My saves aren't loading properly

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

My saves aren't loading properly

#1 Post by teacup »

Well, this only happened once I download renpy 6.12 (I'm a little behind, I just got it yesterday ^^;)
I lost all of my saves when I updated. So I went through the whole game, and saved at all of the menus and decision points so I could easily go back to them for testing purposes. But for some reason, when I load them, it takes me to a completely random place, that isn't the spot I saved? D:
It isn't a huge bother for me, but I'm a bit worried that this may happen to players when I release the game. Anyone know why this is happening?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: My saves aren't loading properly

#2 Post by Alex »

So I went through the whole game, and saved at all of the menus and decision points so I could easily go back to them for testing purposes.
Bad idea - if you'll change your code this won't affect to your saves (they'll still be using old code).
If you make changes in code - should start to play from very begining (you could place a jump to testing part of code in start label, but be shure, that all neccesary variables are set).

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#3 Post by teacup »

Alex wrote:
So I went through the whole game, and saved at all of the menus and decision points so I could easily go back to them for testing purposes.
Bad idea - if you'll change your code this won't affect to your saves (they'll still be using old code).
If you make changes in code - should start to play from very begining (you could place a jump to testing part of code in start label, but be shure, that all neccesary variables are set).
I know that. I found that out from experience :p I just prefer to have saves at all of my menus, so that I can easily go to a specific point in the game. (Starting from the beginning every time would be really tiring.) But I will be sure to play the game from the beginning before releasing it.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

You can do a developer skip (SHIFT+>) to get to each menu. :)
Or make a developer menu after start that lists all the locations you want to jump to. That's what I do.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#5 Post by teacup »

Oh, that would be a lot more helpful! I hadn't even thought of that ^^;
But do you have any idea why the saves aren't loading right? Like I said, I don't want this to negatively impact the gameplay for other people (not so much me)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aleema »

It is definitely because you're changing your code. I'm assuming the time between saving and loading the faulty saves, there were some alterations to the code (I believe, just guessing here, that they save as "script.rpy:line 400" so if you change what line 400 is, so does your save? maybe). If not, try to physically delete the save files, all the RPYC (not RPY!!) files, clearing persistent, and try again. If it keeps doing that, you may have a bug and should report it to PyTom.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#7 Post by teacup »

Well, the saves worked perfectly fine until I updated to 6.12, and I hadn't changed the code at all since then. And the fact that I have 3 pages of different saves and all of them not work... I don't think its because of code changes (which I hadn't made anyway) T_T; I'll try deleted the save files and hope that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aleema »

I consider upgrading Ren'Py a code change. There are some significant differences in 6.12, and upgrading in the middle of a game always has some weird side effect. You're lucky that yours is so fixable! :)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#9 Post by teacup »

Aleema wrote:I consider upgrading Ren'Py a code change. There are some significant differences in 6.12, and upgrading in the middle of a game always has some weird side effect. You're lucky that yours is so fixable! :)
Ohh, I didn't know that was considered to be a code change (although it's obvious now XD) It seems to be working okay now that I deleted the persistent and saves.. Thank you Aleema! :D