The Origins of Lemma (add your own mascot/name origins!)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

The Origins of Lemma (add your own mascot/name origins!)

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

People were sharing how they came up with their studio/group/creator names in Snowflower's thread asking for name suggestions, and it made me reflect back on how "Lemma Soft" came to be.

Here's the official story of our cute mascot's origins :mrgreen:
The original banner on the Lemma Soft website from 2003
The original banner on the Lemma Soft website from 2003
Back in high school, I had a huge appetite for RPG-making and learning how to draw anime-style. One of my RPG ideas was "Monster Patrol", about a group of four people who protect the entrance to their underground city for a living. The main characters were:

Gyral: Main hero/player character. Has red hair, wears red for some reason and uses a sword. Might have had a blue headband. Not very magical, but all-around good guy.

Ram: Strong dude who bashes monsters with a club and has wild gray spikey Sonic the Hedgehog hair :lol: Not as smart as Gyral, but he's reliable. Very into girls.

Kora: The magic seductress of the group who attacks with a whip. Revealing outfit and black/dark purple hair. Street-smart and outgoing. She and Ram are dating.

And last but most...
Lemma: Sweet and gentle young woman who is a spearfighting prodigy and has immense magical powers. She was raised by a pack of monsters in the wild and is a relative newcomer to human society. Lemma has a bright lightning-shaped scar on her forehead (and this was before I heard of Harry Potter but might have been before the series anyway) of which the origins are unknown. Gyral falls in love with her at first sight :wink:

Lemma's design changed to lose the scar, and I don't think her current mascot incarnation was raised by monsters... but her dress and hair remained the same :)

Around this time, I was getting involved with this neat thing called the "internet" (ooooooh!) and had this theory that people treated you better there (on Gamefaqs anyway) if they thought you were a girl. I needed a screen name there, and I chose Blue Lemma since it's on the feminine side and I like blue. I don't remember if Lemma the character came first, or if Blue Lemma the name came first. Hmmmm. :?

As a fan of J-games and all that fun stuff, I became interested in these "visual novel" and "date sim" thingies eventually, and was contacted by a man in California about working on one. I was to do the programming, and he was to do the script and art. The script got about halfway done before things ran out of steam, but I was able to complete my VN engine (not Ren'Py) which I decided to try making my own game with. Hence Tales of Lemma :) (I think I must have been playing Tales of Phantasia at the time >_< Bad me! Be more original!) I wanted to put it on a website, so I needed a name.... ooh, how about Lemma Soft! I'd read about Alice Soft and their games (er, don't google them, kids), and I thought, "that'd be cool if there were games like those but without all the over-the-top sex stuff everywhere!" My goal was what I call "H-lite" :wink: The teenage version! I liked Alice Soft's idea of a cute mascot girl, so I chose Lemma to rep the site.

So "Lemma Soft" is basically modeled after Alice Soft (sort of.) Again, bad me, need more originality! That's the history, though.

The current cutie you see greeting you in the forum picture was drawn by magi-san, and I love it :mrgreen: Way better than mine!

How did you all come up with your site/group names?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: The Origins of Lemma

#2 Post by Vatina »

Fun to hear how she came to be :) Guess she's one of those characters that just 'stick' with their creators through all sorts of things.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: The Origins of Lemma

#3 Post by LVUER »

I guess we could change the thread title into "The origins of your studio/circle name"? Or everyone could just make their own thread (though it would be a mess later). Now after reading this, I really want to know the reason behind names Hanako Games (I've read somewhere the reason behind Winterwolves and Sake-visual).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

Re: The Origins of Lemma (add your own mascot/name origins!)

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Good idea, LVUER :)
I made my own thread because I figured the origins of Lemma were special here considering she's the forum mascot, but I'd be interested in hearing about how other people came up with their site/group names and mascots!
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#5 Post by Camille »

I'm part of Khobi, which is basically a duo at the moment, haha. Quoted from our website:
“Khobi” is a mash-up of khoai lang and kabibi. “Khoai lang” is the Vietnamese word for yam/sweet potato, while “kabibi” is the Tagalog word for clam. Airi is Filipino and Lorelei is Vietnamese, so the name is the team founders’ way of paying homage to their roots. “You can’t get anywhere if you don’t know where you’ve been” and all that. Together we are yam + clam, a very obscure reference to Prince of Tennis. If you get the reference, you’re awesome.
(Lorelei would be me)

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#6 Post by EzzyAlpha »

Wolfeye Studios is my studios, though it's pretty much just me and my editors at the time. Originally I wanted it to be Wolf Studios, because the main character of my main story had a wolf theme. I found out there was already a Wolf Studios so I changed it to Wolfeye. I retired my characters but the name stuck.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by HigurashiKira »

