Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#3076 Post by Watercolorheart »

Fawn wrote:I'm working on a free customizable sprite project, and I've got some male sketches down. What'dya think, ladies? They'll have outfits, faces and hair later,don't worry... Also, crit's appreciated; I'm not really the best at men ^___^;
The attachment angelicdollprojectsketch.jpg is no longer available
Also, if you have any suggestions for outfits, hair styles or eye styles please tell me. (I'd ask for pose suggestions too, but for every pose I make I have to re-draw most of the clothing so it would take forever =__=; ) They'll be free photoshop "paper dolls" for everyone to use when I'm finished, so it'd be wonderful to know what the community would like to use. I'll also be porting them to gimp and Sai for people who only have those programs. So yeah, suggest those handsome features you like so I can add them!
LOOKIN' GOOD! Oh, and er, I actually really like short and mid-length hair on guys, not girly hair (though that's good too.) Also, a lot of male sprites lack facial hair. I really don't know why.

Mmm, I'm poking at the resident not-a-loli Sara Smith in Bliss Stage and ... random cruft from my pony stream. Among other things. @_@
Attachments
gamicross.jpg
pinkietwilight1.jpg
schoolgirl.jpg
sara1.jpg
I'm not even the same person anymore

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3077 Post by Fawn »

Got some base colors, eyes and the first hair style out of the way for the sprite project. There will be other skin, eye and hair colors as well, along with other eye styles and clothes! Again, crit appreciated.
angelicdollprojectmanprev1.jpg
@BCS: I've noticed a lot of your bliss stage drawings have tiny dot pupils for eyes, without the irises... It looks kinda funky, a little off-putting; like they're all in uber-anger mode... You draw such pretty eyes on your other characters (not just the ponies lol), why not the bliss stage characters?

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3078 Post by Samu-kun »

I think the head's too small. There's no way a guy looking that young looking is going to have a head as wide as his biceps.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3079 Post by Fawn »

What about these beefcakes? They're pretty young...

Not to mention, when a guy with muscles crosses his arms tight like that they get squished, so they look more voluminous.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3080 Post by Watercolorheart »

Fawn: I can see Samukun's point, HOWEVER, I did not notice it at first. At all. It just didn't jump out at me and I usually notice anatomy errors like *artnazi twitch*

Also, toon style (even anime) is about exaggeration. Not necessarily realistic.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Zocha
Projects: Magiflyte (GxB, fantasy), Creatopia

#3081 Post by Zocha »

I hope no one minds if I jump in here and give out some critiques. ^^;; (I don't post too often in these forums but I'm trying to become more active lately.)

Fawn, if you're going for an anime style, keep in mind that some body proportions are exaggerated and might not match those we see in real life. Most bishounen-style characters, along with the majority of the characters in the anime world, have larger heads than real people. You would be able to fit about three heads on the shoulder width of a real person (which is what you've got in your sprite), but in anime-style, it's usually around 1.5 - 2.5 heads.

And another thing... the thickness of the lineart differs between his head and the rest of his body. You're probably not finished with the shading on the entire sprite, but I just thought I'd bring it up, since a similar thickness would make for a more consistent style.

Other than that, your sprite is looking great. Keep it up!

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3082 Post by Fawn »

Well, actually, a lot of anime males fit the 3-heads ratio. I've made some examples below, all I did was copy their heads and line them up. :> Bishonen art is often more realistic than one would think; I'm guessing since it makes the characters more attractive...
headsexample1.jpg
These are pretty skinny guys, but they still relatively fit the 3-heads ratio. The guy on the right is at an angle so it doesn't work as well, but you can still see he's most likely 3-heads wide.
headsexample2.jpg
Here's an example from the popular game Garnet Cradle. This guy's shoulders actually are MORE than 3 heads in width.
headsexample3.jpg
And finally from Heart no Kuni Alice. Perfect 3-heads wide.

Despite this, I have taken y'alls critique- he did look a bit funky. Here's what I have now (Now with more pink! because I felt like it) also another pose and another face!
angelicdollprojectprogress2.1.jpg
angelicdollprojectprogress2.2.jpg
He's about 2 1/2 heads now. and looks like a ken doll with that smile... Crit still appreciated.

Arcanum
Veteran

#3083 Post by Arcanum »

I appreciate that style of bishounen with larger shoulders… Y'know, CLAMP was rocking that since the 90s! So yeah, I think the strangeness doesn't come actually from the size of the head, but from the hair. A lot of anime characters have the sort of hair that is fluffier/doesn't stick completely to the head like human hair. It's also rare to see bishounen with super short hair! So the head looks a lot smaller than what we're used to.

