Dropped Projects

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Dropped Projects

#61 Post by Wright1000 »

There is always time for people who are dedicated.
Even if I don't get time, everyday, before sleeping, I make some progress on my VN before going to bed.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#62 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Wright1000 wrote:There is always time for people who are dedicated.
Even if I don't get time, everyday, before sleeping, I make some progress on my VN before going to bed.
That's what I mean, you can't 'make' time. You only have so much. You either have to have it to begin with or you sacrifice something else. For instance on an average day I:

Work for 9 hours.
Travel for 2.5 hours.
Sleep for 6 hours.

That leaves me with only 6.5 hours to do everything else including housework and other obligations, as well as spending some time with my family. And I do try to add to my sleep time if I can. All the dedication in the world won't give me time without me losing out on something else.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#63 Post by Wright1000 »

In order to achieve something, you have to sacrifice something.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#64 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

A hobby is not worth sacrificing some things for. Like my job. It will just have to deal with only getting an hour or so piece of attention each day during the week.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#65 Post by Wright1000 »

If you are dedicated to something, it is not actually a hobby.
Instead of wasting time on things like chatting with useless friends, or watching stupid shows on TV, you can always find time to work on your project.

Avaible
Regular

#66 Post by Avaible »

Sorry, but I am very dedicated to my hobbies. That doesn't make them more than what they are: time to enjoy myself.
Wright1000 wrote:Instead of wasting time on things like chatting with useless friends, or watching stupid shows on TV, you can always find time to work on your project.
Surely, if you are wasting time by doing unimportant things. Fact is, people don't usually waste their time with things they deem unnecessary, so this tip won't help any of them.

Back on topic, I would like to add another aspect to lack of time. Often one does have freetime inbetween other things, like ten minutes and five minutes and thirty minutes. All of them added up can amount to pretty much, but it is almost impossible to seriously work on your project in those small intervalls when you're always interrupted by the on-going outside world. If one had all of that time at once, maybe a whole hour instead of four times 15min, the chances would stand better to be able to properly get some things done.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#67 Post by manga_otaku »

Wright1000 wrote:If you are dedicated to something, it is not actually a hobby.
Instead of wasting time on things like chatting with useless friends, or watching stupid shows on TV, you can always find time to work on your project.
After reading this, I have to say I disagree. Though I am still only a student, I think that not spending time doing things such as "chatting with useless friends" and "watching stupid TV shows" to focus on your VN is not called dedication, but more of a second job or profession. Most people do not "dedicate" their time on VN all of the time. I know you manage to churn out good VNs one after the other, but human interaction is needed. Besides, saying that making VNs is a hobby doesn't mean we have a lack of dedication - it just means we have more important things to do in life than working on our projects.

Btw, this may seem rude, but I think that you need to loosen up a bit.

Just my thoughts.
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

clannadman

#68 Post by clannadman »

manga_otaku wrote: Btw, this may seem rude, but I think that you need to loosen up a bit.
Just my thoughts.
I agree with this last statement :P A VN does require time but for most people, this is one of many things in their lives that take up their free time. Friends, family, work and other hobbies have an equal if not greater priority than making games. If I worked in a professional game studio every day then that would be different but right now, there are few amateur visual novel companies that reach professional levels outside of Japan.

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#69 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Wright1000 wrote:If you are dedicated to something, it is not actually a hobby.
Er, okay.

I consider the few friends I do have (I'm a bit of an introvert) and my remaining family to be more important than a game, especially if it's an unpaid hobby.
I'm human and I need my human socializing from time to time. :)
Also, I consider a job to put food on the table and pay back my expensive student college loans more important than a hobby, especially right now, when I still only have a low-paying, part-time job that pays barely minimum wage (and thus, I have to live with my family in order to survive. I'm still searching for a full-time job to this day. :( ).
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#70 Post by PyTom »

Advice I've given to a few forum members who wondered if making VNs is worth it:
My advice to you is that you should decide if what you're doing is rewarding or not.