The name "Red Sky Studios" was inspired by playing 3days (A rather violent erouge game) since a Red Sky was usually used to represent someone dying or discovering the murderer in the act. So my name basicly means "Killer Studio" though for more "family friendly" stories, I use CHASE (which is an abreviation of Cartoongirl(My friend and fellow studio member) Hijiri(Me) Artistic Studio Entertainment)

I haven't comeup with a mascot, but I probably will eventually ^^;
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#8 Post by EzzyAlpha »

I forgot, I have my mascot. http://diana-m.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3jvyh5
Sorry for the art card form, but it was the most recent and I don't feel like digging through my gallery.
He came after the name though.

LightsGreatTree
Projects: Sacred Souls

#9 Post by LightsGreatTree »

This Username: Unoriginal I know but ever hear about .Hack// (.dothack). Well in that world's Epitaph of Twilight there is a sentence called "Light's Great Tree Doth Fall" I didn't want to get insulted for stealing such a prized (if obscure) reference so it ended up being Lights/Light's Great Tree.

The studio name (mostly a project between offline friends) has yet to be decided however. "Crimson Moon", "Dragonbone Studios" or the like might work. -rubs chin-

Regarding Mascots I have a few in my head. A fantasy styled tree for LGT, A crimson full moon hanging over a graveyard or manor house, or Ru a skeleton dragon whose soul was called back by darkness/black magic.

Never really though it out so much. Just have a lot of people being me (offline friends mostly) who can help out.
Main Artist: http://urikohimura.deviantart.com
Main Writer (aka LightsGreatTree on here): http://bloodthirstypoppet.deviantart.com

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

@ EzzyAlpha: Whoa, you know a wolf means business when he's got a pierced ear!
- Napoleon Bonaparte

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#11 Post by KomiTsuku »

*grabs his cane*

This story dates back to when the original Starcraft came out. A small group of friends decided to create a guild called the Moogles of Doom. Over the next seven years or so, we moved around from RP forums (such as go-gaia and Everbane) to various online games, under different public names, one of which being the Katajion Defense Force, my baby. The intent was world domination, but we were thwarted by internal affairs. The group ended up dissolving and quietly breaking up into separate shards. However, some of the original legacy remains. One such survivor was a small writing group who wrote political stories during 2004-2008, as well as a variety of fiction. The reporting side died off, but we kept writing. A lot of the old stories were about the old KDF adventures. We decided to call ourselves I Don't Have A Studio Studios as a laugh at our lack of talent and seriousness. Even though we are moving forward with ACTUAL writing and game making, we keep it as a homage to the fact we still have no permanent artists. Frozen Phoenix was born when we moved into the visual novel genre and moved away from our traditional writing/editing base. Yep, a very long, very colorful history that has almost entirely disappeared into obscurity, for good reasons.

As for where Komi Tsuku came from, it started as a misspelling of a Yu-gi-oh card in '01, Tsukuyomi (Japanese goddess). I switched it around not to long afterwards because I liked the name.

Mascot is easy! We named Pudges the Super Cat our mascot a while back. Best main character I've ever had. http://komi-tsuku.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2egrkb Never really had anything prior to that.

Veniae
Veteran

#12 Post by Veniae »

Hahah, that's interesting, guys!

As for our name - Mushroom Samba, Dee (the other member of our duo and the artist) came up with it. The both of us are kinda addicted to TvTropes, so it made sense to use a name of our trope for our studio - and a really cool one at that! Mushroom samba is "the implied or accidental use of mind-altering substances by characters' [/quote]. Here's the link, if you wanna read more.

And to see our mascot, look at my avatar. That's Mushoo with a slightly changed colour scheme. The original Mushoo can be seen on our logo:

So yeah, that is all. xD

P.S.: Oh, yeah, Dee designed the logo and the mascot. Only the colourisation of my avatar belongs to me. ^^

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#13 Post by babyfish »

Veniae wrote: As for our name - Mushroom Samba, Dee (the other member of our duo and the artist) came up with it. The both of us are kinda addicted to TvTropes, so it made sense to use a name of our trope for our studio - and a really cool one at that! Mushroom samba is "the implied or accidental use of mind-altering substances by characters'
As I recall, the Trope Namer happens to also be the title of one of the more hilarious episodes of Cowboy Bebop. XD

And why babyfish? Because I'm a Pisces, it's my real life nickname, and because the logo would be so easy to draw. (' )<
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Veniae
Veteran

#14 Post by Veniae »

Yep, it appears so. (I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop, though. xD)

Oh, and your signature (')< is really cute~

By the way, I'm Pisces too. ^^