WIP: A Confidant From Darkness(SCREENSHOTS AVAILABLE!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
jory014
Regular
Projects: Confidant From Darkness (VN), Stand By Me (NaNoRenO 2013)
Organization: CHILL Brigade

WIP: A Confidant From Darkness(SCREENSHOTS AVAILABLE!)

#1 Post by jory014 »

*DEMO COMING SOON!

*INSTEAD OF GIVING A PERCENTAGE STYLE UPDATE, I'D RATHER PRESENT TO YOU SCREENSHOTS INSTEAD. DEMO AS I HAVE SAID ABOVE WILL BE COMING SOON! (REFER BELOW OF THIS POST FOR THE SCREENSHOTS ^_^)*

Title: "A Confidant From Darkness"
Genre: Drama, Romance, mystery, (slight) Comedy
Type: GxB (can possibly be a BxG) Visual/Sound Novel (Otome)
Planned Date of Release: 2012-2013
Price : Free For All
Product Support: Might have a bonus feature

Summary:
A Confidant From Darkness is all about a girl, named Rika, a girl well-loved and admired by all--would it be her parents, peers, and teachers. It was definitely a life full of bliss.
But, as the wheel of fate spins, suddenly she was wrongly accused of theft, thus making everyone to turn their backs on her. Her family almost disowned her, her friends completely ignored, and left her behind, and the teachers started to look down on her.
However, as she struggles her way alone, would she be able to find someone who would believe in her, and at the same time find the culprit, who's really responsible for all of this? Will she be able to bring her life back? Or forever live a life of an outcast?

Characters
(finally updated the sprites...so here they are now! weeeh!)
RIKA
RIKA
Rika
The Main Protagonist
Description:
Rika, the main protagonist is a girl that lives her life to please everybody. Due to that fact, she has earned the love of her parents by being the "best daughter", her peers as being "miss popular", and by her teachers as being one of the "most responsible".
Though in reality, she never really wanted to please everyone, and be "miss popular", all she wanted was to have friends that would never leave her side, and most especially, have the recognition of her family, due to her family's high expectations from her, and the fact that ever since she was young she was lowly regarded by her parents and all her relatives, and is labeled the dumbest among the clan.
But, due to the fact that she grew to love the attention she's getting at school, she just tried to retain her the current life that she has and makes sure that it stays that way by living as a person that everyone wanted her to be. However, due to the false accusation, her current stable life that she has tried to build up all these years started to crumble down causing everyone around her to immediately betray her, including her family.
She used to be really close with Chase during her younger days, and is the only person, who knows what she really is.
However, ever since Middle School, they suddenly grew apart and started talking less and less. This is also, the point where Rika decided to become what she currently to cope up with the loss.
Rika is actually just like any other girl that loves cute things, and most of all, MUSIC. She usually appears calm, and cool as her peers would always view her, but deep inside she's always fearful and cautious of what people think of her, which gives her another reason to strive for perfection.
She hates cockroaches, being an outcasts, and under-appreciated.

Other Main Characters:
CLAIRE
CLAIRE
Claire
Rika's Best Friend
Description
Claire is Rika's bestfriend ever since Middle School. She is usually shy and would just follow Rika around quietly, but definitely admires her best friend so much. She is also the type to go with the flow, regardless. In short, she's just like the girl without a backbone, and is prone to groupthink.
In contrast to her friends, she's very simple in style, and not all that girly, but is still accepted by Tara due to the fact that Claire is the only person that would put up with her attitude.
She's the type of person who hated conflict, thus would often yield to anybody just to minimize whatever conflict crosses her way.

TARA
TARA
Tara
Rika's Friends
Description:
Tara is one of Rika's friends, and is definitely a person who really aspires to be popular. She really loves making herself beautiful and being beautiful. She doesn't care what people think, as all she cares about is being the best girl out there and being popular, which is probably one of the reasons why she even befriended Rika--to attain a popular status.
She's also the type of person who likes the stuff that's 'in' and hates what's not.
She really likes Chase, and would do anything to get Chase to like her.
She hates losers, and would gladly trample them down even more.
CHASE
CHASE
Chase
Rika's Friend?
Description:
Like Rika, he's definitely one of the most popular guys around, and is a basketball player(actually the captain of the team). He's well loved by all, especially by the girls due to his looks, which is enough to get Tara's attention.