Rewarding is very different from "fun". In my case, I spend several hours a day trying to solve various bugs in Ren'Py - it's not fun, not like the sort of fun I get when I'm watching TV or Anime. But when I'm done watching, there's nothing left - but when I'm done solving the problems with Ren'Py, I have Ren'Py, and that's rewarding.

So you need to decide if what you're doing is still rewarding enough to justify dealing with the challenges. If it is, you should stick with it, despite them, and make what you want. If not - why have someting that isn't rewarding as a hobby?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#71 Post by Fawn »

I dunno if you've heard of this thing called stress, but it's an annoying thing that builds up after working hard (even when it's something you love) and can drive you insane, making your work quality plummet quickly. That is why people chat with useless friends that they can laugh and unwind with and watch stupid shows on TV like Nova Science Now and this thing called "the news"(though the news can be just as stressful). Sorry to poke fun, but your comment was ripe for it ;)

Also, PyTom is spot on. Making a game should be a labor of love that is worth your time and effort; it should satisfy you. You should want to make the game because you want to see it made and have the will to make it, not just because you want other people to like it.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#72 Post by KomiTsuku »

PyTom wrote:Advice I've given to a few forum members who wondered if making VNs is worth it:
My advice to you is that you should decide if what you're doing is rewarding or not.

Rewarding is very different from "fun". In my case, I spend several hours a day trying to solve various bugs in Ren'Py - it's not fun, not like the sort of fun I get when I'm watching TV or Anime. But when I'm done watching, there's nothing left - but when I'm done solving the problems with Ren'Py, I have Ren'Py, and that's rewarding.

So you need to decide if what you're doing is still rewarding enough to justify dealing with the challenges. If it is, you should stick with it, despite them, and make what you want. If not - why have someting that isn't rewarding as a hobby?
I could have sworn I heard this before, Py'tom. :lol:

Anyway, there are situations where you just can't make nearly as much time. I work 16-18 hour days (SALARY!) without a weekend (Terrorists don't take weekends off!). If I'm not asleep or at work, I'm enroute to one of those two. Most of the time, I can only get an hour a day, if I'm lucky. While I'm talented at managing my time to get some work done, I do often come up short. While my case is a rare one, there is such a thing as simply not having enough time.

On the flip, if you love something, you find time. Even if it means sleep has become a figment of your imagination, there is always time. You just have to decide your priorities. Time management: The key to a successful part-time hobbyist.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#73 Post by Wright1000 »

Fawn wrote:
I dunno if you've heard of this thing called stress, but it's an annoying thing that builds up after working hard (even when it's something you love) and can drive you insane, making your work quality plummet quickly. That is why people chat with useless friends that they can laugh and unwind with and watch stupid shows on TV like Nova Science Now and this thing called "the news"(though the news can be just as stressful). Sorry to poke fun, but your comment was ripe for it ;)
I didn't say that all shows on TV are stupid.
I meant that most people waste their time watching stupid shows.
If you are watching channels like Discovery or National Geographic, it is very good.
But most of the channels are useless. (I won't give any examples.)
One more thing- Chatting with useless friends can make you laugh, but not happy.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#74 Post by Silvere »

Wright1000 wrote: One more thing- Chatting with useless friends can make you laugh, but not happy.
Depending on the mood I have I definitely CAN get happy by chatting with friends, although most of the time I don´t like it ^^
Therefore don´t write such a fuss p.p

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#75 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Wright1000 wrote:One more thing- Chatting with useless friends can make you laugh, but not happy.
I sorta disagree, because isn't it that laughing is one expression of happiness?
Except if you are doing it the yandere-way.

I talk to people all the time in the internet, and usually interactions like these can get you motivation. Yep. Lots of it.
Well, it can also lower your motivation, I admit. But there's only two possibilities why can it reach that scenario : a) you don't have a social life or b) those "friends" just simply hate you.

Sorry if I sound too confusing ;____;