Is it possible to get someone else to program a script?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Is it possible to get someone else to program a script?

#1 Post by Watercolorheart »

I ... I was just wondering in general if there were people on the board that, if given a complete script, would spare the writers the headache of coding all the text and allow for special variables the crop up with multiple paths.

That's it, really. Nothing else to see here.

- BCS

Kikered
Regular
Completed: Quine, The Secret Ingredient
Projects: Metropolitan Blues, Mirai Imouto, Temple Glen, Fuyu no Tabi, MIA
Organization: Team BG

#2 Post by Kikered »

I think you'll be able to find people who are willing to do that around here. For starters, I've kinda done it with Metropolitan Blues, and I think GLACIER is willing to do it if he's still around.

There may be other people willing to do it as well, and they may have been too shy to publicly offer their services. :P
Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#3 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I'd be willing to give it a shot, if you feel comfortable with leaving your script in the hands of an unknown. It'd be a good chance to get familiar with Renpy before I start on my own projects. (Although, maybe I wouldn't be the best choice... upcoming events may hinder my availability due to lack of internet connection...)

Any chance you could leak a detail or two about how the game should be coded? Specifically, about game structure or types of choices so we know more on what you're asking of us...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Jinnai
Regular

#4 Post by Jinnai »

I could also. I'd be willing to swap that if possible for help with doing artwork for my game since its based off an actual anime i can't use random pics.

That or you could send over your tablet to me :D
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

denzil
Veteran

#5 Post by denzil »

And I too. It will take a while to get somewhere with my project so I have enough time do that. (and I wrote little python script that do most of the hard work by converting text into Ren'Py script)
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

To me it would all depend on wether you already have something like this :

Code: Select all

characterA "Hello there"
characterB "Hey, how are you doing?"
or in another format :/. Adding graphical functions, working on transitions, choices, etc... is fun. Retyping every line of dialog into RenPy is not :). As someone suggested, use of a script could help tremendously in that case.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

BCS >> It's also quite important whether you're going to have the code-maker work with transitions, fades and timing... which is something that the real director should be doing - and which most people will like to do, because it's more fun. But in that case, it's much better to have everything done already - the graphics, story and music, so the director can put everything together and ask for whatever is needed.

If it's just a matter of inserting text into Ren'Py and making a working text-only version which you will then take over, it's probably best to clarify this from the very beginning. But in this case, when you want to retain the ultimate control, why not take that bit of time and code it yourself, so you have an overview - and you did CA and Shifted, so I don't see a problem... unless there is a complicated game system, in which case of course, it's justified.

Still, I don't see anything wrong with looking for people to do "manual work". We did something similar for denzil's Katherine, filtered the graphics and supplied an extra picture or two, but ultimately I didn't have the slightest ambition of going into the creative side, because I saw it as his game (and his only).

I guess all I'm saying is that it's good to have the level of cooperation defined at the start, so people don't get upset or so. Happens. We're sensitive beings :P

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

...must... resist... temptation to... volunteer... >_<

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#9 Post by Watercolorheart »

*lol* It's an extensive fan-based game for Sonic with many, many paths and I have one beta-reader/tester working with me to fix the little niggles as I write it. I could use another, but patience is a must. Sometimes I write a lot during the week, sometimes I just brain-storm until I'm happy with what I've thought up.

Since the script isn't complete yet, I would feel terrible if I got a programmer willing, then didn't pull through. The style is sort of a subtle, offbeat humor told in third person with first-person thoughts occasionally from the protagonist.

The game flow is multiple-choice with lots of branches, and 3 additional (read: optional) short stories/characters unlocked after each playing to "fill in the blanks" as it were, and open up more characters and CG available.

I have it written in HTML form with the branches clearly delineated (how could I write it, otherwise ....) but it's just too much for me to code myself, especially since I took the added initiative of doing it with an all-ages and adult option. Not difficult to write for (two differing colors of blue and red work that out just fine,) but I don't even know where to begin to program it all.

In other words, I've written off more than I could chew in programming terms. I'm capable enough to complete the script, I think, at this point. I just may be very tired of it once done.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

First : do you think someone who doesn't know much about Sonic could enjoy the final product ? (does it refer to specific events from the game series without explaining them ?)

Second : since it's HTML, it should be rather easy to automatically turn text into Ren'Py format. I think all of the branching will need to be done manually though, but I don't think it's the worst part :)

denzil
Veteran

#11 Post by denzil »

I'm still willing to do it. And I don't see any problem working with incomplete script because even if you don't finish it I as programmer probably will learn sometning new that will help my with my game in the future.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Watercolorheart »

denzil wrote:I'm still willing to do it. And I don't see any problem working with incomplete script because even if you don't finish it I as programmer probably will learn sometning new that will help my with my game in the future.
Done. I'll look in your profile for your e-mail addy. If it isn't there, just drop me a PM.

Monele: Yes, I think so, for the most part. I think that I sort of assumed a general knowledge for each character or familiarity, but it can be picked up as a the game goes along too. I don't really reference specific events without explanation, as I wanted people who hadn't read the comics or played all the games to just be introduced to some of these newer characters with a totally different backstory.

Each character has a (very short) bio too, in a little "extra" sort of section.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Watercolorheart »

I'd just like to say my Sonic game is coming along smoothly enough, and denzil is working with me. The script is still being written, and my workflow is usually just a little bit a day, but it's all adding up.

Also, other people are contributing to the writing.

I'm having a feeling it's when I hit the art portion, I'm going to be feeling overwhelmed. I've got SteveFarFan of the, er, Newgrounds game fame working on facial icons (that seems like such a waste of talent but it was something I really didn't want to do ......) and I'm still in the process of doing the sprites.

- BCS

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

Good thing to know this is coming along ^^