He's usually cool and collected, and mostly gentle to girls regardless of their feelings towards him, however, he does kind of hate it when girls are being mean to other girls, as much as he hate guys who belittle the weak. In short, bullying.

He doesn't really care about popularity, as all he cares about is doing what he wants regardless of how people view them.
Chase and Rika used to be really close friends ever since they were young, and is the only person, who knows the real Rika, however, during Middle School, they have seemed to have grown apart and started to hang out less and less.

CLYDE
CLYDE
Clyde
One of the guy's in Rika's Class
Features: Chocolate Brown Hair & Hazel eyes
Description:
Clyde is a very anti-social person, and would prefer to hang out alone. Due to that fact, his existence is almost to the point that he's invisible.
He has no friends at all, but he's a very gentle guy, who wouldn't hesitate to give a calm smile to anybody in certain circumstances. However, is oftentimes cold in words, and usually stoic though in contrast to his boy-next-door appearance.
He just really disliked crowds, and being in loud places.
He is probably a guy that Tara would never lay her eyes on to.

=Other Characters=
Karina
Karina
Name: Karina
Bio:
An easy-going girl that loves to snooze.
Teacher Jun
Teacher Jun
Name: Jun
Bio: The most strict teacher in Presumption Academy. Referred by Rika as Jun-jun. He's very legalistic and sees the world black and white and enjoys to see his students suffer and give them low grades whenever possible. However, he has favors over those who work hard and have high grades.

Okay, first of all, the characters were all courtesy of -Tag our Sprite artist! (yeah XD, aren't they wonderful??)

anyhow, at least you know where we are...

I won't be posting any screenshot yet... I'll do that around November to first week of Decemeber, or whenever time would allow it, when I have finalized the Interface

the current team is:
me: Writer, Programmer, UI artist, Composer, Proofreader
-Tag: Sprite Artist, UI artist, CG Artist
shizuka722: Co-Writer, UI artist, CG Artist
Danna: Co-writer
Tyler(H-R Interactive): Programmer
Andrew: Voice Actor

For more info regarding our updates, please just check out JAviz7's official page:
http://jory0147-javiz7.tumblr.com/

(future projects are also posted there!)

This is our First time we're making a game (well, me perhaps XD), but I can assure you that it will be awesome! It is simple for now, but don't worry this one is like our practice ground, on our next game, we'll definitely try to make it more longer and complex, which is what I used to think, but since this is OUR FIRST GAME, even with a simple plotline we'll definitely make it an awesome game! (and from the happenings ever since day one... the game has evolved from how i perceived it at first... so I can say its 10x better than originally planned.)
YES, STORY LINE SEEMS SIMPLE, but that's just the scratch on the surface... :p

Though, still be easy on me for now! :p

I really want to hear what you think about it! Would it suck, be so-so or what, JAviz7 will definitely accept it!

ALSO...

I'd like you to all know that JAviz7 is always open for new members, presently and in the future!

If you'd like to know more about us, you can simply go to our website!

As of now, I'd like say that our team is non-commericial, but then again you can't say what can happen in the future :p

anyways, tc!

HERE ARE THE SCREENSHOTS
screen shot 1.PNG
Screen Shot 2.PNG
screen shot 3.PNG
Screen Shot 4.PNG
Screen Shot 5.PNG
Last edited by jory014 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 28 times in total.
"We're Cute and Cool, while Chilling- CHILL Brigade-"

W.I.P:
-A Confidant From Darkness
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... t=11427url
-~Stand By Me~
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19784

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]
http://chillbrigade14.wix.com/chill-brigade

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: WIP: A Confidant From Darkness By: JAVIZ

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

You have a good start with the characters, but I feel they lack dimensionality. The main character especially comes across as a Mary-Sue. No one is that perfect. When designing characters you need to make sure they are balanced in a way that is similar to real humans. There are lots of good resources out on the internet that can help you when it comes to writing characters. Generally speaking, everyone has a reason to be a certain way and a reason to do what they do. No one is a bitch for no reason, there is always something that motivates them. A common one is a need to boost their own self-esteem by belittling others. It is the backstories and motives that make characters interesting and will make them much easier to write. Understand thy characters!

