Multiple versions of hover

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
clannadman

Multiple versions of hover

#1 Post by clannadman »

Basically what I'm trying to do is have different versions of the hover screen so that when you hover over a certain hotspot link, the background changes to an image that represents that choice. I want to try this on my Bonus menu which I am creating in screens and is so far using the standard code:

Code: Select all

screen bonus:

# This ensures that any other menu screen is replaced.
    tag menu

# The background of the main menu.

imagemap:
        hover "bonus_hover.png"
        idle "bonus_idle.png"
        ground "bonus_ground.png"

hotspot (417, 247, 126, 22) action ShowMenu ("thoughts")
        hotspot (420, 282, 122, 25) action ShowMenu ("gallery")
        hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action ShowMenu ("music_room")
        hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action ShowMenu ("culture")
        hotspot (452, 354, 55, 29) action Return ()
Is it possible to have a different hover image for 'thoughts' and for 'gallery' etc.?

Here are some image examples of what I mean:
example1.png
example2.png

bink
Regular

Re: Multiple versions of hover

#2 Post by bink »

You can assign a function to the hotspot that is called when you hover over it and have that function change the background image.
Make the function change a variable and make the background image a dynamic displayable that changes depending on that variable.
Something like this: (WARNING: I can't test this right now. There might be some syntax errors in it.)

python:

bonus_background_image = some_previously_defined_image # make this your standard image

def bonus_background(st, at):
        return (bonus_background_image, .1) # returns the currently defined background image and refreshes in .1 seconds

def _set_bonus_background(image): 
        bonus_background_image = image # sets the background image variable

set_bonus_background = renpy.curry(_set_bonus_background)

image bonus_bg = DynamicDisplayable(bonus_background) # defines the dynamic displayable

screen bonus:
    tag menu
    imagemap:
        hover bonus_bg # use the same one here, anything else wouldnt make sense
        idle bonus_bg
        ground bonus_bg

hotspot (417, 247, 126, 22) action ShowMenu ("thoughts") hovered set_bonus_background(displayable_goes_here) # give itt a displayable as parameter

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Showsni »

You mean, a different ground image, right?

Anyway, yes, it's possible; I'd do it like this, using Tooltips:

screen bonus:
        default groundpic = Tooltip("bonus_ground.png") 

imagemap:

hover "bonus_hover.png"
            idle "bonus_idle.png"
            ground groundpic.value

hotspot (417, 247, 126, 22) action Return ("thoughts") hovered groundpic.action("thoughtpic.png")
            hotspot (420, 282, 122, 25) action Return ("gallery") hovered groundpic.action("gallerypic.png")
            hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action Return ("music_room") hovered groundpic.action("musicpic.png")
            hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action Return ("culture") hovered groundpic.action("culturepic.png")
Using whatever your picturesa re called, naturally.
Of course, you can change the other default images in the same way.

clannadman

#4 Post by clannadman »

@Showsni - your method doesn't seem to have worked. I just get a transparent background showing and no content at all. Help?

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Showsni »

Hm, well, it works when I tested it (using different image names). Though, the code I posted just returns the value of what was clicked on rather than showing a menu. Could you post the code you used? Are you using the latest Ren'Py?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Alex »

Try

screen bonus:

tag menu

imagemap:
        hover hover_var
        idle idle_var
        ground ground_var

hotspot (417, 247, 126, 22) action ShowMenu ("thoughts") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "thoughts_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "thoughts_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "thoughts_ground.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")] 
        hotspot (420, 282, 122, 25) action ShowMenu ("gallery") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "gallery_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "gallery_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "gallery_ground.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")] 
        hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action ShowMenu ("music_room")
        hotspot (444, 317, 66, 29) action ShowMenu ("culture")

init:
    $ hover_var = "bonus_hover.png"
    $ idle_var = "bonus_idle.png"
    $ ground_var = "bonus_ground.png"

clannadman

#7 Post by clannadman »

@Alex - That seems to work although I'm experiencing some issues with hotspots right now. Can anyone help me understand why things are buggering up like this?

screen bonus:

tag menu

imagemap:
        hover hover_var
        idle idle_var
        ground ground_var

hotspot (103, 320, 131, 22) action ShowMenu ("thoughts") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_thought.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")] 
        hotspot (103, 355, 107, 22) action ShowMenu ("gallery") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_gallery.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")] 
        hotspot (103, 391, 130, 22) action ShowMenu ("music_room") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_music.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")]
        hotspot (103, 427, 199, 22) action ShowMenu ("culture") hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_culture.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")]
        hotspot (462, 425, 68, 22) action Return () hovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")] unhovered [SetVariable("hover_var", "bonus_hover.png"), SetVariable("idle_var", "bonus_idle.png"), SetVariable("ground_var", "bonus_ground.png")]

init:
    $ hover_var = "bonus_hover.png"
    $ idle_var = "bonus_idle.png"
    $ ground_var = "bonus_ground.png"
test.jpg

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Alex »

clannadman

#9 Post by clannadman »

That's sorted it. Thankyou once again Alex :)