Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - updated JULY 11, 2012

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JULY 2nd, '11

#121 Post by babyfish »

Thanks for the input guys! I've taken everyone's suggestions into consideration. At this point, I'll have to create the actual graphics inside the box to see how it'll look like before I finalize the layout. Still deciding between chibi or simplified drawings or even sprites to depict the work scenes.

@Arcanum - I do see your reasoning there, and as such I might end up changing that so that there are no decreases as a result. That said, at this point, the decreases only happen if you mess up horribly, which should only happen if you don't watch your stress level. I was hoping that the skill decrease would act as an incentive for people to engage in stress-decreasing activities, but if its too much trouble, then I'll remove it. :) Again, I'll set up a demo for gameplay testing once that aspect is done. :)

I'll eventually be compiling a list of all the testers/proofreaders that have volunteered so far. If you want to join in on the fun, feel free to let me know!
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

phantomphan31

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JULY 2nd, '11

#122 Post by phantomphan31 »

AHHHH!I love the artwork! I cant wait for this game to come out!! I'll be a tester!
I support
ImageImageImage

LadyAvori
Regular

#123 Post by LadyAvori »

I think decreases in the stats for not de-stressing our heroine is actually a good idea. Otherwise why bother de-stressing? Unless you're going after a specific guy who spends most of his time just chillin around. Perhaps you can make the de-stressing activities across the board with the obtainables, example: drink tea with Edward and/or read sappy romance novels with Katya, instead of only interacting with them in a work setting (not sure if you were already doing that or not). Also if you're going after Edward you don't have to worry about "oh no if I relax today I won't see Edward which will ruin my ending!"

Anyway, I like penalties like decreases in stats, less money for the work, or having to work longer (taking away your free time) so a games isn't easy breezy pick your guy and no matter what you do you get him!

babyfish
Veteran

#124 Post by babyfish »

@Lady Avori - That was sort of my rationale for including stat decreases. So far, messing up badly, and I mean BADLY is the only way to get stat decreases, and this should typically only happen if your stress is obscenely high.

Just to show everyone what I mean, here are the degrees of success and the rewards/punishments that come with them:

Perfect: Basically, you did a pretty amazing job, and outshone everyone else in your department. You'll get an increase in stats, work rating, maybe reputation, and of course your relationship with your co-worker will increase. Grade 'S'.

Good: Did an above-standard job, or made no mistakes. Stats, work rating, and relationship will increase, but not as much as perfect, obviously. Grade 'A'

Average: You did your job, but no higher than the standard. Basically, 'acceptable work' Work rating and relationship will go up slightly. Stats will change very slightly. Grade 'B'

Bad: You made some noticeable mistakes that reduced the quality of your work. Work rating and relationship will go down slightly, no change to stats. Grade 'C'

Worst:
Essentially, you messed up and your work performance suffers as a result, causing people to doubt whether you are still up to the task. Work rating, relationship, and stats go down. Maybe reputation too, but that might be too punishing. Grade 'F'

( Note: Edward and Katya, being your regular co-workers, will only have small relationship increases when you do regular work. Increases will be larger when you do overtime with them, the rationale being that they recognize that you're giving up your break to help them. )

Again, only after a number of gameplay tests will everything be finalized.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#125 Post by ririruetoo »

I'll eventually be compiling a list of all the testers/proofreaders that have volunteered so far. If you want to join in on the fun, feel free to let me know!

(WAVES MAID OF MIDSUMMER BANNER IN THE AIR)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~! I hope I'm on the list!!! XD
ImageImageImage

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#126 Post by Snowflower »

beautiful. If you need any proofreaders and/or beta testers, I'm your girl :)
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#127 Post by Hayzel »

I cannot wait to play this <3 Will there be a demo <3?

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#128 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yay! I will be still applying XD

I wonder if work influences other people besides co-workers ;)

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#129 Post by Snow Blossom »

Can I be a proofreader pleaze? :D

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#130 Post by sayuri »

Good, as long as the outcome isn't mostly random, I'm happy. As much as I enjoyed Remember Me, that drove me a tiny bit nuts. :D

babyfish
Veteran

#131 Post by babyfish »

First off, everyone who volunteered for proofreading or testing in this thread so far will be listed. :) Thanks bunches for all your help!

@ Hayzel: I can't say when just yet, but there will definitely be a demo. :)

@azureXtwilight: Your boss, Seth, will be keeping tabs on how well you work. Other people may praise you occasionally if you do an exceptional job. :)

@ sayuri: Part of your success rate is left to chance, but I will say that much of it is mostly weighted on how stressed you are. If you are in a perfect mood, success is virtually guaranteed. If you are overworked, you'll be failing more often than usual. Perhaps I can make it so that skills be a modifier for success.

You can also choose to work hard or shirk. Working hard will increase stress, but make it easier to gain bonuses. Shirking will reduce the amount of stress you get from working, but makes it harder to gain bonuses. But then again, less stress during regular work means better success during overtime, which also pays out!
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

babyfish
Veteran

#132 Post by babyfish »

The list of all the beta-testers and proof-readers who have signed up so far have been added to the top of the first post of this thread! Thanks to everyone who signed up! If I missed your name or if you want to join in, please inform me ASAP! In the meantime, stay tuned for the demo, which is still a ways away, but being worked on!

Also, I finished a background today. Now who do you suppose this lovely office belongs to...?

I'm pretty slow at doing backgrounds, mainly cause I'm still learning. But as long as I focus, I can finish, and turn up a good result. Still, all those books were killing me there... I need to find a way to do this faster. XD

Have a nice one, everybody~!
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JULY 13th, '11

#133 Post by sayuri »

Seth.

Oh wait, was that a rhetoric question? I'm bad at figuring things like that out. Lol.

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#134 Post by RemnantDream »

It's so pretty *~* You're doing an amazing job.

One question. When you described the characters on the first page, you listed their blood type. Does the blood type affect anything? :o

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#135 Post by modesty »

@RemnantDream: I believe in some cultures, Blood type is closely linked with a person's personality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type ... se_culture

(on topic)
Gorgeous artwork! And it looks like you're getting lots of well deserved support. I look forward to a demo and/or release. :D