Dropped Projects

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bunny-gypsy
Regular

Re: Dropped Projects

#91 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Silvere wrote:
Sapphi wrote:Face to face I just sort of blush, avoid prolonged eye contact, and stumble over my words like an idiot.
So basically you are not very experienced in it, extremely shy and not able to lead a conversation - therefore shutting yourself in, as chatting online is going perfectly.
Seriously, try to get out and talk with others or this will stay with you for a long long time !
Well, he/she's extremely shy or an introvert. What's so bad about that?

I'm not the most people-person either. I'm not anti-social, per se, but I usually don't like most people (in real life). But if I do like
people, it's only a few of them I would be close with. (Most of the time, I'm with family friends or relatives. I'm one of those
who prefer to be in tight-knit groups.)

Some people are introverts and some are extroverts.

I can never be like my mother who is extremely extrovert and talks to her lady friends a lot. I am trying to open
up more, but I seemed to get burned more than if I had just kept quiet. I can do small talk and joking around with
strangers, but if I'm not getting any responses back, I would just stop talking. Sometimes, I wouldn't know what to
talk about with some people, especially if they dislike most of the interests I like (or are also anti-social as well), so yeah...

For me (as a young adult female), It's hard to find people with similar interests, especially when you get into adulthood--when topics like work, taking care of children, going to college, gossiping about neighbors, chores, sometimes "partying", marriage, sex, diseases, deaths and other "real life" topics are the thing most older adults talk about. Finding (especially female) adults with the same interests in niche subjects like anime/manga, visual novels, and even games (which is mostly what teenage/young adult boys/some men would be willing to talk about) is difficult to find in real life.

So, yeah, I can understand why Silvere would prefer to talk online. It's a bit more easier to find people with similar interests online (due to forums with specific topics, etc) than offline.

My sister has aspergers syndrome (is an autism disorder), so she is even more anti-social--even with her own friends, she's not that sociable and would actually forget they were there sometimes, lol. Thing is, she doesn't realize she's being rude; it's just how her brain works. All I can do is gently remind her and encourage her, but socializing will always be something she will have difficulty with. She socializes better online, since she can find more young people with her same interests [anime/manga/vocaloids/etc] online than in real life, where
it's mostly older people in the neighborhood or young lusty teenagers with the brains of a peanut, lol.
Last edited by bunny-gypsy on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#92 Post by Samu-kun »

Hmm... I'd probably be more introverted, but I find talking on MSN to be much harder than talking face to face... Sometimes, I get depressed because it just feels like I'm talking to my computer. Also, it's pretty hard to care about people when they exist as text on a computer screen. It's also much easier to communicate when you can use facial and body expressions and vocal tones.

Jacket
Projects: Untitled, at the moment

#93 Post by Jacket »

Well, he/she's extremely shy or an introvert. What's so bad about that?

I'm not the most people-person either. I'm not anti-social, per se, but I usually don't like most people (in real life). But if I do like
people, it's only a few of them I would be close with. (Most of the time, I'm with family friends or relatives. I'm one of those
who prefer to be in tight-knit groups.)

Some people are introverts and some are extroverts.

I can never be like my mother who is extremely extrovert and talks to her lady friends a lot. I am trying to open
up more, but I seemed to get burned more than if I had just kept quiet. I can do small talk and joking around with
strangers, but if I'm not getting any responses back, I would just stop talking. Sometimes, I wouldn't know what to
talk about with some people, especially if they dislike most of the interests I like (or are also anti-social as well), so yeah...

For me (as a young adult female), It's hard to find people with similar interests, especially when you get into adulthood--when topics like work, taking care of children, going to college, gossiping about neighbors, chores, sometimes "partying", marriage, sex, diseases, deaths and other "real life" topics are the thing most older adults talk about. Finding (especially female) adults with the same interests in niche subjects like anime/manga, visual novels, and even games (which is mostly what teenage/young adult boys/some men would be willing to talk about) is difficult to find in real life.

So, yeah, I can understand why Silvere would prefer to talk online. It's a bit more easier to find people with similar interests online (due to forums with specific topics, etc) than offline.