jory014
Regular

#3 Post by jory014 »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:You have a good start with the characters, but I feel they lack dimensionality. The main character especially comes across as a Mary-Sue. No one is that perfect. When designing characters you need to make sure they are balanced in a way that is similar to real humans. There are lots of good resources out on the internet that can help you when it comes to writing characters. Generally speaking, everyone has a reason to be a certain way and a reason to do what they do. No one is a bitch for no reason, there is always something that motivates them. A common one is a need to boost their own self-esteem by belittling others. It is the backstories and motives that make characters interesting and will make them much easier to write. Understand thy characters!
Whoops, I guess I made her too perfect for her own good. XD
Thanks for the tip. ;p I'll definitely keep that in mind. Well, I'll have to admit that I really didn't pay much attention in the characters yet as I concentrated more on the story per se, and the other areas of game making, but now, I think I'll definitely give them more attention.

Anyways, I took your advice, and added more to Rika's background, and also did the same with the rest. I hope that they're better now. :)) (if the rest are still lacking tell me. I'll happily revise that and also incorporate the fic per se.)

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#4 Post by TakeOverWorld »

All of your characters look like they have the same eyes.
Aw, it seems so cold that everyone would turn their back on her after she was accused of theft. It sounds interesting.

jory014
Regular

#5 Post by jory014 »

TakeOverWorld wrote:All of your characters look like they have the same eyes.
Aw, it seems so cold that everyone would turn their back on her after she was accused of theft. It sounds interesting.
Lol, I see.
But, don't worry those are just drafts and me practicing to draw. After the completion of the rest of the parts of the game, we'll definitely revise their looks, and that includes the eyes to make the characters distinct from each other. (actually, I might put less details on the hair, though o.O since I'm coloring it manually in photoshop as in using brush then rubbing the mouse pad on the surface lol, that is unless our team gets an artist! :p)

And I am glad to hear that you're interested! I'm hoping that you'd look forward for our final release of the game!! ^^,

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

jory014
Regular

Re: WIP: A Confidant From Darkness By: JAVIZ- GXB

#6 Post by jory014 »

Well, just so you guys would know, due to the fact that we finally have an our artist in our team (thanks so much campusesi!), finally we have awesome character designs!! :p
Do look forward for that!!
(we'll be showing it, once I get permission from our wonderful artist to show you guys a preview :p)

Also, due to the fact, that she's an awesome artist, and this will be JAviz7's first release, me and my co-writer is thinking of expanding the story line into a deeper level to make it more awesome.
So, yeah, definitely expect a lot from this thing :p

So, the current status is:

Story: 50% complete
(the plotline is the same but due to the reasons that we're revising it, it went back to 50%, but progressing at a definitely fast rate, so rather than 50% it is 50% and counting :D)
Encoding: 50% complete
(This will be done immediately when story is complete, thus shall plummet back to 50% until any progress to be done at this area)
Characters: 20% complete
(yes, this is also progressing of course especially now that we have an awesome artist with us)
Sounds/Music: 10% Complete
(also progressing ever so slowly, this will start progressing more faster once the story is done)
Background: 90% Complete
(almost complete, it's just that due to the revision we might add more scenes that will stay until the finalization of the story)
Interface: (a new added attribute that I forgot to mention) 30%

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

jory014
Regular

#7 Post by jory014 »

OKAY, so the thing about the artist went down drain :( (well, we're asking for services for free, we can't expect them to stay right?)

Rawr... =.= That honestly sucked, but what can I ask for, right?

So, current status went to:

Story: 50%
(the plot is complete, the story is complete, but we wanted to make it more awesome thus reworking on it. After all, it's our first game ;p)
Encoding: 50%
(will be continued once story is totally complete, but also done slowly since we're also doing the interface)
Characters:20%
(due to the fact that our artist backed down, it will stay like that for a while. Hoping someone would still respond to our recruitment ads =.= like I said, JAviz7 needs you!)
Sound/Music: 10%
(not much of a problem, but will be done immediately fast once the top ^3 up there are done)
Background: 90%
(not much of a problem as well, but can still be improved if we have an official background artist)
Interface:30%
(semi-not much of a problem, but if we can get experienced players to make our interface on par with the rest, then that's definitely a thing that we wanted)

So, basically, there's no development, but still trying. =.=

Well, since the artist was able to to do something... at least the designs are now better... and here they are:

