Hakuouki PSP confirmed for localization

For the rest of your otaku life.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Hakuouki PSP confirmed for localization

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

After Idea Factory's 2008 otome game surveys, and after Aksys Games' 2010 surveys, we finally have one reverse harem game confirmed for translation. Aksys will be translating the PSP version of Hakuouki. It will be released on UMDs (presumably region-free), as well as on PSN. The original dialogue will be retained and subtitled, and there will be an option for dubbed dialogue.

What do you think? Will more than a few already-dedicated fans buy a VN which is loosely based on Japanese history? Do you believe the PSP is still a viable format? Should Aksys have chosen a game with complex gameplay?

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Hakuouki PSP confirmed for localization

#2 Post by teacup »

I heard about this earlier today. It's quite good news, I'm sure many people will be excited about this! Although I wish they'd chosen a VN other than Hakouki ( the art is gorgeous but the actual game is so-so ) , it's great that they're actually going through with it. Hopefully it will sell well so more VNs can be professionally translated!
I'll buy it just to support, since I have a PSP lying around somewhere. Though I think its strange they chose to localize PSP version instead of DS version... (PSP is pretty much dead.. DS is still alive and kicking)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

off-topic: Both systems are at the end of their lifespans. The DS moreso than the PSP with only casual third-party titles scheduled for release this year. Meanwhile, there is still at least one more FF spin-off title still to come for the PSP, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and the rest of the newly localized Legend of Heroes games.

It's worth noting that the PSP successor still hasn't hit the market while the 3DS is already out there and is pretty much the final nail on the DS coffin. Of course, both systems have pretty much outlived their useful lifetimes IMHO.

edit: which means it's the perfect time to get both systems as well as the games for them real cheap :D
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

teacup wrote:I'll buy it just to support, since I have a PSP lying around somewhere. Though I think its strange they chose to localize PSP version instead of DS version... (PSP is pretty much dead.. DS is still alive and kicking)
Isn't it the other way around? DS is the one that's dead and PSP is still alive and kicking. Nintendo already launched DS successor so it's pretty much left behind by all developers too (and I don't think there's no more new DS game that will be launched). PSP Vita will be launched next year (or at least late this year) and there's still several game planned for PSP.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#5 Post by teacup »

Well, I'm sure you guys are right, you all know more than me! (Probably my personal bias for my DS that made me say that, haha)
Back on topic now!

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#6 Post by Camille »

I'm excited about this because I love Hakuouki, but of all the games they could've picked, I feel like this one will appeal least to western audiences. D: (they should've picked a game that wasn't pure VN, I think) Well, I also heard another company picked up Starry Sky, so at least there's that. Of course I've already spent hundreds on that franchise so I don't know if I'm keen on buying all the games all over again. I've played Hakuouki so many times by this point that I'm not sure if I'd want to buy the English version of it, either. XD; But if I want to see other otome games in the west, I'd better support them. I'm glad that these games finally get a chance in the western market.

Edit; They should've localized the PS3 version of Hakuouki. ):

otomegirl24
Regular
Projects: Kiss & Tell [WIP]

#7 Post by otomegirl24 »

I've heard of Hakuoki, but I've never played it before or know much about it. But I'm really happy to hear an otome game is finally being localized in the U.S...not counting Yo-Jin-Bo. I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out next year. Guess I'll still have a use for my PSP. ^.^

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lepapillonrouge »

They're trying at least. |D

I asked the guy at the Aksys booth, and he said it's coming out next year...um, hopefully the PSP isn't too dead by then.
Hopefully PSP prices will go down and I'll buy it and play...I guess.

I'd just buy it because I would want more otome to come here \D
deviantART
---------------------

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#9 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Off-topic
Aww man. Why did I buy a DS? >=[

The PSP has been hanging around for a while. Unlike those who believe the PSP is out-living its stay, I believe it just started to make wee progress to its climax. (Or maybe it's just me who is missing out on all the PSP action?) After that, it'll be in the "in-zone" for a while until it's bye-bye like everything else. In the next few years, they're coming out with some great stuff. I'm hoping for little to no disappointment. I do wish, though, that they could make it for PS3 instead. We could see the graphics better <.<

On-topic
I must agree with a lot of people here. Out of all the games...Hakuouki? Really? The art is gorgeous and I'm a fan of the artist, but the story is dull and not very refreshing.

Well...at least it's one step forward to otome games in English! Think positive! =]

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#10 Post by Camille »

Akysys is doing a survey about what fans would like to see in the Limited Edition version of Hakuouki: http://www.aksysgames.com/survey/index. ... 24&lang=en It's really cute, haha. XD Tsundere Hijikata...

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#11 Post by ebi brain »

I wish it'd come out for PS3.
But I'll probably buy it anyway :)

The survey was really cute haha. I put 'swords' just to be sure ^_-
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I hope this wont bring doom to Hakuouki series! Especially since they say that localizations usually bring destruction to companies and such, reason to many game companies not localizing their stuff. Q.Q I dont meant to light fire on your otome heart people, but i think it would be better than fans translating it, since it would produce even more piracy stuff.

out-of-topic:

When i played PoT dokidoki survival, there was a notice about please stop piracy at the very opening. I guess Konami has dilemmas on piracy much lately to even go as far as putting up a notice in their games.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#13 Post by ebi brain »

( why do localizations bring destruction to game companies? Maybe I'm really dumb, but...I don't understand).
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OtomeWeekend »

ebi brain wrote:( why do localizations bring destruction to game companies? Maybe I'm really dumb, but...I don't understand).
Well, you better research bout Yo-jin-bo. An otome game that killed its company after being localized to english. You won't find it anywhere anymore cause the company went down after being bankrupted(?) due to wide piracy in the net. Wait, oh, almost forgot. You can still buy/download it in hanako games. but that's it. :/ I don't want otomate or Aksys ending up to this. I'll die.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

dollssoulkirie

#15 Post by dollssoulkirie »

Some updated info for everyone about Hakuoki.

Aksys Games has now released info on the shipping dates and the prices for the standard & limited editions. They're currently on Amazon for pre-order. The date's Feb. 14, 2012 and the prices are $29.99 for the standard, $39.99 for the limited edition. And there's no information on what goodies will be in the limited edition yet.

Also, as special promos for each month, Aksys is doing a "Man of the Month" entry to introduce the men of Hakuoki. They're somewhat modernized, to try and grab the attention of people (besides the current fanbase), that way the otome games can somewhat sell decently to push the line for more games in the future. The first entry was Heisuke, the next one will be up on the 14th. Tho, I don't know who it is yet. D: I'll edit this entry and share the pic, I guess. Since I'm rarely doing anything (tho there's a lot that I want to get done).