My sister has aspergers syndrome (is an autism disorder), so she is even more anti-social--even with her own friends, she's not that sociable and would actually forget they were there sometimes, lol. Thing is, she doesn't realize she's being rude; it's just how her brain works. All I can do is gently remind her and encourage her, but socializing will always be something she will have difficulty with. She socializes better online, since she can find more young people with her same interests [anime/manga/vocaloids/etc] online than in real life, where
it's mostly older people in the neighborhood or young lusty teenagers with the brains of a peanut, lol.
tl;dr
If she's shy, she's shy. No point in forcing her to socialize if she has an easier time with it on the 'net.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬​▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

N U L I - S E C U N D U S

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬​▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I write shit.

I'll link you in my signature sometime, bay-bay.

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#94 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Samu-kun wrote:Hmm... I'd probably be more introverted, but I find talking on MSN to be much harder than talking face to face... Sometimes, I get depressed because it just feels like I'm talking to my computer. Also, it's pretty hard to care about people when they exist as text on a computer screen. It's also much easier to communicate when you can use facial and body expressions and vocal tones.
Yeah, it's more difficult to see people express themselves visually and so you can't read their facial/body expressions, etc.

I'm not saying one's better than the other. Both are offline/online good and have their pros and cons.

However, there are some people, even if they are doing things face to face, like my sisters with their disabilities or other people with autism, etc, who can't read people anyway, lol. Some people like the straightforward-ness of words/text on the screen or on paper vs. trying to figure out the vague-ness of interpreting people's body language as they talk.
Last edited by bunny-gypsy on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#95 Post by Sapphi »

I should clarify, I didn't mean I don't like to talk to people in person, just that I tend to express myself better if I have the opportunity to read over my own sentences before I send them to people. I can ramble a lot otherwise, and people probably get sick of it. (Also, lest I come off as a hikkikomori, be not alarmed. I do have a boyfriend, I just don't have a lot of other close friends.)

I am very introverted and get anxious around lots of people; it's the way I've always been. In high school, which was a "fresh start" for me in many social respects, I actually made it a point to socialize as much as possible. The school I went to was very small for a school so everyone knew who I was, and people who knew me would describe me as a "social butterfly".

However, this was very taxing on me. I would have a bad headache at the end of many school days from trying so hard. They say that lots of social interaction makes extroverts more energetic, but it's draining on introverts. Interestingly, while I was attempting this "social experiment", my creativity suffered.

After I transferred to another school and decided it was too much effort to "re-establish" myself in the social sphere, I pretty much only talked to a tiny group of friends I knew beforehand and my creativity skyrocketed. So, I don't really mind being shy, if it means my creative output is healthy.

Back on topic... (sorry to derail the thread)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#96 Post by LVUER »

Don't forget that when you're talking or socializing with person face to face, your brain will produce lots of kind of hormones that your body needs. This is something that you can't do online.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

clannadman

#97 Post by clannadman »

I guess this is an old idea really - what it is that artists sacrifice for their passion. There's a correlation of mental and physical health issues in many writers and artists, and I would guess that they most likely lacked social interaction for the periods in which they created their great works. Van Gogh was extremely depressive and was considered a talentless drunk by the townspeople. He had few friends, yet he created some of the most beautiful and thought-provoking paintings of the last two hundred years. I'm not suggesting that anybody here takes this route with creating visual novels, but it's an idea that's sort of occurred to me.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#98 Post by Silvere »

Sapphi wrote:( I do have a boyfriend, I just don't have a lot of other close friends.)
At least you have ones. I interpreted your answer like "Me not RL, me Internetz, because me no-social!" :wink:

I too like talking online more than iRL , but that´s just because I often can´t speak like I do in chats ( I love brabbling shit in a formal speech of older times - Which just isn´t turning out really well in RL D: ^^) and furthermore I sometimes got problems while talking as easily get distracted by things and therefore even forgetting the topic.. Not funny at all -.-
Aha, well, my collaborator friends are actually all online hahah.
Now that changes a lot, Fawn! *Stops envying you* :lol:

