Always Remember Me (VN/Life sim, commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Always Remember Me (VN/Life sim, commercial)

#106 Post by jack_norton »

Yes I meant that one. I see, so you would just like an option to see the full image fit in the screen without any dialog... can add that option indeed.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#107 Post by Miyuki »

Uh, I'm not sure if people have commented on this yet or if I'm just not using the newest version, but the soundtrack is a little annoying to me. The tracks don't loop which I find a little disappointing and if I load from a save point the music stops completely and doesn't come back until the next day.

I'm not sure if it's to discourage the save load method of increasing stats, but it's still kind of detracting from the experience of the game.

Also
I got the even with Hugh and the club but Amy runs off saying that she doesn't have work the next day which is great for tension but I got the event on a Wednesday so she did have work the next day...
Wow, I am magic at errors x.X
I just had like a pick-up line off against Hugh and it ended with us "walking all the way home" but it left me in town and I can't actually do anything. I mean, I get the notifications that certain places are closed and that there's a hip hop band concert in the pub but I can't do any events even in my house.

It's August 3rd and I don't quite know what to do other than load a different save file. I saved the day so I could get the percentages if you really need them but this is pretty interesting actually

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#108 Post by jack_norton »

Well I think your bugs are because of the constant load/save/load save, since I really didn't have anyone report so many. To be honest, at normal level the game is really quite easy to win without having to use the load/save "cheat", once you understand what are the right actions to do :D
I mean your tactic is a way to play the game, but once you find out the best activities for each stat, you don't even have to use that to get each character ending!
I'm going to post a simple guide later so you can win the game without using that load/save method, and I'll also replay the game to see if I can find the bugs you mention too!
computer games

Miyuki
Regular

#109 Post by Miyuki »

Ironically I got the last glitch after I stopped doing the save load thing. It's kind of time consuming right? I got into the habit from Spirited Hearts x.X So I just was playing normally for about two weeks worth of gameplay when I got the Hugh event and its aftermath.

And I noticed the music thing from the opening scene (the lack of looping) so is that just from the save/load or are all the tracks not coded to loop? I did notice that it depended on which song it was, like the instrumentals to the theme don't repeat and the music at the
Hugh dance event
didn't repeat either if I recall correctly.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#110 Post by jack_norton »

Are you playing version 1.2? I just tried and earlier version had those problems indeed, but new one doesn't (of course you need to start a new game from scratch, if you load a "bugged" save game you'll still have them).
And yes the musics aren't coded for loop. The problem is, that if you play quickly using skipping, having loop would be pointless since you go so fast that you cannot even hear the loop ONCE :D
I'm writing a walkthrough now, I tried at easy level and for Lawrence, and by just doing:
- get new book at library Monday/Friday and read them in library
- practice writing in library
- attend writing course during weekend in the evenings
I reached Culture 32 and Creativity 21 and was the 29th June (so still more than 2 months available!!!). Once I finish the guide I really think the load/save won't be needed anymore :wink:
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#111 Post by jack_norton »

Ok here are some trick and tips:

In general, a thing probably not many people do, is work another time after the normal shift ends or just do 1 overtime during weekends. Doing this will help you raise money to get the items which give you the biggest bonuses later in the game, or attend some courses which are also big stats boosters.

All characters
As soon as you have $30, get the Relaxing Infusion from the mall so you'll never have nightmares and recover better.
- during weekend, in the Library at Evening, you can also attend Writing Course which can raise all your stats. If you save enough money (it costs $30) you can easily raise each stats by +5/8 in a weekend.
- once you have enough money to buy the "Pearbook" you can write a book in your bedroom at home, and that will increase ALL your stats. So it's worth saving some money to get that bonus since can make a big difference towards the end of the game!
Aaron
Associated with Romance. This character is quite easy to get, since basically you can just:
- each Monday and Friday borrow new books at the library (action available only Mon/Fri)
- use the option "read books" when you visit him to get a bonus to Romance
- writing poems at home also helps Romance
- talking with him in the afternoon when Abigail is there will be hardest, so is better to visit him early. Always go to him after work and read books or talk with him to raise Romance.
Since several scenes with Aaron also boosts Romance (like buying Akinara plushie at the Mall) and since talking with him already gives good chances to increase both his relationship and Romance, I was able to get to Romance 18 by end of June.
Lawrence
Associated with Culture. Is the easiest character to get, a few tips:
- talk with him NOT during the weekend since the shop is crowded and you won't get much attention
- each Monday and Friday borrow new books at the library (action available only Mon/Fri)
- to raise culture, read new books in Library or at Home, and do also Practice Writing
Only by doing the steps above, attending the writing course 3 times in total, I was able to raise Culture to 30 and was just the 23rd June! (so more than 2 months left before the end of the game). At that point I had just to keep doing that and then always talk to Lawrence to get all the scenes to unlock the extra ending with him.
Hugh
Associated with Creativity. Is the easiest character to get, a few tips:
- an easy way to raise Creativity is to cook something at home, but requires some money. Be sure to have bought the Recipes Book first at the mall to get a bonus in success!
- you can, once a day, write a poem, and this also boosts your Creativity
- Practice Writing at the Library also raises Creativity a bit
- Painting Course at the Mall is expensive but increases Creativity by a good amount
Hugh path is harder than Lawrence because is the one that requires more money, but by doing a bit of overtime, buying the Recipes Book and practicing cooking, and attending Painting Course I was able to get Creativity to 24 at end of June, so plenty of time to get the special ending as well.
Eddy
Associated with Discipline. This character is a bit harder because you don't have many chances to talk with him (being busy as a doctor) until you "Unlock" your home and then you can visit him in the evening and things will be much easier:
- first thing, you should save enough money so you can get gym and pool access, and then do either swimming or exercise once a day
- you can also go in Library and update your blog
- Jogging at the park also increases Discipline
I'm not going to lie, Eddy is the hardest character to get, however if you play at Normal mode and do the activities above, you should get the special ending. Remember that talking to each character also raises sometimes the associated stat. I was able to get Discipline to 16 by end of June, but I had just bought the gym and pool access, so couldn't use the full bonus for many days yet.
computer games

