Art Workshop, FORUM READY (first post)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Veniae
Veteran

Art Workshop, FORUM READY (first post)

#1 Post by Veniae »

AND IT IS DONE.

http://www.artists-corner.forumotion.net

A few things about your registration:
-It would be nice if you registered with your name from here, so that you'd be more easily recognisable.
-I've made the better part of the forum only for members, so yeah... Register.
-I might make a separate rank for the ones who won't participate, but give tips and help.
-The first to register receives a virtual cookie!

EDIT: Expanded a bit.

So, this idea just struck me and I'm going to share it before I start to think it's too stupid.

Anyhow, imagine that we make a sort of art class? Like, every week there should be a theme/prompt/some kind of exercise and everyone who's participating should do it. Then, at the end of the week, at a time suitable for everyone, we should gather in a chatroom, share what we've done and discuss it. In this way, everyone will receive feedback (which, as I have noticed, is not an easy thing on the interwebz - and that's understandable) and encouragement. In a group, even if there are no professionals there, everyone will be able to learn from their mistakes, as well as from the others'.

Furthermore, if a particular issue strikes us as reoccurring, the next assignment could be related to it, in order for the artists to hone their skills .

The point is in practising and improving and also communicating with other artists and VN-makers and exchanging experience. xD

So... anyone interested?

Oh, and if you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them.
Last edited by Veniae on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nebi
Regular
Projects: Greaves

Re: Art Workshop, anyone interested?

#2 Post by Nebi »

First of all, kudos to you for thinking of new ways to improve and/or contribute to the community. My suggestion:

One participant picks a photo of reasonable quality as the subject. Everyone then draws/paints the subject on their own time and submits the finished product - whether a scanned copy or a digital copy - for comparison. To take that one step further you could allow everyone to compose anything they want but the chosen subject must be incorporated into the finished product. The question is whether artists should be allowed to submit different styles or if the goal is to stick with still life. Focusing on still life or life drawing will be closer to a real art class but that may not be what you're looking for. However, those still life or life drawing exercises could potentially be used in a participant's portfolio. Of course every once in a while someone could throw in a Japanese animation or western comic subject.

It would also help if there was someone who has a solid foundation in traditional arts to lead or give pointers. Not to say that collective criticism is useless.

Could be a tough sell; good luck!

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#3 Post by Hayzel »

I'd be interested in this, it sounds fun.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

Sign me up.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#5 Post by Efreet »

This sounds like a fun and worthwhile activity.

Going onto Negi's question, I think artists should be allowed to submit their different styles as I'm sure many of us would want to use this to benefit our VN projects.

Veniae
Veteran

#6 Post by Veniae »

@Nebi: Hey there, and thanks for your response and for the nice words! (:

And I rather like your idea. You mean, basically, that we should replace the worded prompts/themes with visual ones? It could work, as long as there is room for creativity.

I'm leaning towards letting each artist draw in their own style, 'coz in that way the workshop will be more practical. (and because I'm such a failure at realism and still life is a bit... boring? xD)

Anyhow, it would be really great if there were someone with experience in the workshop, but I believe that collective criticism would also be beneficial. (I hope)

Thank you again~ I really appreciate your opinion!

Veniae
Veteran

#7 Post by Veniae »

Hayzel wrote:I'd be interested in this, it sounds fun.
I'm really glad to hear that! I shall think about it more carefully and then write a more detailed description. I will PM you or something~
SusanTheCat wrote:Sign me up.

Susan
I will! Thanks for the interest! Expect a PM or something with more details.
Efreet wrote:This sounds like a fun and worthwhile activity.

Going onto Negi's question, I think artists should be allowed to submit their different styles as I'm sure many of us would want to use this to benefit our VN projects.
Yes, I completely agree with you. It would be more practical to develop our own styles than trying to adapt to something new. So, you in?

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#8 Post by wingzofdarkness »

It is a great idea except, I'm no sure if a week is long enough. Some people will have school soon and they'll probably be booked with homework and whatnot. Also, artists work at difference paces. But I would love to participate if this works out ^^

Veniae
Veteran

#9 Post by Veniae »

wingzofdarkness wrote:It is a great idea except, I'm no sure if a week is long enough. Some people will have school soon and they'll probably be booked with homework and whatnot. Also, artists work at difference paces. But I would love to participate if this works out ^^
Yeah, that's a valid argument. We may make it a fortnight if need be but I'm not going to demand overly detailed masterpieces or something. And working to a deadline is good... But I'll be sure to ask everyone what works better for them.

Thanks for the interest! I will send you a PM with details and you can decide if you wanna participate.

Efreet
Regular
Projects: Denial, Guilt [On Hold]

#10 Post by Efreet »

Sure I'm in, been meaning to draw a lot more and hopefully this'll help me in the way I said... ^^

Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

#11 Post by Lennonhead »

I'm pretty interested.

Veniae
Veteran

#12 Post by Veniae »

Efreet wrote:Sure I'm in, been meaning to draw a lot more and hopefully this'll help me in the way I said... ^^
YUSS! This makes me happy. xD Hopefully, it will. Also, I'll send you a PM, need to start organising this.
Lennonhead wrote:I'm pretty interested.
That's great! I'll be sending PMs shortly.

sorani
Veteran

#13 Post by sorani »

Sure, why not? Count me in.

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#14 Post by Death_HUG »

This sounds fun! I'm definitely in! ^-^

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I probably can't as I'm pretty booked as it is. However I do have some pointers:

-Drawing your own style is all well and good, but I would strongly recommand inclusion of the traditonal arts. There are many important things that can pretty much only be learnt from drawing from life. For instance, getting good at recognising the exsistence of colour. Many people fail at doing this. You tell them to draw a realsitic banana and they colour it yellow. They fail to see the reds, blues, greens and multitude of other colours that also exist there. There is a reason why still lifes and such are a basis for art and everyone can benefit from it no matter what style they draw in.

-Time differences is going to be a major problem. Some people are getting up while others are going to bed. I think a thread for each period of time might be suitable, as that has been done before when they had weekly challenges here.