Edit:
By the way, forget about socializing. Get some close friends and be happy with them. All the others are nothing more than people who you can "talk" to :|
Like one guy I know everybody knows and likes but he doesn´t know the name of 90% of em, still himself always talking himself out of it and making some jokes so others think he knew them o_O Additionally, he feigns interest in the people around him so they keep liking him - Especially girls. He is telling shit all the way, he lies to everybody and fakes interests.. .. Just idiotic to watch as he gets along with everybody and that based on nothing but shit. <_< (Not to mention they wouldn´t help him at all if he got some serious troubles °_°)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#99 Post by KomiTsuku »

Silvere wrote: At least you have ones. I interpreted your answer like "Me not RL, me Internetz, because me no-social!" :wink:
No, that would be me. I pretty much have zero social contact outside of work. Even then, most people only pass me what I need or they want. Now, it isn't so much that I lack people skills or shy (heck, I used to be an actor). I just... I dunno. Even online I keep contact with others, even the freelancers I occasionally work with, to a bare minimum. Most of the time I just feel like a burden on those around me, so I just go back to my own work. Considering how often most people acknowledge my existence, offline and on, my theories are pretty much validated, creating a perpetual cycle and why collaborations and other joint games will almost never have my name in the credits.

Silvere
Veteran

#100 Post by Silvere »

KomiTsuku wrote: Even then, most people only pass me what I need or they want.
Time for a change!
Where are you from? :_D
Most of the time I just feel like a burden on those around me, so I just go back to my own work.
There we´ve got out problem. Get more self-assurance and talk other down to the point the say "No more plx" .. Most will just get an excuse and that´s it. So if there´s nothing coming from them 'bout quitting, everything´s ok! (Except it´s someone you like and he knows of it and doesn´t want to hurt you... ... <.<)
Considering how often most people acknowledge my existence, offline and on,
Do you go to ´em, say something or anything else? I´m loosing lots of contacts because I simply do NOTHING (As I´m not interested to chat with ´em at all..). I kinda hate it but still are somewhat happy when a friend of mine chats me. I don´t have anything to talk to him about, same goes for him, but he just says hi and when I´m in a good mood I reply and try to start a little conversation.. This helped me alot before I got some new friends as he was one of the only ones I got (Everyone kinda abandoned me because I wasn´t out in the nights <.<)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#101 Post by KomiTsuku »

Silvere wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote: Even then, most people only pass me what I need or they want.
Time for a change!
Where are you from? :_D
I do a lot of traveling, so I'm rarely in the same place for long. Somewhere in Nebraska, USA is where I reside when I actually am home. I meet a decent amount of people, but after I'm done, I go back to my life, alone as before.
Most of the time I just feel like a burden on those around me, so I just go back to my own work.
There we´ve got out problem. Get more self-assurance and talk other down to the point the say "No more plx" .. Most will just get an excuse and that´s it. So if there´s nothing coming from them 'bout quitting, everything´s ok! (Except it´s someone you like and he knows of it and doesn´t want to hurt you... ... <.<)
That generally requires me to have someone to talk to. It happens so infrequently, I end up bugling the small talk and just cut it short.
Considering how often most people acknowledge my existence, offline and on,
Do you go to ´em, say something or anything else? I´m loosing lots of contacts because I simply do NOTHING (As I´m not interested to chat with ´em at all..). I kinda hate it but still are somewhat happy when a friend of mine chats me. I don´t have anything to talk to him about, same goes for him, but he just says hi and when I´m in a good mood I reply and try to start a little conversation.. This helped me alot before I got some new friends as he was one of the only ones I got (Everyone kinda abandoned me because I wasn´t out in the nights <.<)
The most contacts I've ever had on any chat program was 3. Kinda hard to lose people when they weren't there to begin with. I used to join groups and whatnot, but I spent most of the time with the people not wanting to talk to me, so I just ended up not joining anything anymore. Hence why there is only one active person in IDHAS Studios, which means a lot more expenditure into freelancers and an increase in dropped projects.

