ALICE 1.0 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Cazel
Regular

#16 Post by Cazel »

Looks good. Though I'm guessing the file menu is normally in English, so I probably need to find out what foreign language settings on my comp are screwing that up. :?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

Eclipse >> Sure. I'm kinda hoping people will distribute azip files separately, so I don't need to keep including data in the ALICE zip file. (And so I have to do less work to maintain ALICE, a program which I find less interesting then Ren'Py.)

I think we also need to resolve what license the various images are under. I suggest one of the Creative Commons licenses, although some of the more infectious ones could be problematic if they can apply to an entire game, rather than a single image.

Lemma >> KISS was certainly an inspiration, moreso classic KISS then any of the later interactive variants. Notable is that the numeric layer ordering is taken right from KISS, albeit I made it floating-point rather than integer. ALICE has some major differences, though: hiding is done under user control, there is more control over scaling and cropping, and there will (if interest persists, as defined by more dolls being made) be the ability to recolor things, as opposed to picking one of a number of fixed palettes.

Ren

#18 Post by Ren »

XD The menus where in Japanese at first for me(because i had the non unicode programs in that language to play some demos)

although some of the more infectious ones could be problematic if they can apply to an entire game, rather than a single image.
I'm sorry, i didn't quite understand what you mean>_>;;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#19 Post by PyTom »

What I mean is that if a work is licensed under a Creative Commons sharealike license, it means that the entire game would need to be covered by the same license, which would be a bit harsh, as it dictates the license to the entire game, rather than just the one image.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

I would suggest as a preferred license for images the Creative Commons Attribution license, which simply requires that people attribute your images to you.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/

Alternatively, there's the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license, which prevents people from putting your work into games that they then sell. (It would also prevent commercial distribution of your game, and perhaps would prevent me from bundling a game made using your images onto a Ren'Ai Archives CD. So I don't recommend this at all.)

CC-Attribution-Sharealike is probably too viral, and modification is required for an image to be used with ALICE, so licenses that do not allow that are right out.

Finally, there's Public Domain, which isn't a license but is where you can place your images if you don't want any credit (or blame) for them.

I personally think the Creative Commons Attribution license is the way to go, and if I was hosting an archive of ALICE dolls I would probably mandate that every doll was either CC-Attribution or Public Domain.

I may add attribution tracking to the next version of ALICE.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by monele »

Very promising so far and I haven't had any problem launching it. It just seems my system is missing the default font... weird ^^;.
As it is right now, recoloring seems like it would give the most freedom to the user : only a few haircuts would become hundred of possibilities. More so if they're separated as with the betty doll :)

A Random Passerby

#21 Post by A Random Passerby »

-pokes head in-

I downloaded ALICE, and it gave me an error message about not having "libglib-2.0-0.dll"...where may I find this DLL file?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#22 Post by PyTom »

glib is part of gtk+.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

A Random Passerby

#23 Post by A Random Passerby »

PyTom wrote:glib is part of gtk+.
I installed that, but it still said it wasmissing... :?

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

#24 Post by Dis »

Have you tried putting Alice into the GTK directory?
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai

A Random Passerby

#25 Post by A Random Passerby »

Dis wrote:Have you tried putting Alice into the GTK directory?
No...

But I discovered what was wrong - I didn't install the whole thing - only what was required. ^^;

Thanks for all the help anyway! ^^

[If I finally stop getting lazy, I'll register and make some ALICE stuff...]

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

That would be great- I don't think we've had any contributions to ALICE for quite a while

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#27 Post by rioka »

Yes, more contributons would be fantastic! Btw, Junichi - what happened to the ones you were working on? :?

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Did people actually like those? Maybe I should stop being so critical of myself...
I guess I just never really finished. And I didn't know exactly how to distribute what I had, since I didn't have my own base.
I still have the files somewhere, I'm pretty sure...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#29 Post by Watercolorheart »

Um, I posted some templates earlier on this board. Somewhere.

Freya

#30 Post by Freya »

I'm confused on how to edit the images. I tried opening the files in photoshop CS2, but it says it's not supported.