B X G Vs G X B stories...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kei

B X G Vs G X B stories...

#1 Post by Kei »

How would the voice of the protagonist differs from a G X B one to a B X G one? Is there much noticeable difference in speech styles and all that? I mean, both are kinda like the same thing. If I create a girl with a strong personality that dates guys in a G X B novel, is the "voice" same as a B X G one? Kinda confused, lols. (Since the books I read, it seems that most girls are strong enough to kick men's butt nowadays lol.)

bunny-gypsy
Regular

Re: B X G Vs G X B stories...

#2 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Just let the character be who she is. Is she a tough girl, a calm girl, a girl who loves jokes, a romantic, etc?

Men and women are different, yes, but everyone is different and has his/her own personality.

Girls can be strong, boys can be soft and vice-versa. There is no need to stereotype the genders.

Let the characters be true to themselves. :)
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

clannadman

#3 Post by clannadman »

Alot of dating sims tend to have a 'faceless' protagonist, wherein the main character has a personality that is identifiable to almost anybody who plays it. They think very normal things, live very normal lives etc. This doesn't make their own story more interesting but it allows the player to feel more involved in the game.

Kei

#4 Post by Kei »

Probably thinking of a tough one, somewhat like a no-nonsense approach, but like that guy in secret. I'm always thinking how does the voice thing works, since I'm a guy and all that. Would she be any different? =X
lot of dating sims tend to have a 'faceless' protagonist, wherein the main character has a personality that is identifiable to almost anybody who plays it. They think very normal things, live very normal lives etc. This doesn't make their own story more interesting but it allows the player to feel more involved in the game.
In other words... taking a neutral approach would be better?

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

Please make a BxG story instead ;__; they're becoming an endangered species... Girls want to play them too you know...
Ehem, anyways.

Well, how do you think your character would talk? Imagine her in real life. Also a general rule is that girls are often more feeling based than action based (don't kill me, feminists!) so when she thinks, she would probably think more of what people around her are feeling than what they're doing.

Example:

Boy: I watched as the cat jumped off the high balcony onto the concrete. Time seemed to stand still It amazingly landed on all fours and ran off. I noticed it was limping a little... Was it injured in the fall?

Girl: My eyes widened in terror as the cat sprang off the high balcony. I could see the fear in its eyes as it stared toward the cold concrete. Luckily it landed on all fours, but it didn't look very happy about it. It began to limp off... I think it's hurt!

I'm not a very good writer so this probably isn't the best example. However, that's how I write for different gender characters. It depends on personality as well, these examples could easily work for any gender depending on the kind of character you're going for.

If you're making a dating sim that focuses more on character interaction than the story, you should go the neutral route instead (as mentioned before). That way the player can feel like they're inside the character, instead of just choosing paths for a different person.

clannadman

#6 Post by clannadman »

Fawn wrote:
Please make a BxG story instead ;__; they're becoming an endangered species... Girls want to play them too you know...
You're in luck. I should have one that'll be along within a month or so :P

LadyAvori
Regular

#7 Post by LadyAvori »

There is a difference, I just have no idea how to explain it! Because men and women ARE different, so of course they would think differently.

I think Fawn has a good example. To me (this is not every guy/girl btw) it seems a guy would be more amazed at how far the cat fell and still managed to land on its feet, where as a girl would be more concerned about if the cat is injured from falling that far despite landing on its feet.

LOL how great would it be if we could understand how the opposite sex thinks! That is probably why most writers suggests if you're going to write from the first person pov then write from your own sex at first. Of course that depends on how well you write. Personally I only feel comfortable writing from the pov of a girl, at least right now.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#8 Post by Fawn »

I actually have the exact opposite problem hahaha. I feel if I write from the perspective of a girl it'll become too flowery x_x So most of my main characters are either male or tomboyish/masculine females. It's definitely a balancing act!

J. Datie
Veteran

#9 Post by J. Datie »

Develop a strong personality for the character, then write based on that. Of course, the character's gender, along with age, upbringing, ect. ect., are going to have an effect on their speaking style, but relying on just one of them to shape how they act, speak and think is an easy way to end up with a flat, generic character. That may work for lesser, side characters, but it's a big no-no for the protagonist.

Basically, don't ask "how does a GxB protagonist talk?", ask "how does my protagonist talk?".

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

There are very few absolutes when it comes to gender - men in a particular culture are more likely to do X than women, but it's certainly not going to be all of them, and traits considered masculine or feminine in one culture may not be at all in another. (And any sweeping statements about men and women have a strong chance of not matching some man or woman reading this!)

Better to think about your character than "a guy" or "a girl".

A lot of BxG games are written with "loser" protagonists, guys who screw up a lot, say stupid or pervy things in inappropriate situations, are a bit geeky or awkward, possibly cowardly/weak... and yet end up with girls fawning all over them anyway. Some players find these guys easy to identify with, other players are really sick of having to play someone that they don't want to be like.

A lot of GxB games, especially in Japan, are written with "helpless" protagonists, who are incapable of recognising the obvious, faint at the first sign of trouble and are constantly being both rescued and molested by their love interests. Some players enjoy this. Others are really really sick of it.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

If your gender = protagonist gender; write as yourself
Then for love interests, write as persons you personally are attracted to - it's your chance to let their personalities shine and show the world your ideal men/women!

If your gender is opposite protagonist gender; write as your Freudian inverse (anima/animus)
Then for love interests, write your hero / role models. Basically, in your opinion humanity will stand a better chance if it's these people that hook up.

Soilet

#12 Post by Soilet »

Well, I think it's depends of the personality of each character.
Certainly, a voice must match the characteristics of the personage, being the main character or not.

Maybe it can be interesting to let the player "develop the main character", letting him to choose when he start's a new game or even in the middle of the game (growing the main char).