Rika
THIS IS RIKA
THIS IS RIKA
Claire
THIS IS CLAIRE (WITH THE IMPROVED LOOK, well, i changed the look... then made our supposed artist did the look and that's how she ended up)
THIS IS CLAIRE (WITH THE IMPROVED LOOK, well, i changed the look... then made our supposed artist did the look and that's how she ended up)
Tara
THIS IS TARA
THIS IS TARA
Chase
THIS IS CHASE
THIS IS CHASE
Clyde
THIS IS CLYDE
THIS IS CLYDE
So, hoping that one day we finally get one artist that could actually stay for at least a project =.=

But, we're definitely on the move, a lost of one doesn't change our goal. We're still going to release on the mentioned dates said above.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT US!

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

jory014
Regular

STATUS UPDATE

#8 Post by jory014 »

Story: 70%
Just revising and adding more scenes and we're good to go, this will be 100 by august
Encoding: 50%
just waiting for the story to be finalized
Characters:20%
(due to the fact that our artist backed down, it will stay like that for a while. Hoping someone would still respond to our recruitment ads =.= like I said, JAviz7 needs you!)
Sound/Music: 10%
(not much of a problem, but will be done immediately fast once the top ^3 up there are done)
Background: 95%
(not much of a problem as well, but can still be improved if we have an official background artist)
Interface:30%
(semi-not much of a problem, but if we can get experienced programmers to make our interface on par with the rest, then that's definitely a thing that we wanted)

over all completion:
45.83%

Yep, so if there is an artist available to pick this up, we're definitely much happy to accept you with open arms!! (WE SERIOUSLY NEED YOU!!)

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#9 Post by Snow Blossom »

The character designs are lovely. I like Rika a lot - I have a soft spot for people who try to be perfect but are actually fragile and insecure ^^

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#10 Post by Hayzel »

All your males are super adorable X3~ I might have to play this~

jory014
Regular

#11 Post by jory014 »

Snow Blossom wrote:The character designs are lovely. I like Rika a lot - I have a soft spot for people who try to be perfect but are actually fragile and insecure ^^
Thanks a lot!!

(which character design though, the original or the new ones?:p But of course, I bet its the new ones hahaha! XD )

anyways glad to hear that you liked Rika a lot :) It actually took a lot of work to make her. :))

Anyways, do look forward for our release!!
Hayzel wrote:All your males are super adorable X3~ I might have to play this~
IKR! I really liked the way the character designs (the new ones posted near the end) were made and drawn XD But, sadly our artist backed down :(

However, still looking for a new one, though if not then it's either I'll try mimicking the designs or use the old ones posted up there...(which I am hoping not to happen as I really like the new designs as well)

and, wow thanks!!

Look forward for our release then!! :D

We'll try our best to work as fast yet careful as we can to bring to all of you this game!!! :D

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#12 Post by TakeOverWorld »

I like the new character designs :) I hope you can find an artist soon.

jory014
Regular

#13 Post by jory014 »

TakeOverWorld wrote:I like the new character designs :) I hope you can find an artist soon.
Lol, IKR. I honestly liked them very much too. (even my friends do so too)

Oh well, yep, we sure do hope to find one soon enough. :)

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

jory014
Regular

Re: WIP: A Confidant From Darkness By: JAviz7- GXB

#14 Post by jory014 »

FINALLY HAVE A NEW SPRITE ARTIST, a CG/UI ARTISTand also a PROOFREADER!

Thanks for Tag-, miyoyan, and manga_otaku for helping JAviz7 with A Confidant From Darkness!!

W.I.P:
-~Stand By Me~

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]

jory014
Regular

Re: WIP: A Confidant From Darkness By: JAviz7- GXB

#15 Post by jory014 »

Okay, hi guys! It took me a long time to update, but of course this is game is not discontinued nor dropped and is moving.... :)) (I didn't have the time to update here and in our website as I am balancing game developing with finals

and to make you guys know that we are, here are the new character designs made by our new artist! :D

and seeing that we're planning to add a bonus feature, we might also add a new character :)

Well, that is all!

The story is of course almost done in revisions... :) and we're starting to do basic encoding now, which will all be done by august, and by the following months will be all about the music, the bg, the characters, and the UI.
Attachments
Clyde
Clyde
Chase
Chase
Tara
Tara
Claire
Claire
Rika
Rika