Abeiramar
Regular

#3084 Post by Abeiramar »

Fawn, you should make his neck shorter. It's way too long...

I think in this kind of manly characters a slightly more detailed nose is more suitable. Drawing short line/dote for a nose is more adequate for children or a person with a cute child-like face, but this is all a matter of style so you don't need to change it if you don't want.

Celestie
Veteran

#3085 Post by Celestie »

Elze wrote: Trying to work more with bright colours recently.
& I've just discovered that I can't draw cute little animals to save my life. My kitten turned out looking like a fat sack of flour aldjwaiwhdw. OTL
Oh, ever since Natsume Yuujinchou no cat can be fatter than Nyanko-sensei, and he still manages to be super-cute so THE HELL YOUR CAT IS CUTE ENOUGH :3

Also. I seriously want to stalk you. You draw and color so prettily...and you definitely like Starry Sky. ...or at least, Seigetsu Academy's school uniform. And that's a big plus xD

And I can't believe I am adding something. Just to...not appear like a total stalker, maybe? Actually, I just uploaded this photo, so might as well use it...
Attachments
I was practising my first set of hiragana...and got distracted. Also, can't draw poses or side profiles or ANYTHING with proportion to save my life. Sad thing.
I was practising my first set of hiragana...and got distracted. Also, can't draw poses or side profiles or ANYTHING with proportion to save my life. Sad thing.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3086 Post by Fawn »

@Abeiramar: I usually just draw a blip as a placeholder for shading I do later (unless I'm drawing super animoo stuff, like in my avatar ^^; ) The neck can be adjusted; but isn't that usually "attractive" on bishonens? that they have super crazy long necks?

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3087 Post by Samu-kun »

Fawn wrote:Well, actually, a lot of anime males fit the 3-heads ratio. I've made some examples below, all I did was copy their heads and line them up. :> Bishonen art is often more realistic than one would think; I'm guessing since it makes the characters more attractive...
headsexample1.jpg
These are pretty skinny guys, but they still relatively fit the 3-heads ratio. The guy on the right is at an angle so it doesn't work as well, but you can still see he's most likely 3-heads wide.
headsexample2.jpg
Here's an example from the popular game Garnet Cradle. This guy's shoulders actually are MORE than 3 heads in width.
headsexample3.jpg
And finally from Heart no Kuni Alice. Perfect 3-heads wide.

Despite this, I have taken y'alls critique- he did look a bit funky. Here's what I have now (Now with more pink! because I felt like it) also another pose and another face!
angelicdollprojectprogress2.1.jpg
angelicdollprojectprogress2.2.jpg
He's about 2 1/2 heads now. and looks like a ken doll with that smile... Crit still appreciated.
Now there's something up with the first attachment. Check out what the arm pits look like in the photos of the guys you gave a couple posts ago, and how the underarm connects with the arm pits.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#3088 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Decided to dump something in here as well.
cute.png
Should be doing my Geometry project sketches, yet I keep on getting distracted for some reason, so I sat down and drew something cute. I dunno why, but I seem to suck at chibis a lot these days.... -_-

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3089 Post by OtomeWeekend »

hiroto.jpg
Okay, yeah, TT_TT I fail big time on hands! :( So, I made a fanart of Hiroto(Inazuma Eleven) for my friend(No, actually for the whole Art Club cause there is massive fandom for Inazuma Eleven here in our school or even whole Japan?)

Hiroto should've looked more cool but I make him the playful type-looking TT^TT

Checkmate! (Was watching Kamikaze Kaitou now thus, the chess piece. :lol: )
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Abeiramar
Regular

#3090 Post by Abeiramar »

Fawn wrote:@Abeiramar: I usually just draw a blip as a placeholder for shading I do later (unless I'm drawing super animoo stuff, like in my avatar ^^; ) The neck can be adjusted; but isn't that usually "attractive" on bishonens? that they have super crazy long necks?
I see, but there are many kinds of bishounens!
Even L from Death Note is considered one and he is nothing like the typical bishounen~
To tell the truth, something is bugging me about his neck and I can't put my finger on it ;; Maybe I'm just not used to see long necks :oops: .
Edit: I looked at tons of photos with muscular boys and it seems that there's nothing wrong about the neck @_@ ... Maybe you should draw the neck muscles meeting in the middle of the clavicles instead of fading them?