the West is so old and traditional a Chinese story that it's pretty much public domain. And again, DBZ and Saiyuki are VERY different takes on the story of Son Goku.
OokamiKasumi wrote:(and the art's pretty neat, by the way. Never seen that style before)
Yes, it's a very striking style. Reminds me of Art Deco.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by 15385bic »

really love the art for this
semi realistic XD

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tsundere Lightning wrote: ...the Journey to the West is so old and traditional a Chinese story that it's pretty much public domain ... DBZ and Saiyuki are VERY different takes on the story of Son Goku.
Damn, that is very true -- and I completely missed it.
Tsundere Lightning wrote:Yes, it's a very striking style. Reminds me of Art Deco.
Damn... I was trying for Art Nouveau, like Alphonse Mucha. Not enough plants and flowers, I guess.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Damn... I was trying for Art Nouveau, like Alphonse Mucha. Not enough plants and flowers, I guess.

Art Nouveau is a subset of Art Deco, I believe, but yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking of.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tsundere Lightning wrote: Art Nouveau is a subset of Art Deco, I believe, but yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking of.
I can see how one might mistake Art Deco for Art Nouveau, they are both highly decorative styles, but Art Nouveau and Art Deco are actually two very different art forms.

To begin with, Art Nouveau came first with Alphonse Mucha in 1895, before the turn of the century and is naturalistic and curving in style.

Art Deco didn't come about until well after the turn of the century in the 1920s and is angular in style and based on mathematical geometric shapes. It's not naturalistic by any stretch of the imagination.

Definitions aside, I'm glad that we were actually thinking along the same lines.