Miyuki
Regular

#112 Post by Miyuki »

I am using Version 1.2. So there's a newer one I need to download? I guess that makes sense x.X I'll do that later.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#113 Post by jack_norton »

No, 1.2 is the latest. Well if you find those bugs and have a savegame let me know, will ask you to send it so I can check :)
computer games

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

#114 Post by Starling »

So this is a REALLY REALLY LATE review, considering as soon as this game was available to play I had bought it and played it all the way through, getting a good third of the endings, including some of the super hard ones.

ANYWAY

Though the game still is challenging, it is no longer impossible and frustrating for me like it was before you offered the easier mode, so thank you for that.

I adore the game play. I don't buy a lot of VNs due to lack of money, but because of playing the demo, this was one I pounced on almost immediately and it was mostly because of the gameplay and art. I also adored the randomness of being at the right place at the right time (though that also got very frustrating at time, I'll admit, it is a love-hate relationship) and I love the little events on each of the boys' paths.

However, unfortunately for me there is a story issue I have with it that has rendered the game unplayable for me (though gladly not for other people it seems). And that's with the endings.

Because so much work goes into trying to meet with these guys and have them fall in love with you, I kinda expected a fulfilling and long last event for each of the guys. I was excited to see how the story of their relationship would come together and they would realize they liked each other.

But,
in Lawrence's route for example all she does is figure out he was the guy who had liked her poem and then she runs off SKIP TO THE ENDING CG IN THE WAY FUTURE.

I had been expecting to see her confront him about it, watch him talk about how he had admired her and pretty much have an event that was longer than any of the others I had sat through.

So the fact that it was so short really dropped the ball for me. I really wanted to play again, as I said I love the gameplay, but the lackluster(for me) endings really didn't seem a big enough award for all the hours put into the game.
I haven't played through to the end in any of your other games, so I don't know if it's a common occurrence, or just in this game, or if maybe I'm the only one in the world with this opinion, but I thought you might want to know just in case you keep it in mind for future games.

In general, however, thank you so much for making it :D
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#115 Post by jack_norton »

Starling wrote: I haven't played through to the end in any of your other games, so I don't know if it's a common occurrence, or just in this game, or if maybe I'm the only one in the world with this opinion, but I thought you might want to know just in case you keep it in mind for future games.
Ah, I understand now. To be honest also in most of my games works like that. Not in all the other games endings, but in general I did that because some people said they like to know what happens later, they don't like ambiguous/open endings. But I see you want both (immediate confrontation/rewarding and then a short ending sequence explaining "what comes after XX weeks/months..." so you're not left wondering what will be of your heroine).
I noted it, so future games will offer the kind of reward you're looking for. To be honest, I could add those missing scenes even now. Even if in some endings like Hugh I think it feels complete as it is, while others like Lawrence one you mentioned could have a scene where they talk about his behavior.
Starling wrote: In general, however, thank you so much for making it :D
Thanks :) I'm taking notes of what people liked/disliked for future games. Definitely no more random raising stats!
computer games

Miyuki
Regular

#116 Post by Miyuki »

Uh, so for the error thing... what exactly are the errors?

I mean, I know that the one about not getting to do anything (since I didn't get teleported home for the evening time slot) I did save that one and I'm a little sad because as I said it was after I stopped doing the save load repeat process so I hadn't saved for awhile.

But the only other thing I can recall as an "error" would be the whole,
Amy runs away from Hugh and says she lied and didn't have work the next day when I got the event on a Wednesday so she did have work the next day
and I thought that was more a lapse in the writing than a coding error... I should have a save file for that though. I almost always save at events (I just didn't for the first error I mentioned x.X) and I don't believe I overwrote it.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#117 Post by jack_norton »

The second bug is quite simple, the scene should happen only on Friday or Saturday :) so no need to send me savegame, would have been useful in the 1st error instead! but at least I know which scene triggered it. Thanks
computer games

Miyuki
Regular

#118 Post by Miyuki »

Wait, no those two errors are different events. The first one was also for Hugh but it wasn't the meeting at night. It was
The one where they tell each other cheesy pick up lines all the way home

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#119 Post by jack_norton »

Yes, I understood it, expressed myself badly :)
computer games

Miyuki
Regular

#120 Post by Miyuki »

No, it's not your fault. I hadn't said when the first one occurred so I didn't think you had enough information to know which event it was.