Silvere
Veteran

#102 Post by Silvere »

KomiTsuku wrote:Somewhere in Nebraska, USA is where I reside when I actually am home. I meet a decent amount of people, but after I'm done, I go back to my life, alone as before.
What are you doing o_O? Meeting people, traveling? Seems nice :O
That generally requires me to have someone to talk to. It happens so infrequently, I end up bugling the small talk and just cut it short.
Step 1 for finding someone to talk you: Shared interests! There you go :D
The most contacts I've ever had on any chat program was 3.
... ... Woah. Never played any online-games? When I was like 14 I got around 250 ICQ-friends (Actually CS buddies etc.) ... Nothing like that happened to you in a game like "Whats your addy?" ? ._.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#103 Post by KomiTsuku »

Silvere wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote:Somewhere in Nebraska, USA is where I reside when I actually am home. I meet a decent amount of people, but after I'm done, I go back to my life, alone as before.
What are you doing o_O? Meeting people, traveling? Seems nice :O
I'm an engineer. Not as nice as you'd think. Folks I work with are nice... for the most part.
Step 1 for finding someone to talk you: Shared interests! There you go :D
Step 0: Finding someone to talk to; a lot harder, for me anyway. >.<;
The most contacts I've ever had on any chat program was 3.
... ... Woah. Never played any online-games? When I was like 14 I got around 250 ICQ-friends (Actually CS buddies etc.) ... Nothing like that happened to you in a game like "Whats your addy?" ? ._.[/quote]
*Grabs his cane* I've been an online gamer since you were in diapers. I was part of the original Go-Gaia back in '03. Furcadia in '00 (Not original, but still old as dirt). WoW and other MMO since the dawning of the age of Aquarius. I'm really just an NPC when it comes to most of that. I've honestly never had anyone ever ask me that.
Last edited by KomiTsuku on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silvere
Veteran

#104 Post by Silvere »

KomiTsuku wrote: I'm an engineer on recon planes. Not as nice as you'd think. A lot more sand and rocks than I prefer. Folks I work with are nice... for the most part.
How comes that you work on recon planes if you don´t like it? <_<
*Pointing at myself*
Maybe we have something in common, maybe we don´t - You won´t know until you try ;)
*Grabs his cane* I've been an online gamer since you were in diapers.
You played online games when you got 3? :O ^^
I've honestly never had anyone ever ask me that.
Are you chatting with the people?
Just a month ago in WoW (Friend paid for me, yay) I talked in a dungeon about everything that came to my mind and at the end I got another round with the shaman and while waiting for the next invite with the shaman I talked with her - And shortly before the invite we actually were astonished to see that we are from the same country!
So, just talk to the people :D

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#105 Post by KomiTsuku »

Silvere wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote: I'm an engineer on recon planes. Not as nice as you'd think. A lot more sand and rocks than I prefer. Folks I work with are nice... for the most part.
How comes that you work on recon planes if you don´t like it? <_<
Don't get me wrong, I love my job. There's just a lot of heartache that goes with it. It also allows me to have strong funding for making games. It's nice being able to afford costs for artists for 4 separate projects in addition to keeping random commissions (shameless plug: like this one of characters from AV:EP:2 Commission ) and other personal projects going in addition to living expenses. Then again, except for the artists I hire since I can't draw, it is just me on every other aspect, which leads to a higher dropped project rate. (*is trying his best to stay on topic*)
*Pointing at myself*
Maybe we have something in common, maybe we don´t - You won´t know until you try ;)
...I wish I had some sort of response that doesn't make me sound like a shy recluse. >.<;
*Grabs his cane* I've been an online gamer since you were in diapers.
You played online games when you got 3? :O ^^
They weren't online, but I have been playing games since then. Perks of being a super-genius who could read at 2, and Zelda didn't really require a lot of brainpower.
So, just talk to the people :D
...dang it. I'm yet again at a loss of words, which is rather remarkable for me. v.v I'm just... gyaaaaaaa...