Which do you like better Kinec or Nonlinear visual novels?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Which do you like better Kinec or Nonlinear visual novels?

#1 Post by ririruetoo »

I was just wondering what people liked. I myself enjoy Nonlinear the best.
ImageImageImage

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

Re: Which do you like better Kinec or Nonlinear visual novel

#2 Post by YonYonYon »

IMO, nonlinear is the best. 'cuz I'm an Explorationist
ImageImage

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Nonlinear. Kinenos rarely appeal to me; I could watch a good movie instead, or read a good book. It's the choices that make it juicy for me.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

I generally enjoy non-branching visual novels more, though I hesitate to use the term, "kinetic novel." I rarely enjoy the "gameplay" aspect of visual novels although I don't really discriminate against those types of VNs. I prefer minimal branching if possible like in Swan Song.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#5 Post by Death_HUG »

I love nonlinear VN! I love making choices and see what happens after! I havn't read any kinetic VN and they don't really interest me...

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by HigurashiKira »

I like kinetic novels more, Narcussu being one of the reasons why.
I've come to dislike Non-Linear games after a certain"incident" involving a non-linear game.

Case in point:
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#7 Post by bunny-gypsy »

This is me for all games in general: I prefer non-linear stuff. That's why I like Simulation games (like The Sims, dating Sims, Startopia, etc) and "sandbox"-y games (think iNFAMOUS or Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls games), or games with multiple choices (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) or exploration (Elder Scrolls games and adventure games).

I do like some linear stuff (ex: Uncharted 2, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, etc), but I tend to like to feel in control in some aspect, whether or not it affects the story or not.

I like to feel involved in some way.

I need to actually do something in the game, even if it's only the battles in between the cutscenes. :)

Otherwise, I could just get a good comic book and/or books (and there are many to choose from) instead, heh.

A "kinetic" visual novel (why do they call it kinetic? Because the story moves regardless whether or not you are actually clicking? I thought the ones with choices would be kinetic, lol!) would have to have a really, really, good story or an interesting and unique premise (like, not in a high school, for example) for me to consider playing it.
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#8 Post by Cidz »

I like non-linear works. Since I'm playing a game I would like some sort of game play/involvement. That is why i was appealed to VNs and Dating-sims because i got to interact with the characters and choose how i wanted it to end up. It's fun. Reminds me of those choose your own adventure books i loved those as a kid. id read them over and over choosing different choices each time.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#9 Post by ririruetoo »

I feel the same way as you Cidz! I loved those books as a kid....actually....I still read them....(^_^) But that was what made me interested in Visual Novels, the option to change the story based on what you would say or do. I love them~! Kinetic are okay, but there are only a few I enjoy.
ImageImageImage

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#10 Post by HikkiPanda »

I love both ^^, as long as the story is good :P

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

If the story is really good, I don't mind with kinetic, but I definitely like VN better. If I don't want the interactivity part (and the multi-ending), I would watch anime instead or at least reading a novel.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#12 Post by Aleema »

Hmm, well, the thing for me is that I generally want more than just a novel. Whether the story branches or not, I play VNs if they're entertaining. I have a backlog of novels I can read if I just wanted a book, so I generally look for gameplay, not how many endings there are. For instance an RPG can be totally linear (story-wise) and I would be very okay with that, because something else is variable and is affected by my choices. Do I like branches? Heck yeah. But it wouldn't make a VN/story better or worse to me. In fact, it can often make a story worse.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

Oh, I thought we are talking about visual novels? Not some hybrid or other genre of games...

If we're talking about games, then it doesn't really matter whether it's linear, branching, or even sandbox (though a sandbox game could also be linear, branching, or have multi-endings). FFXIII is very linear, but I love it. RE4 and 5 are also linear, but I also love both of them. To the extreme, Virtual On is also very linear, but I really really love it.

Although still... I still prefer branching/multi-ending. I kinda hope if there's a way to revive Aerith (and ending where Could ends up with her), for example ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#14 Post by Aleema »

Yes, we are very much talking about visual novels. :D I personally think games like Re:Alistair or Planet Stronghold are still a visual novel even though it has gameplay outside of a menu choice. I just apply my fun-o-meter towards all games to visual novels, too.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#15 Post by Mink »

Eh, I really don't have a preference for one or the other. I don't see how kinetic novels are all that different from, you know, normal novels. I like to read novels, so why wouldn't like them? (Unless I just didn't want to take up space on my computer, but that's what my external/portable hard drive is for)

And either way, both have to interest me story-wise. If a VN has a billion different choices/paths/whatever, it doesn't really matter if what it's about doesn't interest me at all, and the same goes for a KN (story-wise, I mean).
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*