linux installation

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

linux installation

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Linux novice here, so please bear with me...

I recently installed Fedora Core 5 on my desktop, and would like to work on my project from there- but I can't get Ren'Py to run.

I downloaded the tarball and untarred it to /home/junichi/py4renpy-2.3.5-5.5.0
I downloaded Ren'Py 5.5.2b and extracted it to /home/junichi/Desktop

I then typed
/home/junichi/py4renpy-2.3.5-5.5.0/python /home/junichi/Desktop/renpy-5.5.2b/run_game.py
and got the following output
Linux Terminal wrote:Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/junichi/Desktop/renpy-5.5.2b/run_game.py", line 42, in ?
renpy.bootstrap.bootstrap(renpy_base)
File "/home/junichi/Desktop/renpy-5.5.2b/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 106, in bootstrap
import renpy.display.presplash
File "/home/junichi/Desktop/renpy-5.5.2b/renpy/display/presplash.py", line 31, in ?
import pygame.display
File "/home/junichi/py4renpy-2.3.5-5.5.0/lib/python2.3/pygame/__init__.py", line 75, in ?
from pygame.base import *
ImportError: /home/junichi/py4renpy-2.3.5-5.5.0/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
When I saw the "Permission denied" I tried logging in as root, and issuing the same command, but I had the same problem. Any help?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

A quick google search of the problem makes it seem selinux related. Read some of the hits at:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ca ... gle+Search

to see how to fix it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Well, I disabled SElinux, but still get the error. Maybe a reboot would resolve it.
EDIT: Nope- still not working... maybe I'll try some more after I get some sleep...

Yurand

#4 Post by Yurand »

Is it possible to get source code for renpy? I can't find it.

I downloaded:
py4renpy-2.3.5-5.5.0.tar.gz

and I see it contains x86 binaries for sdl, python, pygame, renpy. I am amd64 user so they are useless to me.
(I don't know how to build that _renpy.so)

P.S I think, you don't need supply sdl, python, pygame with renpy for linux since anyone can install them from distributive. Package that install like: "python setup.py install" and readme that specify dependancies will be perfect. So it will be possible to write ebuild, build deb, rpm.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#5 Post by PyTom »

The source for Ren'Py is part of the Ren'Py tarball, you can try compiling the dependencies yourself by downloading them from:

http://www.bishoujo.us/renpy/dl/lgpl/

The reason I provide all the libraries is that many of them need to be complied with specific options. (To ensure games remain identical on all three supported platforms.)

RedSlash
Veteran

#6 Post by RedSlash »

The reason I provide all the libraries is that many of them need to be complied with specific options.
Specific options??? I installed all the dependancies myself without knowledge of those specific options.. are there some important ones I should know about?
"python setup.py install"
I believe that's what you do in the modules/ directory after you install all the dependancies. You also need to specify the RENPY_DEPS_INSTALL variable to where the dependancies are installed (i.e. /usr). Thereafter you should be able to run games with just the standard python command.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

RedSlash wrote: Specific options??? I installed all the dependancies myself without knowledge of those specific options.. are there some important ones I should know about?
Yes. For example, SDL_sound needs to use a specific mod player library (of the two it supports), because only that one is reentrant. The options to freetype can change the look of the fonts a little. And so on.

Remember, my goal is pixel-correct output on 3 platforms.